v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Looking ahead on the next version

Discussions of the development process of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Looking ahead on the next version

Post by oskarwiksten »

I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel that is v0.6.9 , and have started to contemplate what should be our aim for the next version after that. One minor thing is that I haven't even decided on whether we should call the next release v0.6.10 or go for v0.7.0 . I guess it depends on what we want to include in it :) . Maybe v0.6.9 really should have been v0.7.0 because of the major redesign of the item effect system.

Anyway, larger things that I think would be interesting additions for the players in the coming version would be: What are your thoughts on what we should focus on?

Other minor things that I have on my todo-list, that are not necessarily connected to a specific release are:
Editor:
  • "Add" button should be at the top, not the bottom
  • Load/link existing resource files somehow. (how?)
  • You should be able to delete rows from table editor
  • You should be able to delete items/monsters/dialogues/quests
  • There should be a "Clear" button for each resource category
  • Show item pictures for linked items
  • Add automatic checks for required fields
  • Add a way to check for data consistency
  • Sort left-side accordion alphabetically
  • Add some way to filter accordion data
  • Export data as google doc spreadsheet
  • Compare stuff in editor to eachother
  • Bug: when creating a new conversation phrase, the tree seems to bug out when you change the phrase id
  • Remove performance bottlenecks when working with larga data sets
  • Add a way to duplicate an item/monster/droplist
Translation: Mapmaking
  • Create a program or script that rearranges map tiles according to new maptile images. I want to change the naming and arrangement on the maptiles, and would like to create a program that based on a new set of tileset images rearranges the existing maps to the new tileset images.
Community
  • Create a tutorial with screenshots on how to create a simple dialogue with quest
  • Create a tutorial with screenshots on how to create a monster with droplist and place it on a map
  • Create a tutorial with screenshots on how to set up eclipse and subversion to compile the game and how to submit patches
Other:
  • Respond to the enormous built-up mailbox and forum PMs over the last two weeks :)
If someone wants to help on the above things, please let me know!
/Oskar
Dreia

Re: Looking ahead on the next version

Post by Dreia »

Just for a bit of levity. . .I'll do the email and PM's! :P

On a serious note though I was really hoping that the next pass would see weapon balancing. . .
~Level 33~
~HP: 65 ~ AP: 2 ~ AC: 143% ~ DMG: 23 ~ BC: 32% ~
Small Rocks: 1000 RoLS: 0
Kim

Post by Kim »

Somehow I doubt the final version (v1.0.0) will be possible within 30 updates if the version numbers can only be single digit. Personally do I think we should wait with v0.7.0 until in-game map is done. Skills and/or classes can be v0.8.0.
One could argue that skills/classes are more important than a visual thing like a in-game map, but balancing the skills is half the work thus requiring further discussions.

Next release should again focus on improving the tool(s) for creating new content as this will reduce waiting between future releases long term. Add in a few game improvements coupled with new maps & quests so its not "all dev" :lol:

Quest making is a major time consumer, so a tutorial is a must. Finalizing the translation tool (choice?) would be nice.
Addressing fixes and suggested improvements for the new editor is vital and also a must.
Improving the shops (prices, filtering, buy/sell & more item types) could be the "next version game improvement".
You are no longer alone in making maps as a few users have made some good maps. A great time saver.
A tutorial for getting latest SVN version, compiling it and testing it may introduce a new coder or two ;)

Yet again do I suggest you delegate/assign certain areas to volunteers - the main quest will remain your story to tell. sdevaney has found some users to help moderate the forums as well as keep spam posts out.
LVL 58|XP 3607866|GOLD 119249|HP 159|AP 6|AC 199|AD 35-45|CC 10|CM 0|BC 100|DR 12|
HTC Wildfire - Android 2.2.1 |Rocks 3526|RoLS 0|Update 2013/10/19|
taws34

Post by taws34 »

Possibly try to include movement animations as you walk around.. East/West/North/South.
Also, tiles for shield/weapon/no equipment.
Level: 24, Experience: 261279, Gold: 4009, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0
Hitpoints: 55, Attack chance: 127%, Attack damage: 22-23, Attack cost: 3, Critical hit chance: 20%, Critical multiplier: 3, Block chance: 39%, Damage resistance: 1
ScorpionZ

Post by ScorpionZ »

taws34 wrote:Possibly try to include movement animations as you walk around.. East/West/North/South.
Also, tiles for shield/weapon/no equipment.
I'm not sure if this is feasable with the size of the character and the memory usage of the program.
Level: 49
XP: 2108290
Attack Cost: 3
Attack Chance: 166%
Attack Damage: 22-23
Critical Hit Chance: 25%
Critical Multiplier: 3
Block Chance: 92%
RoLS: 1
SR: 2945