Weapon- & armour categorization

Discussions of the development process of the game.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Weapon- & armour categorization

Post by sdevaney »

Pyrizzle wrote:
No need to apologize. It was a tough one to describe.

Reminds me of Sepgiroth from the FF games. He had the giant sword of my unending destruction.
Close..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephiroth_(Final_Fantasy)
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by DarkSavant13 »

sdevaney wrote:
Pyrizzle wrote:
No need to apologize. It was a tough one to describe.

Reminds me of Sepgiroth from the FF games. He had the giant sword of my unending destruction.
Close..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephiroth_(Final_Fantasy)
I have no idea why your link didn't work, it looks ok to me. In any case, here is the image from the wiki.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Wasn't trying to link an image, just noting that the spelling was off and to give reference for anyone unfamiliar.

But back on topic and all that....

I think starting with general categories such as swords, axes, clubs/mace and light, medium, heavy is the way to go. Adding refinement as necessary.
Xero
android_version: 2.2

Post by Xero »

tek wrote:
Ian wrote:I love the idea of arranging all weapons and armours!
What do you think about that:
If you use a two- handed weapon, you aren't able to wear a shield. So it would be nice if you had a skilll which allows you to hold for example a club, longsword etc. in only one hand. I suggest 3 levels. At the second level you can use longswords in one hand and in level 4, you can even hold a club/ axe in one hand. For this, a definition of the weapon weight would be very useful.
Two weapons in one hand? No way!
rofl!!!

On another note..I like the two handed weapon wield with one hand provided there is a drawback to doing so whether it is higher proficiency requirements, lower weapon stats, higher ap, ect
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by DarkSavant13 »

sdevaney wrote:Wasn't trying to link an image, just noting that the spelling was off and to give reference for anyone unfamiliar.

But back on topic and all that....

I think starting with general categories such as swords, axes, clubs/mace and light, medium, heavy is the way to go. Adding refinement as necessary.
Sorry about that, misunderstood.

I also think a generalization to start is the way to go, with sub-categories as needed.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

I found a new weapon type which hasn't been used so far but it might be useful for the future: a knife
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Johan
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by Johan »

DarkSavant13 wrote:I have no idea why your link didn't work, it looks ok to me. In any case, here is the image from the wiki.
The last parenthesis isn't included in the link. Apparently it's because of a bug in phpBB (PHPBB3-8476) which I noticed when I previewed this post.

Here's a correct link by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephiroth_(Final_Fantasy)
LordLancelot
android_version: 4.0

Post by LordLancelot »

Weapon categories:

1HS 1 handed slash: knife,dagger, short sword, broadsword, longsword, scimitar, falchion, Kris (waved dagger)
1HC 1 handed crush: Club, mace, morning-star, shield (when used to shield bash)
1hp 1 handed puncture: knife,dagger, rapier, short spear (1h spear), stiletto (dagger made for piercing attack vs chain mail)
2H Slash: 2H sword, Flamberge (waved 2h sword),
2h Crush: Staff, 2h mace, Flail (2h morning star),
Pole arm: 2h Spear, Halberd, Lucerne hammer

Armor Categories:
Shield
Leather
Chain
Plate

Than you can have weapon skills: 1HS, 1HC, 1HP, 2H, 2HC, pole arm
that increase the effectiveness of all weapons in their categories. (1 skill rank up the damage by 2 and increase the bonus AC of the weapon by 1.25 (if any), 2 rank +4 damage total and 1.5X AC bonus)

Same with Armor skills it increase the effectiveness of the armor worn. (1 rank can give 1.1X, 2 rank 1.2x and so on the block bonus and dr (if any), and reduce the minus of the other stats)

if you want to have 1 weapon in each hand, it best to have both in the same skill categories.

I would make 2 weapon fighting hit 2 monster at same time, and when only one monster do 1.5X AD.
I would make 2 handed weapons do increase AD damage base on their AP cost 5 ap cost should do 3X ad, 6ap should do 4X AD, 7+ ap cost should do 5X AD
The increase damage is to balance the lost attacks and AD vs bare hand or QS dagger.

P.S.
When you see a weapon like Knife, Dagger in 2 categories, it mean it can be used with more than one weapon skill.
L37 Naked: 86hp, 10 AP, AC 125, AD 22, 2.5k gp
Gear: HP 102, AC 259, 12AP, Dam 6X 28-34, BC 12, DR 1
Skills:40-44 evasion or weapons, 50 Fortitude 4, 54,58,62 F5 65
QS dag, Rem C V, E C Helm, Vacor's B, Marrow, Villain's ring 2X, L G attack, Rem Shield
freanceman
android_version: 3.0

Post by freanceman »

Ian wrote:I found a new weapon type which hasn't been used so far but it might be useful for the future: a knife

post the picture of your weapon here, so we can see it.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Benjamin Franklin-
elk ridge knife
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

freanceman wrote:
Ian wrote:I found a new weapon type which hasn't been used so far but it might be useful for the future: a knife

post the picture of your weapon here, so we can see it.
Welcome to the forums Freanceman!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------