v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Development of AT using Stencyl

Discussions of the development process of the game.
witchcraft
android_version: 4.3

Development of AT using Stencyl

Post by witchcraft »

seeing how AT is in its current state of development i cant help but wonder if it couldnt be finished quicker and with less time using a program called Stencyl. Stencyl even has an easy interface to learn for new coders and allows for block coding rather simply. Purely hypothetical of course but it would allow for a much easier way to code and share than the current method i feel.
BB
Ritchee the witch
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Development of AT using Stencyl

Post by ace »

AT's slow development is not a coding problem but less time available because no one is paid for it. and another thing is it seems like we have to restart from scratch in stencyl as shown in google searches and I fear that it may take more time to reach where we are at present. but thanks for your advice :D
Last edited by ace on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
witchcraft

Post by witchcraft »

well one of the neat things about stencyl is it generally allows for drag and drop coding which makes it extremely time efficient...the only real problem would be creating the tileset and charactors through stencyl, the behavior coding and a few other bits like that...after that it would pretty much be way more efficient i feel
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

It looks like a fun tool. It kinda reminds me of MIT's scratch. A graphical coding tool to introduce kids to development.
This is utterly unfit for AT for several reasons :
- It's meant for game creation from scratch, not to keep on working on an existing project.
- It's meant to help game designers who can't code, while we're more coders who can't design games :)
- Writing "real" code is way faster than drag and drop,and less limited.
- Stencyl for android costs 200$/year per developer. I only use tools that cost 0$/century maximum.
- It's not open source, while AT and all the necessary tools to develop it are. AT respects your freedom. Stencyl doesn't.
So, no, AT and Stencyl won't be playing together anytime soon.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

There's also the fact that AT has a Content Studio that can be used to make much more complex scenarios Scratch out-of-the-box.
ideas plox
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

Zukero wrote: - Stencyl for android costs 200$/year per developer. I only use tools that cost 0$/century maximum.
lol, I didn't saw that first!!?
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail