Where can Andor's brother walk relative to water?

Discussions of the development process of the game.
red hatter
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Where can Andor's brother walk relative to water?

Post by red hatter »

Where can Andor's brother walk relative to water? I figure he can walk wherever his feet are on dry land.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: Where can Andor's brother walk relative to water?

Post by nyktos »

there are a couple of existing maps where we end up standing on rocks amidst water,
so i think you're on the right track...

i like the idea of our hero "testing the waters"
trying to cross a river or stream at certain points, exploring - to find the proper path.

:D

"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
red hatter
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by red hatter »

nyktos wrote:there are a couple of existing maps where we end up standing on rocks amidst water,
so i think you're on the right track...
It is indeed different for the mountain lake / mountain cave / waterway and the way to Brimhaven cave. Of course the bank could be a lot steeper on certain places and prevent our hero from standing to close to the edge of the water. I'm thinking of a simple recolouring of the water tile in a deeper shade of blue for deeper water and maybe a green/blue recolouring for a pond and more brownish for a puddle. The dinosaur-head-tadpole pattern of the water tile bothers me, I'm trying to fix that and keep an AT-style tile.
nyktos wrote:i like the idea of our hero "testing the waters"
trying to cross a river or stream at certain points, exploring - to find the proper path.
I really like that. It brings a puzzle element in the game which fits naturally in the AT world. Maybe a little hint could be given like a faint trail or a pawprint at the other side of the ford. And at every place along the water you which to test, there could be a monster. Defeating the monster has a distinct purpose and on the way back our hero can go more or less around these monsters, less grinding.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

If you look at the caves that are to the east of Loneford there are many spots where you step on stones to cross the waters as well as spots where you go under the overhanging cliffs to continue along your pathway.

be as creative as you can! If it looks good and is a good fit there is a good chance it will be implemented.

From the work that i have seen so far, i have no worries saying that your work could make it into Andor's Tail soon.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

red hatter wrote:
nyktos wrote:i like the idea of our hero "testing the waters"
I really like that. It brings a puzzle element in the game which fits naturally in the AT world. Maybe a little hint could be given like a faint trail or a pawprint at the other side of the ford. And at every place along the water you which to test, there could be a monster. Defeating the monster has a distinct purpose and on the way back our hero can go more or less around these monsters, less grinding.
Remember rule #10 of the mapmaking guidelines though :
10. Outdoor maps should somehow indicate to the player where there are tiles that will lead to other maps. For example, a road that leads into the map edge.
If you create a "hidden" path by letting some water be walkable, give at least a hint if it leads to other maps.
I'd say that, except for an explicit labyrinth, you should avoid making walkable some tiles that are usually un-walkable.

As for your example, I marked red the ones I think should be unwalkable, and orange the ones for which I could understand them being walkable, but wouldn't do it myself.
andorsbrotherwatermove.jpg
For the eastern cave entrance, remember rule #6, but also it's conditional tone :
Each house floor, entrance and mountain wall is generally two tiles high.
Edit : oops, I then should have marked it orange, not red :? my bad :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2