got bored with grinding, made a map instead

Discussions of the development process of the game.
red hatter
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

got bored with grinding, made a map instead

Post by red hatter »

Twice I decided to never play Andor's Trail again. I really like the game, but the grinding gets to me to the point I feel like cheating. So I downloaded Tiled and made some maps instead.

Is a map like this any good? Are there any specific maps needed? Are there maps I can make and at which locations?
Last edited by red hatter on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: got bored with grinding, made a map instead

Post by Tomcat »

red hatter wrote:Twice I decided to never play Andor's Trail again. I really like the game, but the grinding gets to me to the point I feel like cheating. So I downloaded Tiled and made some maps instead.

Is a map like this any good? Are there any specific maps needed? Are there maps I can make and at which locations?

I also hate the grinding, and got into the maps to pass the time. Hopefully next release will have some of mine. This is a nice bit of farmland that could be included, say, at the edge of a future town. It looks very similar to the fields around Loneford. Nice work!
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Post by PK17 »

I have been working on quite a few maps as well, it took a bit of help from Ian but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

PK17 wrote:I have been working on quite a few maps as well, it took a bit of help from Ian but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing them. Are they for a specific area?
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
PK17

Post by PK17 »

Well Tomcat, at the moment I am toying with some forest-style maps as I am still trying to get the hang of everything. I haven't been able to get near my desktop for a week or so now. Going to OBX for a week next week, and things have been hectic trying to get prepared. When I finally get what I want done, I am going to send the maps to Ian, then see if he has anything specific I could do.

For any aspiring map-maker, a word of advice...... pay very close attention to the 'layers', it is really easy to put something in the wrong layer and not realize until it is a little too late. :lol:

red hatter

Post by red hatter »

Tomcat wrote:I also hate the grinding, and got into the maps to pass the time. Hopefully next release will have some of mine. This is a nice bit of farmland that could be included, say, at the edge of a future town. It looks very similar to the fields around Loneford. Nice work!
Thanks. I made it to fit in between the maps loneford1 and lodar0. I saw an empty space on the world map. I don't know if the space is already used, reserved or it's unwanted for it to be filled. It seemed a good practice map to start, small, uncomplicated, bordering on two pieces of farmland. Map building is a game in itself, I think. I hope to see your maps in the next release. Have you posted some previews?
PK17 wrote:I have been working on quite a few maps as well, it took a bit of help from Ian but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
It's nice to hear there are more people into map building.

I've made a few maps of caves / underground mazes. I will try to make one I'm satisfied with and post a screencap. I also like woodland areas, but there are few tiles for broadleaf trees.
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

red hatter wrote:
Tomcat wrote:I also hate the grinding, and got into the maps to pass the time. Hopefully next release will have some of mine. This is a nice bit of farmland that could be included, say, at the edge of a future town. It looks very similar to the fields around Loneford. Nice work!
Thanks. I made it to fit in between the maps loneford1 and lodar0. I saw an empty space on the world map. I don't know if the space is already used, reserved or it's unwanted for it to be filled. It seemed a good practice map to start, small, uncomplicated, bordering on two pieces of farmland. Map building is a game in itself, I think. I hope to see your maps in the next release. Have you posted some preview?
I'm with you on filling in gaps, and I've had my eye on that spot as a crying need. I'll see what I can do about getting it added.

Never have posted previews of Stoutford .. I kinda prefer keeping whole new areas a surprise :)
Norbert
red hatter

Post by red hatter »

I understand about not posting previews. Exploring new regions is a fun part of the game, much better when it is all a surprise. Some areas are probably needed for specific quests, like the area west of Vacor and it might be good to reserve some inner areas for quests not yet imagined.

Directly south of Loneford there can only be farmland. Directly southeast of Loneford I would expect a watchtower or some other vantage point and more farmland. regarding the narrow, seemingly undefined area towards the east, I would imagine a path and a wooden fence, so guards can patrol the border to the green maze. You don't want the creatures or people of the green maze on your farmland or invading your town. There are however no entrances to the farmland south of Loneford. I would think farmers will complain about this and the guards of the Crossroads Guardhouse and the guardhouse inside Loneford will probably find this inconvenient as well. Although a real soldier will just climb a fence and not complain.

Stoutford, go west, second trail to your left after the Flagstone Prison. Vacor wouldn't happen to be from Stoutford?
I put it in spoiler tags just in case. In the above map, I made a hidden entrance downwards in the well towards an unknown, underground space. I don't know if it works or looks good though. The pickaxe is supposed to be a hint.
PK17

Post by PK17 »

Down a well eh? I suppose there should be a little girl stuck down there :lol: .... very interesting.

Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Nice work on that map! Looks fantastic!

We can always use more people making maps, they seem to be one of the more time consuming aspects of the creation on Andor's Trail... that and Quest writing.

Keep it up guys! I would love to see more maps that you create!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------