v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

map editor

Discussions of the development process of the game.
pokey
android_version: 2.2

map editor

Post by pokey »

The latest version of Tiled on http://www.mapeditor.org/ is 0.9.0, but the version in my distro's repository is 0.8.1. Is 0.8.1 going to be okay, or should I build the newer version? I like to stick to the repos when I can (for system stability), but if there's a real reason to switch, I will do that.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: map editor

Post by sdevaney »

You will be fine using 0.8.1. I don't see any big changes to anything we use and we really just use the basic functions as far as creating our maps. The update looks like it adds quite a few new features though. The upgrades to the automap function seem particularly interesting because there wasn't much to it before.
pokey

Post by pokey »

Okay, cool. Thanks.

Is there a list somewhere of maps or dungeon themes that are needed that no one is already working on?
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

No, no list or anything. We had a rough picture of the world made in paint but I am not sure where it is just yet. If I find the link I will add it to this post.
There are quest dialogues that don't have maps or anything so that could be a place to start. I could send you a copy of the dialogues and if they interest you maybe you can create the maps to go along with them.
Or you are always free to use your own ideas. The main thing is that the maps keep the same feel of the hard and gritty yet somehow colorful Andor's Trail world.
pokey

Post by pokey »

I played with the map editor a bit last night. I think I need to get a little better at it before I can be useful. I've been editing openstreetmap.org for a while now, and I'm grinding my gears a bit shifting to this one. It's not hard to learn the tool, but my brain doesn't work in multi layer 3D just yet. I'll get it, I'm sure.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

It's great that you want to check out Tiled! It can be fun a lot if you know how it works.

The link to the rough sketch of the world:
http://www.iostr.com/andorstrail_worldmap.png

But starting with building maps for a quest is a good introduction.
If you need any help, just contact me.
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Ian wrote:It's great that you want to check out Tiled! It can be fun a lot if you know how it works.

This rough map shows a road connecting from near Prim to the road to Carn Tower. Is this still in the works? Perhaps you have to go through the Elm Mine? I don't recall any leftover branches near there....
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
pokey

Post by pokey »

I have some old maps on graph paper that I will try to translate into Andor if I can.
Antison

Post by Antison »

Tomcat wrote:
Ian wrote:It's great that you want to check out Tiled! It can be fun a lot if you know how it works.

This rough map shows a road connecting from near Prim to the road to Carn Tower. Is this still in the works? Perhaps you have to go through the Elm Mine? I don't recall any leftover branches near there....
The map that Ian is referencing is from before version 0.6.9 before Blackwater was as added.
It looks the addition of Blackwater and the fact the the mountain range spans from Crossglen clear across to the mine has squashed the idea of a road to Carn Tower.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

tek wrote: [color=#0080yw40]The map that Ian is referencing is from before version 0.6.9 before Blackwater was as added.
It looks the addition of Blackwater and the fact the the mountain range spans from Crossglen clear across to the mine has squashed the idea of a road to Carn Tower.[/color]
Thanks, Tek. The road doesn't seem necessary anyway, so just as welll.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6