v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Discussions of the development process of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:
A savvy player can take advantage of them not moving on the diagonals. If you go straight at a monster, when you are in the adjacent square there's a chance it will try to move onto yours, and then it gets the first attack. But if you attack from the diagonal the monster will never try to move onto your square, so you always get the first attack (except, maybe there's a 15% chance it can attack when when you are adjacent to it? I said earlier that couldn't happen but now I'm not certain of that). So that leads to the question of whether that is by design, or just a side effect of limits in the monster AI / game engine.
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 289#p51289

If nothing else, this is certainly known by Zukero.
I don't think there's any reason to change it.

If a monster is strolling aimlessly, it would make no sense to walk on diagonals.

But when it's following/fleeing... well I just had to change it.
ideas plox
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

twirlimp wrote:There was a rather clear comment that said "only move in straight lines" next to the responsible line.
twirlimp wrote:well I just had to change it.
I hope you have a lightening proof hat :mrgreen:
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:
twirlimp wrote:There was a rather clear comment that said "only move in straight lines" next to the responsible line.
twirlimp wrote:well I just had to change it.
I hope you have a lightening proof hat :mrgreen:
When you put those two sentences together... :P

btw were you the one who suggested inventory presets for quick-switching between equipment?

Because I just made a thread about it.
ideas plox
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

btw were you the one who suggested inventory presets for quick-switching between equipment?
I was. I made a comment on it.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:
If there is no reason to aim because monster is fleeing and will not attack you, than using a crossbow to melee is not ideal. Of course, you could switch between weapons, but that's a good amount of clicking before you are ready to hit. I would suggest a button that would go in the toolbox that allows you to switch between your current set of weapon(s) and the more ideal set for the evolving combat situation. This will make it entirely more convenient. What do you think?
I added the new button to toolbox :P

Check out the new thread.
ideas plox
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Your latest version, AndorsTrail_RangedBeta_06_b_with_new_interface_TESTING.apk, does not allow me to load any savegame. It says they are corrupted. Version 6b is OK in this respect, but the bows don't show up in inventory.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:Your latest version, AndorsTrail_RangedBeta_06_b_with_new_interface_TESTING.apk, does not allow me to load any savegame. It says they are corrupted. Version 6b is OK in this respect, but the bows don't show up in inventory.
You can't load old save games because save games now hold your presets and you're using a debug version that doesn't try to be backwards compatible.

I seem to have forgotten to add a line that says " if file version > 42" before loading the new presets. I did it at first but seem to have erased it while rewriting a section.

As for 6b, I'll look into it now although I believe if anything was wrong with bows seems fixed in newer versions ether on purpose or not. I didn't notice anything about them not going into inventory.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Ok now.

Next thing I'm going to do is that I'm going to put default values for the monsters that make them behave like they did before.

Then I'll add this behavior to only specific monsters. I'll add chickens that flee as soon as you attack, and I'll make rabid dogs follow you for a decent length.

I'm considering adding a short quest or two to demonstrate this behavior.
Basically the new behavior is going to be just that: new. You'll have to discover it piece-by-piece like a new map.
ideas plox
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

twirlimp wrote:
rijackson741 wrote:As for 6b, I'll look into it now although I believe if anything was wrong with bows seems fixed in newer versions ether on purpose or not. I didn't notice anything about them not going into inventory.
Forget it. I just forgot to press the bows button :oops:
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Well, I guess this fearless leader thing was about me... Dunno if I'm that fearless ;)

Quickly:
- Monsters moving diagonally is not a problem for me.
- All features in the same branch means more work to merge only some of them, so I would have preferred several of them, but hey, free code is as good as free beer. I won't complain. Only one issue though, if I merge snippets of code one by one, I'll be creating new commits, not including yours (thus your name) in the code history.
- Advice: backwards compatibility with saves is easy to screw up, so make sure to do it, and test it, step by step.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2