v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Low level Quest

Discussions of the development process of the game.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Low level Quest

Post by rijackson741 »

I do not believe that either Zukero or ctnbeh13 are saying "stop" (and although my opinion accounts for very little in this respect, I am certainly not saying that), except perhaps to the extent that you should leave Mikhail out of it. The premise of the game is that Mikhail sent the kid out to look for Andor, assuming that finding him would not be too difficult, because he would be somewhere reasonably close by. As a father, he would not send him into danger, or have him wander all over the world looking. It is the kid that makes the decisions to go to ever greater lengths to find his brother. If his father knew what he was doing I think he would be very unlikely to encourage it. So I think Zukero's suggestion of moving the quest form Mikhail to some currently useless NPC is a very good one, because it removes the whole problem of what Mikhail would or would not encourage his son to do.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Mourngrim
android_version: 4.0

Post by Mourngrim »

Thanks for that, it makes sense to me explained that way.

I have Aspergers, so I often don't understand some of the nuances when talking to people, so blunt and direct is always best with me :)

M
Lvl: 49, XP: 2184338, Gold: 15918, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 86, AC: 256%, AD: 30-35, AP: 3, ECC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 108%, DR: 1
Melarec
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Melarec »

I agree, ctnbeh, the story line should preferably be non-linear and mysterious.

But the first log in the search for Andor quest says "My father Mikhail..." And Mikhail says "Your brother, Andor." But maybe they were switched at birth.. Who knows.
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

All of the NPCs in both taverns seem to be either in use, or unnamed. There is however Blond Citizen (with bow n arrow) wandering in Fallhaven. Could I rename and use her?

Who would you suggest otherwise?

I could grab a drunk guard, or task on to one of the store keepers, but I don't want to muddy the waters too much. Should I just add a whole new NPC?

I feel like I'm walking a fine line between bugging you for instruction, but then I don't want to go down dead ends if I can help it...

M

Laptop Access, so here is take 2
{
"id": "hunt",
"name": "Happy Hunting",
"showInLog": 1,
"stages": [
{
"progress": 10,
"logText": "I met a hunter in Fallhaven who is too ill to go hunting. I have agreed to help in exchange for some training."
},
{
"progress": 20,
"logText": "I have been asked to bring 10 meat and four poison glands back from the snake caves south of Crossglen"
},
{
"progress": 30,
"logText": "The hunter was very pleased with the meat and glands.",
"rewardExperience": 100
},
{
"progress": 40,
"logText": "I now have to collect 10 meat and 5 animal hair from the foxes and boar to the east of Crossglen"
},
{
"progress": 100,
"logText": "I returned to the hunter with the meat and hair he asked for. He has taught me some hunting techniques and given me a skinning knife.",
"rewardExperience": 250,
"finishesQuest": 1
}
Last edited by Mourngrim on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lvl: 49, XP: 2184338, Gold: 15918, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

In the far southeast of Fallhaven there's a farmer that just tells you he's busy, please leave. Unless someone says there's a reason not to, I would just repurpose him.

(1) Hello, I’m looking for my brother Andor. He looks a bit like me.
(2) Sorry, I haven’t seen anyone like that. You should be careful if you stray any further from town than this looking for him. There are dangerous animals in the woods.
(3a) Thanks for the warning. I need to get going. I have to find my brother (end)
(3b) What sort of animals?
(4) Answer to (3b): There are wild dogs. They are not that dangerous, but you could get a nasty bite. The wolves and wild boars are more dangerous. The anklebiters are the ones you really have to watch out for though.
(5a) Thanks for the information. I need to get going. I have to find my brother (end)
(5b) You seem to know a lot about wild animals.
(6) Answer to (5b) Well, I’m a farmer now, but in my younger days I used to be a great hunter. I supplied most of the meat to the inns here and in Crossglen. I made good money selling wild game to the inns, enough that I could eventually buy this farm and settle down. Maybe I could give you some tips, in case you do decide to venture into the woods.
(7a) Thanks, but I think I can take care of myself. I need to get going. I have to find my brother (end)
(7b) Thanks for the offer. What can you tell me?
(8) Answer to (7b) First, you have to be quick, especially when hunting the more dangerous animals. West of here, just south of Crossglen, is a cave, with a lot of snakes. They are fast, but not so dangerous they are likely to kill you, so it’s a good place to hone your reflexes…
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

That's some good stuff, thanks!
Eurase
android_version: 1.6 - Donut

Post by Eurase »

Another simple low-level quest could lead to Fallhaven to clean the moss of the one grave stone at the cemetary. Maybe first one might read all names and come back, and then it turns out that the one of a specific Person isn't readable anymore.
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

First draft, feedback please. Particularly the amount and quality of the dialogue.
START 1) Hello there.
a) Hello, I wonder if you've seen my brother?

2) Gone missing has he? I hope he's better prepared than you, or he wont last five minutes around here. Your momma know you're out here kid?
a) Yes, well... Thanks (end)
b) I can handle the odd ant on the path.

3) Ants? Ha ha! There's worse than ants round here kid. We've got as bad a case of rabies as I've ever seen, and more snakes than you can shake a stick at. That's just within a stones throw from here.
a) Oh. I'll be careful. Thanks (end)
b) Snakes with Rabies?

4) By the Shadow, how have you lived this long without being eaten? When I was your age I could kill and skin anything betweeen Feygard and Nor City. You'll be lucky to get to the tavern in one piece. Don't you have no woods lore boy?
a) I need to find my brother, goodbye (end)
b) I'm a farmer, I ...

5) Look kid, If you want to last more than ten minutes, you got to know what you're fighting, how to kill it, and how to make some gold from the bits left over. Tell you what, you show me you're willing to learn, and I'll teach you a bit about hunting, deal?
a) I don't have time, I have to find Andor (end)
b) If it will help find my brother, sure.
c) If there's gold in it, you bet!

Quest 10 "Happy Hunting" accepted. "I have met a hunter who is going to teach me a bit about hunting."

6) Right, west of here, just south of Crossglen is a cave that's a breeding ground for snakes. Get me 10 meat and 4 poison glands and I'll know you got the right stuff. Now, the trick with snakes is to hit them near the head, so you can keep the best meat, but don't hit the head or you might split the glands.
a) Some other time maybe, I should keep looking for my brother (end)
b) I'll be back with some snake.

Quest updated 20. "I have agreed to bring back 10 meat and 4 poison glands from snakes in a cave just south of Crossglen."

\------

DEFAULT "How's the hunt going?"
Q0) I'm still looking (end)
Q20) What was it you wanted? (7)
Q20) Here are your snake bits.(8) Quest updated 30 "I have returned with the snake bits for the hunter". 14 inventory items removed. 100 exp awarded.
Q40) What was it you wanted? (9)
Q40) Here is your hairy meat. (10) Quest updated 50 "I have returned with the hairy bits for the hunter". 15 inventory items removed. 100 exp awarded.
Q60) What was it you wanted? (11)
Q60) Here is your wolf meat. (12) Quest updated 70 "I have returned with the wolf bits for the hunter". 10 inventory items removed.
\------

7) 10 meat and 4 poison glands from the cave to the west.
a) OK, I'm on it.

8) Not bad. A bit rough, but passable for your first try. A bit trickier now, between Crossglen and here are some foxes and boar. Get me 10 meat and 5 animal hair from them. Again, a neck shot is good here, but the head and legs are also targets. Try not to mess up the body, as that is where the pelt and best meat are from.
a) This is taking too long, I better get back to looking for my brother. (end)
b) Fox and boar, got it. Quest updated 40 "I have agreed to collect 10 meat and 5 animal hair for the hunter".

9) 10 meat and 5 animal hair from the boar and foxes between Crossglen and here.
a) No problem.

10) You're getting better kid, there's hope for you yet. Right, last one for now. South of here are a load of wolves. Get me 5 meat and 5 hair from them and I'll believe you're ready to wander on your own.
a) This is taking too long, I better get back to looking for my brother. (end)
b) Wolves, lovely. Quest updated 60 "I have agreed to collect 5 meat and 5 animal hair for the hunter".

11) 5 meat and 5 animal hair from the wolves to the south. Got it?
a) Got it.

12) You're alright kid, I reckon you'll be fine. Here, take this knife, it will help you out there, and good luck looking for your brother.
Quest completed 100 "I completed the hunters tasks. He has given me a knife and taught me some hunting."
250 exp awarded
You gained an inventory item (skinning knife).
Skill awarded "Hunting".
a) Thanks.