v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Monster attacks

Discussions of the development process of the game.
mdmedlin
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Monster attacks

Post by mdmedlin »

I have noticed that when I start the game, one of the monsters is a beholder. I remember from the days I used to play D&D that beholders had one main eye and 10 different eye stalks. The question I have is there anything in the code for the monsters to give them separate attacks. I know one of the attacks was a death ray and another one was a hold person attack. If we could somehow code this into the monster attacks, I think that we can come up with some mobs that will give the players fits. I think that if we can impliment this, then the doors are open for all types of new monsters that will challenge even the sturdyest of adventurers.
Level 39 Exp: 1093259 HP: 111 AC: 189% AD: 22-29 AP: 6 CC: 10% CM:2 BC 54% DR: 0 SR:2543 RoLS: 1

frog killer
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Monster attacks

Post by DarkSavant13 »

mdmedlin wrote:I have noticed that when I start the game, one of the monsters is a beholder. I remember from the days I used to play D&D that beholders had one main eye and 10 different eye stalks. The question I have is there anything in the code for the monsters to give them separate attacks. I know one of the attacks was a death ray and another one was a hold person attack. If we could somehow code this into the monster attacks, I think that we can come up with some mobs that will give the players fits. I think that if we can impliment this, then the doors are open for all types of new monsters that will challenge even the sturdyest of adventurers.
I could create something like that. ;) Back in a minute. :P

*edit* Well, here ya go... Doom Gazer and Doom Gazer King. :D

The Doom Gazer is a giant, floating eye with a scaly, grey-brown covering over 80% of it.Multiple smaller eyes sit at the ends of stalks near the top of it's "head". How it floats and propels itself around is unknown. What is known is that it's dangerous! Each of the eyes on top of it's head (from five to seven) can fire an evil of a different kind ranging from poison to lightning. And if that wasn't enough, the beasts are known to bite a man whenever it can find an, opening, with it's sharp, jagged teeth. Leading the smaller Gazers are the Doom Gazer Kings, a particularly nasty specimen. When you see these demonic beasts coming, it's best just to run, as bones litter the ground from those that have tried to fight them.

Actor Conditions

Code: Select all

[id|name|iconID|category|isStacking|isPositive|hasRoundEffect|round_visualEffectID|round_boostHP_Min|round_boostHP_Max|round_boostAP_Min|round_boostAP_Max|hasFullRoundEffect|fullround_visualEffectID|fullround_boostHP_Min|fullround_boostHP_Max|fullround_boostAP_Min|fullround_boostAP_Max|hasAbilityEffect|boostMaxHP|boostMaxAP|moveCostPenalty|attackCost|attackChance|criticalChance|criticalMultiplier|attackDamage_Min|attackDamage_Max|blockChance|damageResistance|];
{chitin_armor|Chitinous Armor|actorconditions_1:54|2||true|||||||||||||1||||||||||10|2|};
{poisonous_tears|Poisonous Tears|actorconditions_1:62|3|1||1|2|-2|-1|||||||||||||||||||||};
{flame_burst|Flame Burst|actorconditions_1:2|2|1||1||-5|-1|||||||||||||||||||||};
{petrification|Petrification|actorconditions_1:9|2|0||0||||||0||||||1||-1|||-10|||||-10|1|};
{icey_stare|Icey Stare|actorconditions_1:27|0|||1|1|-1|-1|-1|-1|||||||0||||||||||||};
{mind_twist|Mind Twist|actorconditions_1:16|1|0||||||||||||||1|||1||-10|||||-10||};
{eye_bite|Eye Bite|actorconditions_2:0|2|||1|0|-10||||||||||||||||||||||};
{dark_cleansing|Dark Cleansing|actorconditions_1:20|2||1|1|1|20|40|||||||||||||||||||||};
{shocking_gaze|Shocking Gaze|actorconditions_1:46|2|||1||-10||||||||||||||||||||||};
Items

[id|iconID|name|category|displaytype|hasManualPrice|baseMarketCost|hasEquipEffect|equip_boostMaxHP|equip_boostMaxAP|equip_moveCostPenalty|equip_attackCost|equip_attackChance|equip_criticalChance|equip_criticalMultiplier|equip_attackDamage_Min|equip_attackDamage_Max|equip_blockChance|equip_damageResistance|equip_conditions[condition|magnitude|]|hasUseEffect|use_boostHP_Min|use_boostHP_Max|use_boostAP_Min|use_boostAP_Max|use_conditionsSource[condition|magnitude|duration|chance|]|hasHitEffect|hit_boostHP_Min|hit_boostHP_Max|hit_boostAP_Min|hit_boostAP_Max|hit_conditionsSource[condition|magnitude|duration|chance|]|hit_conditionsTarget[condition|magnitude|duration|chance|]|hasKillEffect|kill_boostHP_Min|kill_boostHP_Max|kill_boostAP_Min|kill_boostAP_Max|kill_conditionsSource[condition|magnitude|duration|chance|]|];
{gazer_lens|items_armours:7|Gazer Lens|1|4|0|6651|1||||||||||21||||||||||||||||||||||};
{gazer_lash|items_weapons_3:58|Gazer Lash|31|0|1|50|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||};
{gazer_juice|items_necklaces_1:4|Gazer Juice|20|4|0|540||||||||||||||1|60|60|||||||||||||||||};
{king_gazer_juice|items_necklaces_1:16|King Gazer Juice|20|3|0|1300||||||||||||||1|100|100|||||||||||||||||};
{gazer_topper_hat|items_armours:23|Gazer Topper|2|2|0|0|1||||||||||||{{chitin_armor|1|}}|||||||1|||||{{dark_cleansing|1|1|10|}}|{{shocking_gaze|1|1|10|}}|||||||};
Droplists

[id|items[itemID|quantity_Min|quantity_Max|chance|]|];
{gazer_drop|{
	{gazer_lens|1|1|1/1000|}
	{gazer_lash|1|1|70|}
	{gazer_juice|1|1|20|}
	}|};
{gazer_drop_king|{
	{gazer_topper_hat|1|1|1/10000|}
	{gazer_lash|1|1|70|}
	{gazer_lens|1|1|1/1000|}
	{gazer_juice|1|1|20|}
	{king_gazer_juice|1|1|5|}
	}|};
Monsters

[id|iconID|name|tags|size|monsterClass|unique|faction|maxHP|maxAP|moveCost|attackCost|attackChance|criticalChance|criticalMultiplier|attackDamage_Min|attackDamage_Max|blockChance|damageResistance|droplistID|phraseID|hasHitEffect|onHit_boostHP_Min|onHit_boostHP_Max|onHit_boostAP_Min|onHit_boostAP_Max|onHit_conditionsSource[condition|magnitude|duration|chance|]|onHit_conditionsTarget[condition|magnitude|duration|chance|]|];
{doom_gazer|monsters_eye4:0|Doom Gazer|gazer|1x1|2|||200|10|5|5|200|10|2|10|15|200||||1|||||{{chiton_armor|1|3|50|}}|{
	{poisonous_tears|1|5|10|}
	{icey_stare|1|3|10|}
	{flame_burst|1|3|10|}
	{shocking_gaze|1|1|10|}
	{eye_bite|1|1|20|}
	}|};
{doom_gazer_king|monsters_eye4:0|Doom Gazer King|gazer|1x1|2|||300|12|5|4|250|20|3|20|30|250||||1|||||{
	{chitin_armor|1|5|50|}
	{dark_cleansing|1|1|20|}
	}|{
	{poisonous_tears|1|5|20|}
	{flame_burst|1|3|20|}
	{petrification|1|3|20|}
	{icey_stare|1|3|20|}
	{mind_twist|1|3|20|}
	{eye_bite|1|1|20|}
	{shocking_gaze|1|1|20|}
	}|};
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

It's all in what type of actor conditions you want the mob to have the ability to inflict. ;)
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

I used to play D&D, I remember seeing that monster in the manuel. Scary lil bugger
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Pyrizzle wrote:I used to play D&D, I remember seeing that monster in the manuel. Scary lil bugger
Yeah, it was called a Beholder. One of the nastiest creatures to come across. Personally, I would have rather fought a dragon, lol. :lol:

This Doom Gazer is like a toned down version of that. Way toned down. :P
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

+1

don't forget mind flayers! (flairs / illithids)

:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

nyktos wrote:+1

don't forget mind flayers! (flairs / illithids)

:twisted:
I could give 'em a try. ;)

Think these are useful for populating the game with monsters?
mdmedlin

Post by mdmedlin »

OK that sort of thing is awesome, but you have a chance to invoke each of those actor conditions with each hit. What I was talking about, is x number of hits and with each hit, a chance for a different actor condition. For instance, a beholder has a chance for an instant kill, would you want that chance to happen 10 times a round, yeah I didn't think so. I can't see anything in the content editor that allowed for separate attacks that have an actor condition chance. I think that you would have to code it so that the monster would have so many attacks and each actor condition would have to be addressed individually. Such as:

on_attack
**calculate attack chance for first attack if true check for damage and actor condition**

and you would have to do that for each and every attack. I have not looked at code for a couple of years now, ever since I got out of school, unfortunately, my current job pays more than my class mates who got their degrees in CS with me, so I didn't try to get a CS job, but keep my wrench turning job that pays more, but I digress. I could take a look at the combat code and see what I can come up with, unless one of the programmers can help a brotha out and let us know what's up.
Level 39 Exp: 1093259 HP: 111 AC: 189% AD: 22-29 AP: 6 CC: 10% CM:2 BC 54% DR: 0 SR:2543 RoLS: 1

frog killer
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Each actor condition (magical attack) only has a 10% chance to happen (20% for Gazer Kings), and the Gazers only have 3 attacks a round, so sure, you could have 3 magical attacks hit you at once, but it is not very likely and these creatures are not meant to be easy kills. :P

Besides that, each attack, naturally, has an attack chance and with that chance comes the chance to miss which means no actor conditions then either. So, you have to go through the mob's attack chance and then a roll for each actor condition in order to get hit by anything at all.

As I have just said, it's not meant to be an easy mob, and it is created the way it is on purpose. Many have said that things are too easy after a certain level so I created the Gazers for those that actually appreciate a challenge. ;)

As far as I can see, nothing needs to be done except for you to get your character high enough level to beat them. Hehe. :P
mdmedlin

Post by mdmedlin »

Yeah, it was something I was thinking about in a quest I had in the back of my mind as far as collecting eye stalks for an npc. But I wasn't sure about what I would do about the mobs. How can I make a kick butt monster that will strike fear into the hearts of adventurers, make those that are 100+ want to make sure they have PLENTY of bonemeal to get them through one fight, but wait, that wasn't the main boss??!!?? Bwahhhahahahhhahha. So anyway, yeah I would like there to be a slight chance of each actor condition only once a round, to make it a tiny bit fair for our intrepid adventurourourours

frog killer