v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Remove the "exit" button?

Discussions of the development process of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Remove the "exit" button?

Post by oskarwiksten »

Those of you that read Google+ may have already read my AT/Android-related question:
Why do we need an exit button?

So, what's your opinion? Do we really need to keep the one that we have on the start screen in Andor's Trail?

The usual argument for having one is that it's an intuitive way of telling the program to stop consuming any resources that an app might be using. But we already have that in AT by returning to the title-screen, right? The game already stops running all the background stuff once you return to that screen.
/Oskar
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Remove the "exit" button?

Post by sdevaney »

And just to take the opposite side...

What would removing the exit button get us besides a funny looking menu screen? :)
Antison

Post by Antison »

I prefer to have one for the reasons you mentioned and I also agree with ctnbeh13's comments on Goggle+
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Antison

Post by Antison »

sdevaney wrote:And just to take the opposite side...

What would removing it gain?
in lot of questions like: "is the game still running?"
I play Scrabble a lot on Andoid it is very buggy and it too has an exit button and you can also "back out" of it. But a lot of times it is still runnning so need to FC it.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome

Post by oskarwiksten »

sdevaney wrote:What would removing the exit button get us besides a funny looking menu screen? :)
I think we would be more consistent with the Android design guidelines. Reto Meyer advocates that having an exit-button is an anti-pattern in Android, since the back-button is supposed to support that use-case.
tek wrote:I play Scrabble a lot on Andoid it is very buggy and it too has an exit button and you can also "back out" of it. But a lot of times it is still runnning so need to FC it.
If they don't stop all running threads and resource consumption, I would classify that as a bug in that particular application. In Andor's Trail, currently, the same code runs when you click the "Exit" button as when you press "Back" from the title-screen.
/Oskar
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

So instead of an exit button would you do the pop-up box "are you sure you want to exit?" or nothing at all?
Antison

Post by Antison »

sdevaney wrote:So instead of an exit button would you do the pop-up box "are you sure you want to exit?" or nothing at all?
That is exactly what Scrabble does.
I prefer the "exit" button.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome

Post by oskarwiksten »

sdevaney wrote:So instead of an exit button would you do the pop-up box "are you sure you want to exit?" or nothing at all?
I'm thinking just nothing at all, that we just exit the game by pressing "back" at the title-screen. If the player accidentally presses "back", it's not that big hassle to start the app again.

I love to question concepts like these, that we just seem to take for granted :)
/Oskar
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

oskarwiksten wrote:
I'm thinking just nothing at all, that we just exit the game by pressing "back" at the title-screen. If the player accidentally presses "back", it's not that big hassle to start the app again.

I love to question concepts like these, that we just seem to take for granted :)
That is how I exit everything but I can't speak for everyone. I am okay with it being removed.
Antison

Post by Antison »

It's already there, so let's just leave it. Why remove it now?