v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

(IT'S ALIVE) Inv Equipment Favorites & Quick Presets

Discussions of the development process of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

(IT'S ALIVE) Inv Equipment Favorites & Quick Presets

Post by twirlimp »

I added three "Preset" categories that the player can use to assign favorite items and armor for quick-equipping.

You can assign as much non-equipables as you want, but if you try to assign two wearables that go in same slot then it will remove the old one.

This way you can use the Presets for both equipment quick-load and for manual sorting of consumables/quest items.
device-2016-01-11-215726.png
device-2016-01-11-215818.png
device-2016-01-11-215900.png

Tell me what you think and I also have a question.
When switching between presets, and a preset has empty slots but you were wearing items in those slots, do you want them to be empited, or would you rather keep those items to fill the empty space?

Some more notes.
You can assign the same item to many presets, but currently if you want to un-assign it then it's removed from all.
I might make it detect automatically which tab you have open, and remove it from all presets only if you're not inside a preset tab.

The quick-load button for presets is in the toolbox (it's the black shield with green).
This means you have to leave the inventory to switch. I decided this is okay as I don't think we need more buttons inside the inventory screen.
I might add the same "shield" button to the inventory beside the categories, as I believe the width of 2.45" screens is still accommodating the things I added.

So what do you think?

btw I still have bit more work in order to detect dual-wields and 2h and so on.
I was more focused on the essentials first, like... assigning and saving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by twirlimp on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ideas plox
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: (Added Pictures) Inv Equipment Favorites & Quick Presets

Post by Nick »

When switching between presets, and a preset has empty slots do you them to be empty, or would you rather keep the items that were equipped before the preset in those slots?
I think keeping the items that where equipped is best.
You can assign the same item to many presets, but currently if you want to un-assign it then it's removed from all.
I might make it detect automatically which tab you have open, and remove it from all presets only if you're not inside a preset tab.
I think what you might do is best. That way there is the option to remove an item from all presets and individual ones as desired.
The quick-load button for presets is in the toolbox (it's the black shield with green).
This means you have to leave the inventory to switch. I decided this is okay as I don't think we need more buttons inside the inventory screen.
I might add the same "shield" button to the inventory beside the categories, as I believe the width of 2.45" screens is still accommodating the things I added.
An icon to switch in the inventory could be nice to see stat changes quicker, but as is it's fine.

Over all this sounds great! are you able to customize the names of the presets?
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:
When switching between presets, and a preset has empty slots do you them to be empty, or would you rather keep the items that were equipped before the preset in those slots?
I think keeping the items that where equipped is best.
Yeah actually this doesn't make a difference to me code-wise.
It was basically going to be an extra line that says "clear worn items" before equipping the preset.
I just needed to get community input and opinions.
Nick wrote:
I think what you might do is best. That way there is the option to remove an item from all presets and individual ones as desired.
I was afraid I won't end up with a non-confusing and non-annoying solution but I think this is something intuitive to understand.
Nick wrote:
An icon to switch in the inventory could be nice to see stat changes quicker, but as is it's fine.
I'll have to add the button and see how it looks.
Nick wrote: Over all this sounds great! are you able to customize the names of the presets?
Well, I can, because I'm coding them...
Seriously though, this is something I considered but I don't think I'll implement.

I did consider renaming them to Favorites or Custom but I'm not sure yet.
I like the idea of the player doing his own naming and customisation in his head.
I just give him the boxes, and he does what he wishes...
ideas plox
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Changing the name from "Preset #x" to something else seems mandatory, but otherwise a nice idea, which I believe many players will love. Make sure to take into account the reequip AP cost though, to prevent "free" reequip during battles.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:Changing the name from "Preset #x" to something else seems mandatory, but otherwise a nice idea, which I believe many players will love. Make sure to take into account the reequip AP cost though, to prevent "free" reequip during battles.
It uses the normal "equip" function for this task so I need to check but I think it's ok.

Btw, The preset is literally just a list of itemTypes and not a container by itself.
It's sole purpose really is to provide a list of items for the UI and for batch-equipping.

I'm not sure what to rename the presets, or did you mean the user should ben given the option?
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:Changing the name from "Preset #x" to something else seems mandatory, but otherwise a nice idea, which I believe many players will love. Make sure to take into account the reequip AP cost though, to prevent "free" reequip during battles.
Btw there was the other thread about sorting/categories that you might want to look at if you haven't.

I implemented the skill categories that Voom suggested (the thread was called "crazy skills") and I just thought that maybe you'd like to comment on the UI.
ideas plox
Nick

Post by Nick »

twirlimp wrote:I'm not sure what to rename the presets, or did you mean the user should ben given the option?
The user should be given the option.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:
twirlimp wrote:I'm not sure what to rename the presets, or did you mean the user should ben given the option?
Maybe in the game preferences?
ideas plox
Nick

Post by Nick »

twirlimp wrote:
Nick wrote:
That would at least work. I think it would be better in each game specifically, since each character may vary widely on what equipment they use. That also may change what a player would want to name it. If done in preferences there may be multiple fields for a specific game that you won't use.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:
twirlimp wrote:
Nick wrote:
That would at least work. I think it would be better in each game specifically, since each character may vary widely on what equipment they use. That also may change what a player would want to name it. If done in preferences there may be multiple fields for a specific game that you won't use.
It would work but really I'm afraid of how many buttons I'm squeezing into the inventory menu :p I'll just put a small button with a pencil that stands for editing.
ideas plox