Game save slots

Discussions of the development process of the game.
nezkeys79
android_version: 2.2

Re: Game save slots

Post by nezkeys79 »

You're wrong. I had only used 1 of the 4 slots and I selected new game to try the mage character and it said "are you sure blah blah blah" straight away. You only need 2 files for each character. The main data and one to save to while testing stuff. Do you don't need any more than 6. Waste of space and time to have unlimited. You seem to have said many of my ideas are not needed but when I see some of the things talked about for the next update they are just poxy additions in my opinion.
kabbie1882

Post by kabbie1882 »

nezkeys79 wrote:You're wrong. I had only used 1 of the 4 slots and I selected new game to try the mage character and it said "are you sure blah blah blah" straight away. You only need 2 files for each character. The main data and one to save to while testing stuff. Do you don't need any more than 6. Waste of space and time to have unlimited. You seem to have said many of my ideas are not needed but when I see some of the things talked about for the next update they are just poxy additions in my opinion.
This is where you need to do a forum search BEFORE you start bashing a game in multiple threads.

It does NOT overwrite anything except the slot you chose. You can have 4 different games saved at any one time. Take the time to read through this and other threads on the subject and you will understand. I have 12 games saved myself. I save the 4 saved game files to my computer or another part of my SD card. A very large population that plays this game, want more game save slots.

You r are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to bash things you have not taken the time to understand.
Ha Ha, Made you look.
nezkeys79
android_version: 2.2

Post by nezkeys79 »

Ate you saying I can have 1 file for the warrior, 1 file for the thief, and 1 for the mage? That is 3 different games. I know I can save 4 files with my warrior. I'm just saying I didn't even select a save slot I just selected new game and before I could select the free slot it said all data would be erased. So i thought I won't risk it. Unless you say I can in fact have 3 of these files with a different character then i apologise for assuming otherwise
kabbie1882

Post by kabbie1882 »

Yes you can change the name for each one.

Try this ....

1. Connect device to computer
2. Copy "Andor's Trail" file from SD card to your desk top (this is your back up)
3. Disconnect from computer
4. Start a new game with new name
5. Save game to slot 1
6. Exit to menu
7. Start a new game with new name
8. Save game to slot 2
9. Exit to menu
10. Start a new game with new name
11. Save game to slot 3
12. Exit to menu
13. Start a new game with new name
14. Save game to slot 4
15. Exit to menu
16 Load desired game and enjoy.

They will be labeled Game 1, Game 2, Game 3, and Game 4, so you will have to remember which game is which character.

Once you have done this and are reassured that you can save multiple games with different names, you can re-connect to the computer and replace the the files with your backup. You can also save unlimited games this way in case you want to start over without losing what you have already done. I also use this method to put saved games on different devices.

In the next update there will be more save game slots so you can keep them on the device.
Ha Ha, Made you look.
Johan
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by Johan »

I just wish to add that there also is a fifth save slot for the autosave. You cannot access it manually and the autosaving only(*) takes place when you leave the game by backing out to the main menu or when the process is terminated by the OS to free up memory.

This follows the convention used in Android and tries to ensure that you never lose any progress in the game.

(*)Saving might occur at other times that I am unaware of.
kabbie1882

Post by kabbie1882 »

Johan wrote:I just wish to add that there also is a fifth save slot for the autosave. You cannot access it manually and the autosaving only(*) takes place when you leave the game by backing out to the main menu or when the process is terminated by the OS to free up memory.

This follows the convention used in Android and tries to ensure that you never lose any progress in the game.

(*)Saving might occur at other times that I am unaware of.
Yes, but once you start another game/player, that "5th" game slot is over written. The 4 (soon to be more) game slots are only overwritten, when you tell the app to do it.
Ha Ha, Made you look.