v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Balancing a skill system

Discussions of the development process of the game.
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Balancing a skill system

Post by ctnbeh13 »

nezkeys79 wrote:Ctnbeh...wow level 132. I had assumed max was 99 or a 100. Now im thinking 255 or even 999 lol. I'm only 25 and already losing the will to live grinding at the top of blackwater mountain. Levels go by so slowly now what's your trick? I thought level 50 was impossible unless I wanted to give uo my life, and get constant migraines
nezkeys79,

Sorry for such a lengthy delay in replying, but for some reason I haven't been getting my updates to forum topics I'm currently subscribed to by email. I'll have to keep an eye on that and report it if it continues.

I only reached level 125 early this morning. I'm not quite to 132 just yet. I've really just been a casual player since the early days, with a slight obsession with leveling up my character in the gargoyle cave, while occasionally picking up a legendary item now and then in the process. When Blackwater Mountain was added, that became the new "best place to level up", with the added bonus of occasionally picking up a legendary item now and then, again.

I don't really have a trick to share, but I do repeat a "pattern" that usually gives me an average of about 6,000 experience points per run. I don't pay any attention to passing time (I couldn't if I wanted to), and make a point of just playing to gain experience points to level up. If you make collecting a legendary item your goal, or primary focus, you increase your level of frustration, and begin to miss out on enjoying the game. A fair amount of time is usually required to obtain legendary items at this point in the game.

It was only recently that I began to feel that I was making minimal progress while playing due to the ever growing requirement of gained experience points to level up. This past week or two, I committed to an equal number of projects that left me with less to spend playing. My current average is about one level per week.

For every player I would recommend the same, play for your own personal enjoyment and entertainment. Don't compare yourself and/or progress with anyone else, as there are far more variables to take into account than you'll most likely consider (this applies to real life as well). One advantage I have over some players, is that my previous device, as well as my new one, has a physical keyboard that allows me much more precise character movement control compared to someone using a touch screen only device. The next release of Andor's Trail version 0.6.10 alpha should squelch this issue as it will offer a virtual D-pad.

Remember, just have fun. Try to perceive the High Score List as a guide for individuals you can check in with for tips, suggestions, and general game questions, rather than to comparatively measure yourself against. There will always be someone better than me, and someone worse than me, in any area of which a person can be measured or evaluated. I find peace and contentment in not being one who is measuring and evaluating. It's perfectly fine to be inspired by others. :)
One of even fewer...
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Well said! I found that playing to gain XP, rather than trying to get an elusive legendary item definitely helped with making the game less frustrating at times. And reading about the skill system (and the item drop rate one in particular) provided even more incentive to level up, which I'm currently doing between the cabin and BWM settlement. If I happen to get an ElyR from one of the trainers, great, but if not, they still give out a good 199 xp and a good amount of gold too.

I've found the high score list to also help keep the game fun, with the friendly competition aspect it brings in, and also just knowing I'm not the only one to keep playing between updates.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I have a question about the Corpse Eater skill which restores 1 HP on every kill. Will it stack with the same effect from the Shadow of the slayer - so if I use 1 skill point and have the SotS I will get 2 HP restored on every kill?
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Mino,

If my understanding is correct (I always want to indicate an area where I may be in error), the skill system is complimentary to what has previously been established. To answer your question, given your provided example, I would say the answer should be yes.
One of even fewer...
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

IMO this should stack too.
It would not stack if it would give an unstackable Actor Condition like Regeneration is. (RoLS)
But there is no Actor Condition given.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0