Balancing a skill system

Discussions of the development process of the game.
slayer
android_version: 4.0

Re: Balancing a skill system

Post by slayer »

Umm, if I have 20 points when the update comes then 18 points into magic finder, and 2 into speed.
slayer

Lvl: 152, XP: 64525939, Gold: 2095292, HP: 219
AC: 400%, AD: 52-68, AP: 12/4, BC 254%, DR: 3
CS: 2 QL: 22 IF: 2 REGEN: 1 MF :8 FS:DW: 2 S:DW: 1 OHSP: 1 LAP: 1

RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 5, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 2
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Well, here's a new twist on the old, but yet popular, magic finder topic. Presently I do not have a RoL. However, for the sake of my collection, I figured I would just wait until the skill of magic finder is released, so as not to have to spend an insane amount of time, in such a boring location, waiting after each imp kill after kill, to see if I got one yet. I can't believe that I would find a use for the sword, and the amount of experience gained in working to achieve it is so minimal in comparison to the Blackwater Mountain area. So while I find the idea of magic finder appealing, I question, is it really fair for me to so easily pick up a legendary item such as the RoL because the magic finder skill allows me to make a hit & run style approach of collecting legendary items in map areas that I don't particularly find appealing? Btw, how many legendary items do you have to collect before they are no longer legendary? If I should choose to put a good number of my points into this particular skill, and I enjoy leveling up in the Blackwater Mountain area, It's quite conceivable that I could easily collect 14 or more ElyR's. While I agree with the magic finder skill, I truly believe there needs to be a fair amount of balance implemented in its ability and benefit. ;)
One of even fewer...
ctnbeh13
VIP

Post by ctnbeh13 »

I would like to offer the following 2 skills for consideration:

Path Maker - Allows your character to automatically land 2 consecutive hits regardless of your current AP, once per NPC, at the beginning of your round of combat.

Ring Binder - Allows your character to combine any 2 single band rings together to receive full benefit from each ring, allowing 4 wearable rings in total, 2 per hand. As the decision has already been made not to allow the regeneration effect of the RoLS to be "stackable", simply change the icon/appearance of it to a double banded ring (problem solved?).
One of even fewer...
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

ctnbeh13 wrote:Well, here's a new twist on the old, but yet popular, magic finder topic. Presently I do not have a RoL. However, for the sake of my collection, I figured I would just wait until the skill of magic finder is released, so as not to have to spend an insane amount of time, in such a boring location, waiting after each imp kill after kill, to see if I got one yet. I can't believe that I would find a use for the sword, and the amount of experience gained in working to achieve it is so minimal in comparison to the Blackwater Mountain area. So while I find the idea of magic finder appealing, I question, is it really fair for me to so easily pick up a legendary item such as the RoL because the magic finder skill allows me to make a hit & run style approach of collecting legendary items in map areas that I don't particularly find appealing? Btw, how many legendary items do you have to collect before they are no longer legendary? If I should choose to put a good number of my points into this particular skill, and I enjoy leveling up in the Blackwater Mountain area, It's quite conceivable that I could easily collect 14 or more ElyR's. While I agree with the magic finder skill, I truly believe there needs to be a fair amount of balance implemented in its ability and benefit. ;)
An interesting point, but I think its balanced enough as it is, at only a 50% increase, instead of the originally planned 100% (which I would still love to see instead). Its basically going to be similar to any other aspect of the game that becomes a easier if you have grinded out a lot of xp between updates.

The odds are still not super high (going by Samuel's post, your odds are still 1:1667 if you use 10 skill points). Also, for the ElyR and the ROL, you can only equip one of either at a time, so having multiples just means something to sell, and if you have enough xp to get 10 or more skill points, chances are you got plenty of gold anyway.

Also, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't plan to use all my skill points for the Magic Finder. The speed skill (increased AP) is, IMO, the best one available since it works with whatever weapon you have, and boosting critical hit and chance seem good too.

I think 50% is as low as the Magic Finder boost should get, and even a little higher wouldn't be bad.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
ctnbeh13
VIP

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Mino,

You address another interesting point when you say, "Also, for the ElyR and the ROL, you can only equip one of either at a time, so having multiples just means something to sell". If I remember correctly, as it stands now, some legendary items are locked into your inventory and unsellable to merchants (such as Shadow of the slayer & ElyR). I would like to see a legendary items dealer/collector centrally located somewhere on the map that would buy, and sell you back, your inventory, and help unload some of those extra items. The only stipulation would be, you can't buy back anything you haven't sold to him or her. The opportunity to reveal all legendary items that exist could be displayed here with the items you haven't discovered/sold to him/her being greyed out. Maybe the dealer/collector could even offer hints (for a price?) as to where each item originates. The concept of a sideline quest requiring you to collect 3, maybe 5 of each legendary item (1 per museum), depending on the final world map size, to be deliverable to a larger community's museum for display, sounds appealing to me. If the museums were spread out evenly upon the world map this would definitely enhance game play time. Perhaps upon filling an individual museum, you could be rewarded with a new legendary item. Upon filling all 3 to 5 museums, and receiving your legendary item from each, then those collected in turn, if you so chose, could be turned into the legendary items dealer/collector for something even more uniquely powerful and rare. Just a thought. ;)
One of even fewer...
nezkeys79
android_version: 2.2

Post by nezkeys79 »

Great additions cannot wait.

By the way is there any plan to add a feature where you can warp/travel in an instant to any of the beds used not just the last? And do you plan on expanding the idea of guilds? eg. Thieves guild, warriors guild, and mages guild with a ton of quests for each. And maybe create a job system like thief, priest, mage etc
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

nezkeys79 wrote:Great additions cannot wait.

By the way is there any plan to add a feature where you can warp/travel in an instant to any of the beds used not just the last? And do you plan on expanding the idea of guilds? eg. Thieves guild, warriors guild, and mages guild with a ton of quests for each. And maybe create a job system like thief, priest, mage etc
There are topic on each of these on the ideas bored i beleive but i am unsure if they plan on implimenting them any time soon (or at all).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nezkeys79

Post by nezkeys79 »

Ctnbeh...wow level 132. I had assumed max was 99 or a 100. Now im thinking 255 or even 999 lol. I'm only 25 and already losing the will to live grinding at the top of blackwater mountain. Levels go by so slowly now what's your trick? I thought level 50 was impossible unless I wanted to give uo my life, and get constant migraines
nezkeys79

Post by nezkeys79 »

cool ill check them out.

Just a quickie...are these legendary items better than the current assumed best of 2 +6 damage rings, jewel of fallhaven, venomous dagger? Or are people just collecting them for bragging rights, or boredom in between updates. I have to admit now that I have done all the quests I have kind of lost interest and unless these items are superior then I will just do something else until next update LOL
Samuel
VIP

Post by Samuel »

nezkeys79 wrote:Ctnbeh...wow level 132. I had assumed max was 99 or a 100. Now im thinking 255 or even 999 lol. I'm only 25 and already losing the will to live grinding at the top of blackwater mountain. Levels go by so slowly now what's your trick? I thought level 50 was impossible unless I wanted to give uo my life, and get constant migraines
Currently the level is restricted to 2147483647. ;-)
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0