v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Arulir Mountain

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Moerit
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Arulir Mountain

Post by Moerit »

need to be done:Edit:18.06
  • Do something about the bridge in arulircave_6 will be combined with 2.
  • (add lava trap)
Done, updated conversationlist, itemlist and arulircave6 on gdrive
The Bridge to the east in arulircave6 is removed. instead I placed there a trap which will make it slightly harder to kill the boss;
When you enter the 'island' some magma will blubber on your clothes (You get 1 "Fierce Lava Rock" and the ActorC. "Ablaze"(1 Round)). Every round the "Fierce Lava Rock" will become a "Cold Lava Rock". When you dont have a "Fierce Lava Rock" in your inventory again magma blubbers on you (You get 1 "Fierce Lava Rock" and the ActorC. "Ablaze"(2 Rounds)).
When leaving the 'island' all "Fierce Lava Rock" will become a "Cold lava Rock".
  • update monsterlist to gdrive (more feedback is welcome, link here)
Updated stats -> uploaded jsons and new graphics to gdrive
  • update maps with corrected tilesets (ladder problem) jackson is working on creating tilesets
  • Tilesets cavewall3 and cavewall4 successfully modified - Big Thanks to rjackson!
  • corrected the ladder problem in arulircave4, ..5 and ..6
  • files updated/avaible on gdrive
Still have to find out what had happened to that key area. I guess it has something to do with the mountainlake5.tmx-maps, beause im not able to open it after downloading it from gdrive. Looking at it in the Editor it shows me some strange things:
Instead of:
<tileset firstgid="1" name="map_bed_1" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<image source="../drawable/map_bed_1.png" width="512" height="256"/>
</tileset>

There is:
<tileset firstgid="1" name="map_bed_1" tilewidth="32" tileheight="32">
<image source="../andors-trail/AndorsTrail/res/drawable/map_bed_1.png" width="512" height="256"/>
</tileset>
at every line of image sources., after deleting the marked letters i was able to open mountainlake5.tmx in Tiled. But maybe the error of the keyarea is somewhere deeper.
I'll create everything brand new and hope that it will work then.
Lvl: 16, XP: 47538, Gold: 474, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 151, AC: 248%, AD: 29-40, AP: 4, ECC: 22%, CM: -, BC: 160%, DR: 5
Raner
android_version: 4.0

Post by Raner »

That exact error with the file path happens to me whenever I copy paste a map, i.e. for a backup. I have never had it mess with a key area however, nor can I explain why the key area does not work when tested.

Not helpful, sorry :(
Raner:
Lvl: 1__Exp: 1.7mm__Gold: 70k
HP: 44__AP: 5/10__AC: 127__AD: 10-21__BC: 49__DR: 3__ECC: n/a
Shadow Regeneration

RoLS: 2__RoL: 2__ElyR: 1__GoLF: 1

... no skills ...
Moerit
VIP

Post by Moerit »

Raner wrote:Not helpful, sorry :(
No it was helpful. Now i know why this strange thing occurs. Looks like i have to get deeper into eclipse so i wont commit errors :)

Actually there are two Problems unsolved
  1. still the keyarea -.-
  2. Debugging the maps with eclipse has problems loading the edited spritesheeds. Dont know whats wrong..It occured after i started working on the arulirmountain-branch from Zukeros repository. Previoulsy i worked on a local save from Oskar's google-rep. and it worked there. Maybe my setup is not correct, still have to learn more about that program :roll:
Lvl: 16, XP: 47538, Gold: 474, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
hailstone
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by hailstone »

Cryptic Arulir says:" There are patches in the sky. "
Moerit
VIP

Post by Moerit »

hailstone wrote:Cryptic Arulir says:" There are patches in the sky. "
That sounds really acroamatic :o

Is it possible to code an item which has an effect ("Actorcondition") while having it in inventory?
I ask because there is one issue about the "Fierce Lava Rock". I did not want to have the hero that stone in inventory without effect. If the hero leaves the island a script triggers that alls "Fierce Lava Rock"'s will turn into "Cold lava Rock"'s. But when the hero dies while fighting the boss, he wakes up in the bed with a "Fierce Lava Rock".
Though I need either a possibility to remove that rock from the inventory or an item(category) which has an effect while having it in inventory - that would force the player to drop the fierce rock and dont take it up again.

The issue with the cavewalls is somehow solved, dont know what happend but now everything works fine with the spritesheeds.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Hello Moerit,

With the current code, I see no way of having something that even remotely works like what you want. I don't see either a simple way to add such a feature in the code without a huge effort.
The scripting engine I'm (trying to be) working on could allow this kind of features though.

Not possible either, but maybe easier to add: how about the rocks don't have a negative effect, but turn cold after a timer expires? That timer gets reset every time you pick up a new rock (keeping the ones you already have warm, but not reheating the already cold ones). Later, we can imagine a quest or puzzle that require you to bring a warm rock somewhere (remember the grog run in monkey island 1 ?).
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Moerit wrote:
The Bridge to the east in arulircave6 is removed. instead I placed there a trap which will make it slightly harder to kill the boss;
When you enter the 'island' some magma will blubber on your clothes (You get 1 "Fierce Lava Rock" and the ActorC. "Ablaze"(1 Round)). Every round the "Fierce Lava Rock" will become a "Cold Lava Rock". When you dont have a "Fierce Lava Rock" in your inventory again magma blubbers on you (You get 1 "Fierce Lava Rock" and the ActorC. "Ablaze"(2 Rounds)).
When leaving the 'island' all "Fierce Lava Rock" will become a "Cold lava Rock".
I've been meaning to comment on this. Mainly a little English correction.
"Fierce Lava Rock" does not sound right in English. Since it's lava, "rock" is not really needed. I think "Searing Lava" would be what you want. "Cooled Lava Rock" would be better than "Cold Lava Rock". Another option for the cold lava would be Obsidian, which is volcanic glass. I suggest that because maybe there could maybe be a mini-quest where you can get a weapon-smith to make an Obsidian Dagger. It would be ridiculously sharp, so high AD, a decent CS, and Bleeding Wounds at some appropriate level
Of course, based on Zukero's post it sounds like this idea is not possible right now, but I figured I'd throw out my thoughts anyway :)
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Moerit
VIP

Post by Moerit »

@Zukero: I tried to create something which may could work:
  • Created a 'Script'-objects over the whole map cavewall6.
    • This script triggers 'always' and checkes the following conditions:
      1. 'searing_lava' 'inventory and remove' = true
      2. 'timer elapsed' = 5
    • -> obtain 1 'cold_lava_rock'
  • timer is set everytime the hero gets a 'searing_lava'
But i guess there will be some problems. What if the hero leaves the map with the 'searing lava'? I guess that then the 'script'-object does not run anymore.
As solution i could place similiar 'script'-objects over the other maps. The timer is working anyway!?

@rijackson741: Awesome that you corrected my english again :) "Searing Lava" sounds indeed ways better!
The Obsidian is a quite nice idea. Maybe i change the reward from 'item' to 'droplist' with a 1(?)% chance of getting Obsidian instead of a cold lava rock.
About that quest - yea, nice idea. Feel free to write it :). Maybe the Obsidian ist just one part of many and need to be combined into that ridiculous sharp dagger.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

@Moerit : you sure gave it some thinking, but I would advise against bending unfit tools, as there will always be unwanted consequences. I'd rather lay down a design for the proper way to add this in the game on the forums in order to discuss a refined idea with the dev team so we can decide whether to code it or not.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
hailstone
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by hailstone »

Moerit wrote:
hailstone wrote:Cryptic Arulir says:" There are patches in the sky. "
That sounds really acroamatic :o
It is from 'Lexx' season 2. It reminded me of 'Cryptic Arulir'.

Some random thoughts on lava rocks:

Wikipedia calls lava which has cooled: hardened lava

another option would be: solidified lava
in Dutch it would be: 'gestolde lava'

Lava can cool and become: obsidian, basalt, ...

another name for obsidian: black lava glass

- Rough Basalt Rock --> a simple 'club' weapon
- Olivine Basalt Rock --> can be used to make a heat resistant shield in Remgard
- Picrite Basalt Rock --> can be used to make a superior heat resistant shield in Remgard

- Obsidian Rock --> material for an insanely sharp Obsidian Dagger (also needed a deer horn for stone knapping to produce a dagger from the obsidian rock)
- Large Obsidian Rock --> material for an insanely sharp Obsidian Spearhead or two daggers
- Obsidian Shard --> natural Obsidian dagger, does even more bleeding damage than the handmade one with its jagged edge, but also causes the user to bleed themselves

- Black Obsidian --> common variety
- Fire Obsidian --> superior variety
- Snowflake Obsidian --> Legendary variety

- Felsic Lava Rock --> can be used to make a fine glass cup

- Adamantine Crystal --> valuable, ...

Now get yourself a Large Snowflake Obsidian Rock to dual wield Snowflake Obsidian Daggers with Adamantine Crystal inlay or a single one in combination with your Picrite Basalt Shield with a Snowflake Obsidian Shard boss. Enjoy the grinding!
Last edited by hailstone on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.