map designing suggestions

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

map designing suggestions

Post by Ian »

I searched a bit in the forum and I collected all your great ideas about new regions, buildings and so on for mapmaking which should help anyone who wants to create a map.
It's pity but sometimes your ideas cannot be easily released because there are too few tilesets for the subject.
You are of course always welcome to add new ideas which fit into the world of AT. ;)

Thanks to everyone who posted his ideas! :)

ae=already existing; ur= unreleased

Regions:
-canyon: ur (few tilesets, I would make a big black hole for this and a rope which leads down into a "cave").
-swamp: ur (great tiles for that)
-shortcut and long way: ur
-maze: ur (very easy to build and many varying creations possible).
-volcano: ur (there are some tiles for standing(←is that the right expression?) and streaming lava)
-desert: ur (you can also use the dirt tiles as sand tiles and there are also some cactuses).
-savanna: ur (a couple of tiles for dried ground and high/dried grass/ cracked ground and cracks itself)
-burned down region: ur (devastated ground can be found, but there are no smoky tree stumps for --that).
-island: ae (Either you use a bridge to get there or a ship :arrow: create one at the mainland and the same at the island and connect them. However, there aren't any tiles which I could use there).
-Lava lake (ae)
-Lake ur

Buildings:
-dwarf settlement/mine: ur (easy to build; big selection of crystals and mining gear; even found 2 tiles for the dwarfs: a miner and an ordinary dwarf). :D
-mill: ur (Unfortunately, there aren't any tiles for this addition. :( Again, a mill is actually recommended in each village).
-rebellions camp: ur (should be hidden very good; you can be very creative).
-castle: ur (there are lots of walls and roofs... however towers are difficult to build because you can only see the front of it :arrow: It doesn't look good if the tower is too high).
-mage house: ur (region should be a bit crazy :arrow: ice, lava, the house itself looks strange...)
-temple: ur (many kinds of columns)
-pyramid: ur (difficult, actually no tiles for inside and only a few for outside).
Traps:
-ambush: ur (If you go into a new map, you are quickly surrounded by enemys and you can't move anywhere).
-fire trap: ur (You fall into a pit and you get hurt by fire←that's difficult for coding though. After that, you remove the fire and can get out with a rope).
-monster trap: ur (You fall into a pit and monsters attack you).After that, you can get out with a rope).
-maze trap: ur (You fall into a pit and you have to make your way out of an underground maze).

Ideas for interactive tiles:
-collapsing tunnel ur
-landslide ur
-gate that opens ae (charwood)

Also see the the topics:
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?t=1701
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=terrains

I hope that this revision is helpful for everyone who wants to create maps. ;)
I also use some of these ideas for Mt. Galmore which I create currently: swamp, castle and rebellions camp and if I have enough time the dwarf settlement.
Last edited by Ian on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: map designing suggestions

Post by nyktos »

this is a great thread, i think i will have some requests pretty soon...

i have a few quests nearing completion & im not sure if everything i need is "in-game" yet.

thanks for the offer Ian!

:twisted:

i have a few maps started, but they are taking forever to finalize

(but i haven't even started writing the quests for them, so im not in a hurry to finish my first map set)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

I have a complicated maze design I've been working on (slowly) for a quesr

Tiled can be a lot of fun.

Great suggestions and ideas!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

Now I'm back from holidays and I can concentrate again on the forum.
I'm very glad that somebody answered at last! New ideas will be added in the future.
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Ian wrote:Now I'm back from holidays and I can concentrate again on the forum.
I'm very glad that somebody answered at last! New ideas will be added in the future.
Can't wait to see what you come up with. Happy hunting! Welcome back! :mrgreen:

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!