Next release v0.6.9 and beyond

Discussions of the development process of the game.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Next release v0.6.9 and beyond

Post by sdevaney »

I think it is time to start planning what this release will be. What bugs to fix, which new content to add, etc.

If we can put together a clear bullet list of things that we want to include it will help development go easier because everyone will be on the same page and know what needs done for this release.

Basically I would like to start a general guideline for what we would like to see fixed and done in the next release.

Of course nothing would be set in stone but I feel it would be a great benefit to have guidelines for each release that the development community sets up and says OK, these are the 3-4 things that we feel need addressed in this next release.
CaptainDoug

Re: Next release v0.6.9 and beyond

Post by CaptainDoug »

How can we plan things to change things for 6.9 without 6.8? We need some kind of platform to critique.
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

CaptainDoug wrote:How can we plan things to change things for 6.9 without 6.8? We need some kind of platform to critique.
We have 76 issues on the tracker right now. 10 are set to be fixed with v0.6.8

Granted a lot of the issues are not bugs but feature requests, we should take those into account and pick a couple of bugs to fix and a couple of enhancements to go into this release. Once that is decided we can focus on how much of a content release the next version will be.

The more of this planning and managerial things we can get out of the way now the easier things will be to concentrate on development and content creation.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

I think this is a great idea to plan the things we will add in the next version ahead.

My wishlist of items that I would like to see added are:
[*] More content. Either we do the road down to Mount Galmore, or we start connecting the main road with northern Crossglen.
[*] Temporary effects such as regeneration, poison or bless.
[*] Difficulty setting.
[*] Improve gameplay on tablets.

What are the things you guys would like to see of the things we have discussed so far? There was quite a long wishlist for v0.6.8, and I would be very glad to add some of those good ideas for the next version.
/Oskar
CaptainDoug

Post by CaptainDoug »

I guess what I was trying to say before is that it would be nice to know which items were included in 6.8 so we can leave those out or expand upon them.
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

CaptainDoug wrote:I guess what I was trying to say before is that it would be nice to know which items were included in 6.8 so we can leave those out or expand upon them.
If you look here http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/issues/list

Anything that has .0.6.8 as the milestone is an issue we are trying to fix, or an enhancement we are trying to include in the v0.6.8 release.

As far as what I would like to see in the v0.6.9 release:

1. New editor
2. New editor
3. New editor
4. Fixing the playing on large devices bug
5. Some content addition

Now the reason I picked these five choices is really simple 1-3 a new editor, is all about being able to work on the game in one unified program and not having to go back and forth to three or four programs to work on one map. It adds a lot of unnecessary development time when trying to create new or edit old content. Not to mention some of the things that Oskar want's in this update change not only the editor but game play too lol.

Number 4 shouldn't be that difficult of a fix. Center indoor maps and scale the font for everything so it shows up larger.

Number 5 is some small-medium content addition. About half the size of the v0.6.8 release.
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

0.6.9 should be a bugfix release, 0.7.0 should be a new feature release, thats the line of reasoning Ive been following. Oscar is adding the much requested extra content now in 0.6.8, 0.6.9 should fix broken stuff, and we should add new features, mechanics and systems after that, which is why I made a ThinkTank thread not dissimilar to this one, to discuss what features shouyld be adding at that release.

plenty of extra content is comming, the world is getting bigger, there needs to be more actions and systems to do within that world.
AND/OR's ...
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

lord midnight wrote:0.6.9 should be a bugfix release, 0.7.0 should be a new feature release, thats the line of reasoning Ive been following. Oscar is adding the much requested extra content now in 0.6.8, 0.6.9 should fix broken stuff, and we should add new features, mechanics and systems after that, which is why I made a ThinkTank thread not dissimilar to this one, to discuss what features shouyld be adding at that release.

plenty of extra content is comming, the world is getting bigger, there needs to be more actions and systems to do within that world.
Ha Oskar and I were just discussing the version number situation the other day.

I think we need to figure out a new release numbering system since 0.6.8 almost doubles the game world and includes a number of bugfixes and changes.

But as I explained to Oskar the other day when we were discussing the numbering system, it really doesn't matter what version the release is called, what is important is that the changes, bugfixes, and features the community want to see are in the release, whatever it is ended up being numbered.

I am just looking for a list of what people want to see done in the next release.
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

the 'next', the one oscar is doing now '068', I think should just be as it is going along now.

the one after that, should be bugfixes and be fairly swift in terms of time, not really a big release.

The third peding release, what woud logically be 070, should be a feature release, new features, new mechanics, new systems.

basically, I think it should go:

world
bugs
features
bugs
world
bugs
features
bugs
world
bugs
etc etc etc.
AND/OR's ...
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

Look at the topic title again mate, I stated v0.6.9 in it. The reason is because v0.6.8 is close done and all the bugfixes, content, and enhancements are almost ready to be tested.

With this release no one had any idea who was working on what or what needed to be done or what exactly was going to be included in the 0.6.8 release.

The reason for this thread is to prevent that from happening with the next release v0.6.9. We are trying to get a list of things that people want most in the next release.

The numbering system should have no effect on what to release. The system you are talking about works great for software but not so much for a game where content is what keeps people playing. With every release we should try and include more content, bugfixes, and enhancements, just like in the v0.6.8 release.