v0.7 ThinkTank

Discussions of the development process of the game.
lord midnight

v0.7 ThinkTank

Post by lord midnight »

Major Requested Items:

An Expanded World.the number one requested item so far is for more quests, more items, more maps. t have a bigger world to explore.

Character Customizationa few other people have asked for some level of character alteration, though it is a pale second to the request for a larger play area.
Character Customization Options:

Classes?
Skills?
Sprites?

What options do you want? Even 2 or 3 basic classes give 2 or 3 replays, to try the different types, get the best weapon for that type etc. What kind of options ? no classes? skills with or without masters?

There has been little interest in New Systems in Place:
Item Crafting, Henchmen/Pets, Online or Multiplayer anything, Action Zoom/Attack Effects, Ranged Attacks, Magic or Attack Techniques

My Wishlist:
Animation:
"Water" Layer - basic scrolling layer of tiles to represent water, lava, or mud, even if it is one layer with a constant x/y speed, it would still look ok.
"Effect" Layer - a layer for leaves, snow, rain or debris, dust, sand or cherry blossoms. particles of color, direction, size, shape, basic presets should be fine.

Animated Walking - just four way walking with 3 frames in each direction. this also gives a basic attack animation, toggling a frame or two of the left or right walking animation can appear as iff attacking a bit, generalized motion. If you have a frame o two of different attack effects like the red splash currently used, its enough to simulate animation.

*The three base classes I described or similar with a four way walk for each.

Things need fixed:
broken quests,
useless 1 gold items

What you can do:
vote, comment, contribute!
Last edited by lord midnight on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AND/OR's ...
Siegurt

Re: v0.7 ThinkTank

Post by Siegurt »

Ok here goes:

Character development:
1. different appearances (depending on equipment and/or class or level?)
2. Advanced level up options, what I had in mind was you start to get additional benefits for leveling up a given thing so for instance, leveling up health could eventually get you damage resistance, to hit could add critical percentage (and add to your multiplier, though infrequently) block could add to your max ap.

In that vein I would actually give them names like toughness, strength, accuracy, and swiftness.

I would also give items weight, and make strength increase your carrying capacity

I would also like something to do with my extra ap, a "block" option that reduced my opponents ap bar by 0-[number of ap spent] would be useful, not out of balance, and make 6 ap cost weapons suck a lot less.

on items:
Weapons should be off hand-able, contributing their full bonus to your damage increasing the ap cost to attack by 1/2 the offhand weapons ap cost, and *not*

Sorry about that, cut off by sily android browser....
Not add their to hit bonus, they should add their bonuses to critical, also off handing should impose a to hit penalty, generally.

Two handed weapons on the other hand should give you a 50% bonus to your damage done from intrinsic damage bonus (strength)

Shields should probably be made more useful to make them a viable option (i would think just add damage resistance to them)

however mostly I would love to see more! More plot, more monsters, more dungeons, more quests, it is a fun game as Is and I would love to have more intricacy to explore. thanks for your efforts so far!
Last edited by sdevaney on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged two posts
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

Interesting suggestions, I think you are dead on with the item weight and carrying capacity.
More options for equiping weapons sheilds, or even two handed weapons or staves and books, maybe a bows or crossbows, all good ideas.

I personally think that both character appearance and leveling bonuses should be based on classes. I see something in between Final Fantasy 3/5, Breath of Fire, and the 'Story' of Mana series. job classes that lead to more branching job classes that change appearance and get diferent bonuses.

I think maybe class skills and other skills, so you dont have to be class based if you dont want.
AND/OR's ...
Aceofspades25

Post by Aceofspades25 »

My personal feeling is that I don't want the game to be made too complex.
This is a phone based game that people play on 3 inch screens.

Some of the suggestions I read about make it sound like Baldurs gate or Neverwinter nights. While those games are awesome, they work well because people play them on giant screens (in comparison) and players are far more immersed in the game.

Personally I feel that all this game really needs is:
A much bigger world. (Loving the map by the way)
More dungeons
More types of monsters
More adventure
More awesome equipment

All of these things I mention are on the way anyway.
I just think we should get these things rolled out before we get bogged down in the details.
ecthelion

Post by ecthelion »

I totally agree with the last post. I don't think the game needs improvements as much as it needs Just more content. The fact that it keeps It simple means that it doesn't bog down my phone or the battery. I think the development is on the right track. Just keep it coming.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

The only problem with putting out much more content is that it gets harder to change the basics of the game. As players get farther into the game they are less likely to go back and check out what has changed.
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

I hear you guys. In terms of power, I look at my cheap Android phone, its an entry level phone.

It has a 600mhz ARM in it, which is enough to run a super nintendo emulator running final fantasy 5 and secret 0f Mana 3. In an emulated hardware layer.

We are talking about direct hardware access. It will be more effecient that playing SNES gmes that do the same thing. And this is on my cheap $150 smartphone, not $250, or $350.

That said, I will be very careful in terms of hardware use what features I push for.

I think some basic animation, especially some basic scrolling of a tile layer, will serve well.

I too want more content, and i have some ideas. I just think a bit more depth to gaeplay is needed as well as breadth. Oskar is a smart guy, he will balance us out in the end :)
AND/OR's ...
Jfaulk

Post by Jfaulk »

Aceofspades25 wrote:My personal feeling is that I don't want the game to be made too complex.
This is a phone based game that people play on 3 inch screens.

Some of the suggestions I read about make it sound like Baldurs gate or Neverwinter nights. While those games are awesome, they work well because people play them on giant screens (in comparison) and players are far more immersed in the game.

Personally I feel that all this game really needs is:
A much bigger world. (Loving the map by the way)
More dungeons
More types of monsters
More adventure
More awesome equipment

All of these things I mention are on the way anyway.
I just think we should get these things rolled out before we get bogged down in the details.
i agree with everything here. this is a fun game the way it is. the only thing i'd like to see is new equipment(which oskar is already making & quests of course)
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

ok, I redid the first post to reflect what people are saying. Bigger world is good!

Other than a bigger more expanded world, what should be focused on?

What kinds of other stuff do you want to do in the world? Larger more labrynthine dungeons? Traps? Levers and Doors?

More text and story to read? More little side quests?
AND/OR's ...
playdroid

Post by playdroid »

Nobody mentioned sound - both effects and background music. Any plans in the works for that? Maybe seems superfluous, but to me a game without sound feels unfinished.