v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Building AT on Android

Discussions of the development process of the game.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Building AT on Android

Post by rijackson741 »

I misunderstood. I thought when you said "nothing" you meant the game wouldn't launch.

Did you modify loadresources.xml to include your new json and map files? You need to do that. Note that the json needs to be created by exporting the project from ATCS.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

You need to add your resources to the loadresources.xml file under res/values/
You also need to alter at least one existing map to add a mapchange area leading to your own maps (if you created maps).
Finally, you may need to ask AIDE to "refresh" the res folder, or to "clean" the project in order to ensure that the R.java file is regenerated by aapt. If R.java doesn't contain references to your own content, while your files are definitely there according to AIDE, you can simply delete R.java before running the game.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Shadow Slayer
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat
Location: Vacor's Hideout (Temporarily Retired)(Real Life Location, I WILL NOT TELL YOU:))

Post by Shadow Slayer »

when I added my content I couldn't save it because it asked me to buy the full version, I do not know how to clean or refresh project?
They called it the Shadow, and started creating a small cult around it, Only the smallest core of the cult actually knows that this power comes from the Kazaul-era dark arts...
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

You can't use the free version of AIDE to do anything useful. Period.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
Shadow Slayer
Location: Vacor's Hideout (Temporarily Retired)(Real Life Location, I WILL NOT TELL YOU:))

Post by Shadow Slayer »

Oh no, Looks like i'll have to buy it, but £14 just to save a file, WoW, But I guess AT is worth it (NOBODY WILL STOP ME, I WILL SOON BE CREATING PROPER CONTENT!!!!!! :D :lol: :D !!!!)
They called it the Shadow, and started creating a small cult around it, Only the smallest core of the cult actually knows that this power comes from the Kazaul-era dark arts...
Shadow Slayer

Post by Shadow Slayer »

Unfortunately I don't think this will happen soon... (My Phone Broke) :?
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

:cry: on the upside, you saved 14 quids. :roll:
Shadow Slayer

Post by Shadow Slayer »

Zukero wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am :cry: on the upside, you saved 14 quids. :roll:
lol :lol:
Maybe I will try to create AT on my laptop if that's possible,
and then add my content, I heard somewhere on the forums
that you can get Android Studio on laptop and its free?
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

Yes. The best place to work on AT is a desktop/laptop computer.

I recently tried Android Studio 3.0, and it's forcing a bunch of changes to the layout of the source code, which I don't want to deal with until after we release the next version.
I suggest you to stick to Android Studio 2.X if you can find it, or Eclipse with the ADT plugin, which has been abandoned by Google a while ago, but still works fine if you're willing to jump through a few hoops to set it up.

For testing, I recommend installing VirtualBox (or another Virtual Machine system), and creating at least one Android VM using ISOs from androidx86.org.
There are some more hoops to jump through to attach such a VM to the android debugger (set up networking correctly, connect manually using the command line...), but it's neither hard, nor long, and there are plenty of tutorials out there.
You'll need this even more as you no longer have a phone handy.

As a bonus, you'll be able to have ATCS and Android Studio (or Eclipse) running side by side (if you have at least 8GB RAM. Possible with 4GB, but painful).

Finally, it will also let you use Git, but as it seems you're new to development tools, you should get familiar with the rest before looking at Git. Git is powerful, convenient, reliable, and a bit hard to understand and use when you're not familiar with it.
Shadow Slayer

Post by Shadow Slayer »

So I need to use virtual box to test Andor's Trail, and I need Android studio for what then, Is it that after I compile Andors Trail it will only work on virtual box or could I just download the apk on my laptop without virtual box after compiling it in android studio?