v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Public Alpha of the new UI

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Miker
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Re: Public Alpha of the new UI

Post by Miker »

Ya that makes sense... I've got the whole mountain swamps, and the cliff faces to do yet...

As for the saves, I'd understand the reason for the incompatibility.. but I'd just KEEP using the new UI I've already leveled 2 levels with it from 16 to 18... And unless this UI (I'd guess) I'd adopted into the main game I'd have to redo them, witch at the moment isn't that big of a deal..

I say atleast set an option to incorporate from one to the other, if for nothing else then more people would be inclined bto test more/longer...

And ya that it's done that way on purpose makes sense, as if it can load from the original it should be able to save original compatible...

And ya honestly can't wait for the update.. as I'm not even close to where I was a few years ago, then all's I was left to do is grinding, and it got boring, reason I never restarted on the new phone... Lol

Mike
Miker

Post by Miker »

Lol, is it the "*" at the start of the file?
Mike
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

It's not a problem of UI or anything.
It's just that debug builds contain unreleased content that is subject to change, and can use a format that is temporary (has a different data format than the previous release version, yet the next release version will use yet another format), and keeping track of all intermediate and temporary saves format isn't worth the trouble.
As such, a release version has many chances to simply crash on a debug build's saves, and we don't want that to happen. So we taint the debug builds' saves so that release versions know not to load them.
We'd rather focus efforts on getting the next release out.

Two levels from 16 to 18 isn't such a large gap. I know grinding can be boring, and there will be content in the next release that is specifically targeting the levels 10 to 20 to reduce necessary grinding. The longer you play that char on a debug build, the less likely you are to ever want to do it again when the awesome new version is released, so I suggest you to switch back to the Google Play version.
I know it'll be hard to return to the old look after having tasted that one. It is hard for me when I have tests to do on other branches of development that do not have the new UI integrated.

The other alternative is trying to be a hacker, and attempt decoding the file format on your own (the source code can help), to adapt your new saves to the future format. I have no idea how hard that will be as I don't know yet if the saves format will need more changes before the release.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Miker

Post by Miker »

Lol ya already did... And went in and played with the save file s little, very little, and ya it looks like the organization of the data is rearranged... To much to do, me knowing nothing about how the source... But if it's different for every test build then there's really no point...

So I'll put out there that everything seemed to work fine... While grinding at the snake cave it seemed that they were respawning ALOT faster, with no arguments here...

And I went and did the troll/guard tower mission, and upped to 2 rings of backstabbing (Vileguard), and the necklace of fallhaven, and as mentioned went 2 levels up..

Mike

EDIT:

actually scratch that respawning, it's doing the same with the play version, must be a level or equipment thing, plus I've switched up my meat collection routine yesterday when I installed this version...
DanielS
VIP
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by DanielS »

- Device brand and model: Samsung Galaxy J7
- Android version: 7.0
- System language and "Localized resources" preferences setting (What language is used in the UI): Polish

Start game from the beginning. Everything works smoothly. I' be discovered two new quest - not finished yet.
That's no big problem for me but on start screeen in landscape position of device info about dev version covers game logo. There' s still no full Polish translation in the game and I see some new strings to translate (BTW- will The Weblate page be update in the nearest future?).
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

We know about the dev version info. It's not worth addressing, because it's only there in the dev version.

There will be many new strings to translate :D
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

Thanks for your feedback DanielS

The content translation are indeed missing in the debug builds. The new UI strings to translate will be on weblate as soon as I merge this feature in the main development branch. I have a very few rough edges to clean up beforehand.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
Omicronrg9
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by Omicronrg9 »

Hi again!

Phone: Motorola Moto G (2nd gen)
Android Version: 6.0 (Marshmallow) No Custom ROMs installed.
Localized resources: ON - Spanish
Issues found:
  • Player Debuffs/Buffs info that appears in the botton right corner of the screen is overlapped by the quickslots when they are place in the bottom on the screen. (See first picture)
  • World map is shown from the top left corner, and recenter option does not seem to have any effect. (See second picture, this is what the game shows when I press the Worldmap option before getting to my location manually)
  • Total attack chance (and Block Chance) in the inventory screen are shown as percentages...But I'm not sure if there is an error.(Third screenshot,but shown the first)
What I like: Everything looks incredible.I did not really expect this.When I saw the main screen change I got shocked and I got shocked again with the rest (Inventory,fight bar,dialogue screens,shop...).
The new scrolling movement makes the game seem smoother, fancier...Really this UI is going to "level up" AT (Without mentioning the whole other stuff you're doing and you've done).

I almost forgot: thank you, finally I can see my red life bar (It's going to be sad when going back to the Play Store version,as my HP will become transparent again) and I love the new AP bar.

What I don't like: I think It would be absurd saying anything about the translation in its current state.

Something that I would improve is, again, the player debuff/buff info that appears in the bottom right corner of the screen.Imagine you're a novice and you don't know what's the debuff that plaguestrider has applied to you.It would be great that if you press the actor condition icon, it shows up a window with information about this buff/debuff.Even you could condense this button in only one when you have more than two actor conditions active, and the information about each of them would be shown there in that window.

Although I know this is no the right place,I think I must wonder about the new player sprite.Is It going to be in the future release?
Honestly I've never understood why the player sprite has a punch on his left hand.

Other suggestions:

• Make the stats of the items (I'm referring to [30% 2-7 +5x2.5] in a weapon for example) a bit grey or of a different colour to make it not part of the name but of the "properties" itself.I'm not sure if I've explained well...

• There're a wide variety of skills, and to learn some of them you need to train some other first.Why don't make an aesthetic difference beetween them?

• I just noticed the AP bar is moved a little to the right.

Finally, I can read the text on the screen without problems.

Keep working guys,you've done it amazing so far!!

Greetings,
Omicronrg9.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

Thanks for your feedback Omicronrg9.

The overlapping issue is a choice I made.
Making these icons part of the bottom UI bar would eat to much screen estate and essentially leave little room for the playing area.
Using only one icon with an indicator of how many are actives is mostly unreadable. I'd rather have magnitude (multiplier) and duration shown.
Those aren't clickable because otherwise it would prevent moving in some case, for example when the map's exit is in the lower-right corner of the map.

You're right that there are still some % symbols that need to be eradicated.

For the worldmap, do the recenter button (top right in map view) work for you? I couldn't get this to work on my phone either, but it's working everywhere else...
Omicronrg9
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by Omicronrg9 »

For the worldmap, do the recenter button (top right in map view) work for you? I couldn't get this to work on my phone either, but it's working everywhere else.
No,It doesn't work.

I understand your choice.Anyway you can move those three buttons if you want to see them without problems (Or at least I think so).I've understood why they're not clickable too.

I'll post whatever I consider strange.

Greetings,
Omicronrg9.

Edit: I suggest make the difference beetween the Main Quest/s (I don't know how the story's development will be) and sub-quests.It would be good although it is just for the aesthetic.
Greetings again!