v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Build Instructions?

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Beirlis
android_version: 4.2

Build Instructions?

Post by Beirlis »

Hello guys. So if you want an "open" open source project where other talented people randomly drive by and submit patches, improvements, bug fixes, etc., ya gotta have some build instructions! :? Now admittedly, I haven't touched Java in quite a while, but I was looking for an ant build.xml. So can you please list:
  1. What is the build tool?
  2. What is the unladen air speed of an English swallow?
  3. What are the build deps (including links and simple instructions on setting up your CLASSPATH variable, where ever you do that with the build tool, to properly pull them in)
  4. Where to expect the deployable output file (if it's not obvious).
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Build Instructions?

Post by Pyrizzle »

Beirlis wrote:Hello guys. So if you want an "open" open source project where other talented people randomly drive by and submit patches, improvements, bug fixes, etc., ya gotta have some build instructions! :? Now admittedly, I haven't touched Java in quite a while, but I was looking for an ant build.xml. So can you please list:
  1. What is the build tool?
  2. What is the unladen air speed of an English swallow?
  3. What are the build deps (including links and simple instructions on setting up your CLASSPATH variable, where ever you do that with the build tool, to properly pull them in)
  4. Where to expect the deployable output file (if it's not obvious).
1) We use a program called Tiled to create maps
2) Somewhere around 29-40 kmh (17-24 mph)... those lazy jerks in the movie never said. =)
3) ....
4) ....

Ok, maybe i am not the best person to try to tackle the technical aspects... But at should at least get a point for answering #2. :D

I believe there is a player who is currently working on a new guide for how to contribute to Andor's Trail. As soon as i can locate it I will be sure to come back here and post a link for you.

Ps: Happy hunting adventurer!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beirlis

Post by Beirlis »

Thanks for the response. I just had a hankering to make a few hacks is all. =)
Pyrizzle wrote:1) We use a program called Tiled to create maps
Awesome! Good ole tiled. I'm glad that project took off. I was considering it some time back when I was working on Glest.

Anyway, I'm talking about building the actual app. I re-installed eclipse and put Google's dev tools on it and the more I learn about Android, the more my stomach turns. (sorry for the rant). It seems like they have this massive "not invented here" attitude with everything and they bypass any and all standards. Granted, the reason for the non-compliant JVM, converting the stack-based VM to register-based I agree with and hope that it eventually shows performance improvements over the old JVM, but that's another issue.

Still, my brain is cogitating what this game would look like in 3d. It would burn more battery of course.
Last edited by Pyrizzle on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swearing on the forums is forbidden.
Covenant
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Covenant »

I think it's been over 10 years since I did any java Dev. Was at JDK v1.3 when I started and only 2.x when I stopped. I used to use Oracle Jdeveloper (but I think that's long been discontinued). Otherwise I think most multi purpose Linux distros come with. Javac compiler - I'd wager that class path is just a command line parameter, or probably settable in a conf file.

Everything I manage these days is
.Net managed code for Web apps and large scale hosting platforms.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Indeed Jdeveloper has been dropped. They used Weblogic Studio after they bought BEA Systems (based on Eclipse), then moved everything to netbeans once they bought Sun... Oh, and 2.x never existed. They called 1.5 Java 5... they're now somewhere between Java 7 & 8. Java 1.4.2 has been the stable one for a long time though, and one of the most popular (when every IT manager with little knowledge wanted everything to be J2EE).

For the build instructions, it is indeed not the usual Java way. It more looks like the MS way to me : it's done for you behind the scene.
Actually, for Andriod, the Java source is compiled to bytecode, which is in turned compiled to DEX files, then packaged in an APK file, but you don't have to know that. The IDE knows for you.

Android Studio is the new tool, but I tried it and haven't found it mature enough. It is based on IntelliJ Idea.
I prefer to use the Eclipse ADT bundle (still available from google's android sdk help pages), partly because it is buggy but mature, partly because I just love Eclipse.

You'll have to use the SDK Manager (found in both bundles, or as a stand-alone package from google) to download the different android versions' SDK, and eventually emulator images (slooooooooooooooow). This will download and install all the hidden jars/compilers/stuff... it will also include the vital "adb" tool. The usage of adb is mostly hidden by the IDE functions, but it's nice to have, especially if you want to use a real device to test/debug.

Then, use GIT to check out your copy of the code (I you want to contribute, I suggest forking oskarwiksten's andros-trail github repository in your own beforehand).

Then, make Eclipse ADT use this a an Android project.

After that, hitting the "Run" button will handle all the dirty things for you ! Still, the resulting apk will be somewhere in your project's folder in case you need it.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Beirlis

Post by Beirlis »

OMG! That's horrific! :o

Thank you very much for the gory details, that's very helpful. I've actually done most of this already, although I didn't install either an emulator or adb. This is why I'm gradually disliking google more and more and I fear it will soon just become hate.

Anyway, I guess I'll fork the github repo soon. lol! I need to fix a bug in a kernel driver that I have hosted on my github, so I don't want to fork it before I fix that because I have a user who's really hurting for the fix, but they can wait a few days. :)

EDIT: w00t! I not only got it working but also running on my phone! Thanks again!
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Greetings Beirlis,

The informational guide topic/thread titled "Contributing to Andor's Trail", that the development team will be posting under the "Developers" section, that Pyrizzle referred to, will doubtfully take on the details of addressing the information you asked about. That somewhat falls under the heading of continuing education. :)

As Andor's Trail is truly an open source project (there has been some variance in how an individual might perceive this), there are essentially two ways that you approach this; either work with the development team to enhance the version that is being built here, or work either independently or with another team who might give a try to taking this game in an entirely different direction. Obviously, we're either busy working on the game ourselves, or working with others who are interested in doing the same, primarily based on the time we each have available ourselves. That being said, if I were in a position to accurately and fully answer your questions, I would.

If your interest that you base your questions on is for the purpose of aiding in the development of this project, please consider sharing your ideas and proposal under the "Ideas and future development" section. If you are wanting to definitely create and/or code for Andor's Trail, requesting membership to join the Developers group, which allows you to post under the "Development Corner", may be the best approach. Please feel free to send me a P.M. regarding that, and I'll share the information with you on how to do this (if you aren't already aware). As time is one of the more valuable commodities that I believe a person may have (hence the possible reason for your questions, to save some yourself), anyone interested in contributing to the game is probably better off with starting with a proposal, simply for the individual's benefit of not spending a considerable portion of their time on content that may not meet with the current and/or future direction of the project.

On the flip-side, if you have content that you want to produce that you wish to remain private, so as not to reveal any spoilers, then sending a P.M. to someone at the link below, might be the best approach. http://www.andorstrail.com/memberlist.php?mode=leaders

I hope this was of some help. While it doesn't specifically address the original questions, coders from the development team, or some from the forum community that share in this passion, still may. ;)
One of even fewer...