r222: Added a way to re-sort the player's inventory

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

r222: Added a way to re-sort the player's inventory

Post by Samuel »

r222 added a feature to sort the inventory:
Added a way to re-sort the player's inventory by moving items to top/bottom.

1) Beside the fact that I would like a drag and drop sort possibility like the one the app "quick settings" provides, (I don't know if it is complicated or if it is an android listbox feature that only needs to be "activated") I think moving items to top/bottom of the list might generate frustration:
If you want to sort the inventory for the first time, you may only need a maximum of "N-1" operations. (let N be the number of items available in the inventory.)
Later in an almost sorted inventory just moving one item one place up or down will need a maximum of "floor(N/2)" operations. (This might generate frustration.)
Also this option might not be very intuitive. Might result in "N²/2" operations.

2) Only adding moving items one place up/down isn't a good solution either:
If you want to sort the inventory for the first time, you may only need a maximum of "N²/2" operations. (This might generate even more frustration.)
Later in an almost sorted inventory just moving one item one place up or down will need a maximum of "1" operation.

3) Providing both actions in combination would result in:
If you want to sort the inventory for the first time, you may only need a maximum of "N-1" operations. (let N be the number of items available in the inventory.)
Later in an almost sorted inventory just moving one item one place up or down will need a maximum of "1" operation.
The menu containing the move actions (and the previous entries like "info", "use", "drop", "assign to quickslot") will grow too much and will be in need of a scroll bar. (This might generate frustration, because it would result in "2N-2" or "2" operations)

What do you think?
I tend to option #3.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: r222: Added a way to re-sort the player's inventory

Post by nyktos »

he said that drag & drop would leave too big of a footprint

he is considering "grouping" similar items together,
but that's only if he can get it to look nice.

i agree that moving an item up, or down,
one slot would take ages once you have a big bag.
(+1 samuel)

on a similar note -
when i asked about linking the boxes at the inns...
he said he was thinking of something like a backpack to store things you dont use, but want to save.
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: r222: Added a way to re-sort the player's inventory

Post by Antison »

I think grouping "like" items together by category is good enough. This is how I have mine sorted. Its just a matter of how you would like the categories listed. For example, I have all my healing items listed first starting with bonemeal. I have my legendary & extraordinary items listed last with various other item wedge between the two.

With that said, there is no way that oskar can implement a grouping functionality that satisfies all or atleast gives us full control w/o developing some sort of configuration screen. Here comes the business application developer in me coming out.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"