v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Russian translate and *.po files

Discussions of the development process of the game.
bars_12
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Russian translate and *.po files

Post by bars_12 »

Hi Guys!
Explain me plase - are you using for locaisation the files or not? I have a file for al versions with all tanslated words but I have not found class Resoursebundle.

And I hve only file strings.xml on russian. It is works. But anther things - for example names of monsters on English. If we do not using this technology (with files *.po), than why it is in store. If using, then where and why it is do not work on my russion version of android?

I am new in android developing but the expirience with java not small.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome

Re: Russian translate and *.po files

Post by oskarwiksten »

Hi bars_12,

great to hear from a Russian player! Looking at the stats that Google Play gives us, we have a lot of people playing from Russia, so the Russian translation is an important part for a large portion of our players.

The localization in v0.7.0 works by using both the strings.xml file and the *.po files. Or actually, the game really reads *.mo files, and not *.po files. The .mo files contain the same things as .po files, but in a binary format. You can convert back and forth between mo and po with the usual gnu textutils. There's even a bash script that we supply, that you can use to automatically create your mo files:
https://github.com/oskarwiksten/andors- ... reateMo.sh

We do not use ResourseBundle. We have a custom binary .mo parser.

The file strings.xml has a specific entry named "localize_resources_from_mo_filename", that tells the game which .mo translation file to use:
https://github.com/oskarwiksten/andors- ... s.xml#L510

I tried setting my emulator to localization "русский", and the rats outside the starting house are then all shown as "Маленькая крыса", so it should work. Are you using the version from Google Play or one you built yourself? If you built it yourself, you might be missing the .mo files (we only commit the .po files to Git).

It might also be as simple as the fact that some monsters haven't been translated yet. We would love to have your help on that. Please see the following site for a collaborative translation method:
https://translations.launchpad.net/andors-trail/trunk

Anyway, great to hear from you! Let us know how it works for you.

/Oskar
/Oskar
bars_12

Re: Russian translate and *.po files

Post by bars_12 »

Hi Oskar. As developer I am using own built. In my own built I have no *.mo files. Thanks for info. Your translate fast right but not in 100 %. A new version I can put to svn or git. My login on forum is it enough?
But "Маленькая крыса" - correct.

Thanks for help once more.