v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Venice/Amsterdam inspired city

Discussions of the development process of the game.
noamik
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Venice/Amsterdam inspired city

Post by noamik »

Hi everybody,

I wanted to hear your opinion on a map I've started working on. When it's final I want to provide an entire city on water, a mix of Venice and Amsterdam. However doing an entire city with quests and everything is a lot of work that I don't want to invest into the blue. So I started with a 30x30 and created a first house, the inn of the city, and it's surroundings:
test-city.png
Please tell me what you think of what you see there.

- Does this fit into the world planned?
- Did I miss any important guide lines when mapping for andor's trail?
- Where in the world of andor's trail would you see such a city? Would it fit as a setting for any of the cities already planned?

About me:
I'm pretty new to Andor's trail, have been playing for some months now. My first character is a level 50, so I've seen lots of the content already and I liked it. Now I wanted to start contributing, so I set up the repository and an eclipse as described in the tutorial and started with mapping. I plan on doing some coding if there is things I need to allow cool content that can't be done in the current code base though. I also have a VM up and running (almost native speed, since I chose to emulate an x86 atom).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duke
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Venice/Amsterdam inspired city

Post by Duke »

I don't have the authority to give you the go ahead, but I do like what you did here and am grateful to have someone willing to add content. I wonder if this could extend someone near Remgard? Good work Noamik, and welcome to the forum!
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1
noamik

Post by noamik »

I thought about the Remgard area as well, but then there is already lots of place taken on the reserved map. Its placement is pretty flexible though, since I want the city to be reachable only by taking a boat/float.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I like it. The general theme of the AT world is that it's kind of dark, but I don't see why there couldn't be a city with at least some areas that are not. It would add variety, and the contrast would maybe make the other areas appear darker.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
noamik

Post by noamik »

Thanks for your heads up. My concept is a city that has suffered less than the other areas due to it being located on artificial isles. I want it to be accessible early in the game, but the player should want to revisit till the very late game. It shall serve as a hub for quest lines. Accessing the city will force advanced players to pay a small amount of money to the captain, while the lower levels will be transported for free: "Hey kid, hop on board"-style.

Btw.: did I miss the part in the tutorials where it says: add your map to

Code: Select all

/res/values/loadresources.xml
? When trying to test my map I was wondering for quite some time why my teleport from crossglen into the city didn't work until I saw in logcat that the resource of the map wasn't found.
inn.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piggy the Slayer

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

Welcome. Good ideas. Could Feygard be a city on a lake?
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
hailstone

Post by hailstone »

I like the idea of a city on water. I made a map myself to get more experience with Tiled. Maybe it has something you could use.
noamik

Post by noamik »

Sure, feel free to provide the tmx and resources you used ...