v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Weapon- & armour categorization

Discussions of the development process of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Weapon- & armour categorization

Post by oskarwiksten »

For the next version of Andor's Trail, I would really like to categorize all the items that we have in the world in a more fine-grained categorization than what we have right now. Currently, items only have a "category", that basically states whether the item is a weapon, a shield, a hat, a potion and so on. For wearable items, I would like to expand this to different categories, for example "leather armour", "sword", "axe" and so on - and not just the current "category" that we have today.

My view is that we will be able to use this fine-grained categorization for weapon- and armour-specialization skills. For example, one player might choose to focus skills on axes and light armour, and gain advantages while wielding & wearing that type of equipment. Another player might choose to focus on swords, tower shields and heavy armour. As you know, more choises about character devlopment is always good in the world of Andor's Trail.

I'd really like the categorization to separate the different item types that we have today into categories such that there is no category that is the "best one". Maybe we'll have to do some balancing by introducing new items in the categories that don't have as many items in them.

I'd like to start a discussion on what types of categories that we should use in the future. At first, we will need to categorize weapons and armour into different categories. Also, keep in mind that we are limited in the types of items that we might have by the graphics that are available, so adding a lot of new item types might not be feasible without also somehow getting a lot of new graphics for them.

My initial thought was a categorization that looks something like this:
Weapons (idea 1):
  • Axe
  • Broadsword
  • Club/hammer
  • Dagger/shortsword
  • Longsword
Note to self: would also need to add skills: "one-handed fighting style", "two-handed fighting style"
Note to self: how would we categorize scepters, flails, staffs?

Weapons (idea 2):
  • Axe
  • Two-handed swords
  • One-handed swords
  • Daggers
  • Club/hammer
  • One-handed clubs/hammers
  • Two-handed clubs/hammers
Armour:
  • Light armour (leather, cloth)
  • Medium armour (chainmail, open steel helmets)
  • Heavy armour (plate mail, closed steel helmets)
What are your thoughts on what categories we might have?
/Oskar
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Weapon- & armour categorization

Post by Sarumar »

Intresting, some though, ideas, etc

-I like the weapon idea 2. Please add 2 handed axes and chain weapons here. Scepters, wands and staff fits easily in club weapons category.

-Add shield skill and category, light and heavy ones and maby bucklers too. Buckler are small shield wrapped in to your upper arm, befefits are you can use 2 handed weapon at same time. Maby there are spiked shield witch can be use in attack too ?

-I like to see ofhand weapon skill. Then you can use light weapon in of hand and make one extra attack in round at -50% AC and AD. Or use your shield to make an attack
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Oskar,
I love the idea of further weapon categorization :!:
You didn't mention the legendary & extraordinary items. How would this affect my favorite weapon, the RoL?

You mentioned graphics; or that lack of them. I would really like if somebody in the community could create more unique images. Each weapon having its own image really helps the realistic aspect of the game.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Bard
android_version: 4.0

Post by Bard »

tek wrote:You didn't mention the legendary & extraordinary items. How would this affect my favorite weapon, the RoL?
We just need MORE L&E items :D
Bard
android_version: 4.0

Post by Bard »

+1 for Idea 1
plus:
- bare handed!
Sarumar wrote:-Add shield skill and category, light and heavy ones and maby bucklers too. Buckler are small shield wrapped in to your upper arm, befefits are you can use 2 handed weapon at same time. Maby there are spiked shield witch can be use in attack too ?

-I like to see ofhand weapon skill. Then you can use light weapon in of hand and make one extra attack in round at -50% AC and AD. Or use your shield to make an attack
+1 for this too
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

Bard wrote:
tek wrote:You didn't mention the legendary & extraordinary items. How would this affect my favorite weapon, the RoL?
We just need MORE L&E items :D
+1, lots more..
Sarumar

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

oskarwiksten wrote: Weapons (idea 1):
  • Axe
  • Broadsword
  • Club/hammer
  • Dagger/shortsword
  • Longsword
Note to self: would also need to add skills: "one-handed fighting style", "two-handed fighting style"
Note to self: how would we categorize scepters, flails, staffs?
I like this the best. For Staffs and spears you can categorize them as Polearms. Scepters and flails could be cateogrized as Maces
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Oooooo! I got goosebumps reading this. :shock:

I think we should have categories and subcategories, sub-subcategories, etc.: ie. Weapons-Blunt Weapons-Club or Legendary-Rings-RoLS or Extraordinary-Weapons-Daggers-Dagger of Venom. Hopefully you get the idea. ;)

This should clear up the sceptres, flails, and staffs problem. :)
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome

Post by oskarwiksten »

Great ideas, everyone! What I think we'll do is introduce an even more fine-grained categorization than what was suggested above, and just build the skills from that. From the types of items we have now, I'd suggest we introduce the following item categories:
  • Dagger
  • Shortsword
  • Longsword
  • Two-handed sword
  • Broadsword
  • Axe
  • Greataxe
  • Club
  • Quarterstaff
  • Mace
  • Scepter
  • Warhammer
  • Giant hammer
  • Buckler
  • Shield, wood (light)
  • Shield, metal (light)
  • Shield, wood (heavy)
  • Shield, metal (heavy)
  • Tower shield
  • Headwear, cloth
  • Headwear, leather
  • Headwear, metal (light)
  • Headwear, metal (heavy)
  • Armor, cloth
  • Armor, leather
  • Hide armor
  • Armor (light)
  • Armor (heavy)
  • Chain mail
  • Splint mail
  • Plate mail
  • Gloves, cloth
  • Gloves, leather
  • Gloves, metal (light)
  • Gloves, metal (heavy)
  • Footwear, cloth
  • Footwear, leather
  • Footwear, metal (light)
  • Footwear, metal (heavy)
  • Necklace
  • Ring
  • Potion
  • Food
  • Gem
  • Animal part
  • Edible animal part
  • Liquid container
  • Money
  • Other
All items will be given one category, and the categories will then define what can be done with each item. For example, whether it may be equipped, which equipment slot it occupies, whether it is "usable", and so on. Each category will define a "size", that can determine things such as whether it may be used in the off-hand, or whether it will require both hands. This will also allow us to create specialization skills for particular armor sizes, which I really look forward to.

For weapons, we can then also do specialization skills that combine several categories, such as one skill that increases proficiency with "Club", "Mace" and "Scepter" categories. Likewise, we can do specialization skills that provides bonuses to those that fight unarmed and that have equipped items in the "cloth" armor categories.
/Oskar
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

+1 to Oskar (again), awesome ideas here.
Sarumar