Rebalancing the item prices - base market cost

Discussions of the development process of the game.
qasur

Re: Rebalancing the item prices - base market cost

Post by qasur »

I think someone already mentioned that you could simply buy a bunch of weapons, then "drop" them in one spot so the new update wouldn't wipe you. Thus, allowing you to sell them for a lot higher price.
Cervando

Post by Cervando »

The simple answer to prevent stockpiling of goods whose value is due to rise is to keep the resale price at the old value. Then, in the new game, any post patch mob drops and purchased items have the higher purchase AND resale value as well.

As to nerfing the venomous dagger, a huge NO from me. In my opinion, the shop items are too good in comparison with the specials. We need to leave the venomous dagger as it is and improve the drops from other bosses so that there is a genuine reason not to stick to the steel longsword, quickstrike dagger and even bare fists. At the moment, these are all better than the legendary items, let alone boss drops. I find it baffling that later boss drops are worse than items sold by merchants. The stone gargoyle armour is useless for example.

Like I have said before, Flagstone's pride should do the same damage as the steel longsword at least. The RoL should be quicker and do high criticals, as would be expected from a rapier, traditionally a very quick weapon, which whilst doing small injuries, can do severe criticals. Similarly, the ElyR should be much better, more damage than the steel longsword and the buff is nonsensical, as it is the same as adding 5% to AC. Instead allow it too reduce the chance of being affected by a status effect, such as fatigue. Thus, it could have a BC type effect that only worked vs status attacks.

In short, by all means rationalise the cost of the items, but buff legendary and boss drops, not nerf them. They should be better than what the normal shops can sell, unless a special quest is done, as hinted at by the heartsteel one.
Level 40, AP 3, AC 195%, AD 21-22, CC 25%, CM 3, BC 60%, HP 60, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0

OR

Level 40, AP 2, AC 170%, AD 27, CC 0%, CM 0, BC 40%, HP 40, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0
randy
android_version: 2.2

Post by randy »

Oskar,

The changes you have proposed here all look good.

The only problem I could think of is for players who are not aware of the change before they upgrade--they could get caught in bad places. For instance, if someone sided with Prim, but was at Blackwater with only the venomous dagger when they updated. That would be a very rude shock.

As the game manager, I would be more worried about that than someone scamming a few k of gold through buying before the upgrade.

Great game. Keep up the good work.
issac888

Post by issac888 »

randy wrote:Oskar,

The changes you have proposed here all look good.

The only problem I could think of is for players who are not aware of the change before they upgrade--they could get caught in bad places. For instance, if someone sided with Prim, but was at Blackwater with only the venomous dagger when they updated. That would be a very rude shock.

As the game manager, I would be more worried about that than someone scamming a few k of gold through buying before the upgrade.

Great game. Keep up the good work.
the changes are okay oskar, but bonemeal is a shame if the price goes up as it was a task that we complete which makes it cheaper than the major portion, thus i went shopping for more bone meal just to get the advantage, as for people earning a few k, for people in the mid 40 levels money is already not an issue, thus it is not worth to do that
Level: 75, XP:7715779 , Gold: 538730
HP: 80, AC: 159%, AD: 36-40 AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 130%, DR: 0
RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0 rocks 3550,weak poison 272
qasur

Post by qasur »

issac888 wrote:...as for people earning a few k, for people in the mid 40 levels money is already not an issue, thus it is not worth to do that
It *was* worth it though. Remember that this is a game-in-progress. For new players, Bonemeals are a super-cheap alternative to any other potions in the game. They needed to be tweaked. Bonemeals were *so* good, that players don't have to worry about BC at all. Instead, they just get to around 65-75 HP and that's all they need (for the time being).

Saying that level 40's don't have money issues is sorta true, but they do have new quest issues, better challenge issues, and the rest of the game issues -- i.e. they have lots of money because they grinded out more levels than they needed just because there was nothing else to do in the game. I imagine that 0.6.10 will bring a lot of balance to the game that it's been missing. Re-arranged shops, new item costs, Venomous Dagger fix, etc. It'll be *huge*, and the plus of adding in a new Skill system as well.
issac888

Post by issac888 »

qasur wrote:
issac888 wrote:...as for people earning a few k, for people in the mid 40 levels money is already not an issue, thus it is not worth to do that
It *was* worth it though. Remember that this is a game-in-progress. For new players, Bonemeals are a super-cheap alternative to any other potions in the game. They needed to be tweaked. Bonemeals were *so* good, that players don't have to worry about BC at all. Instead, they just get to around 65-75 HP and that's all they need (for the time being).

Saying that level 40's don't have money issues is sorta true, but they do have new quest issues, better challenge issues, and the rest of the game issues -- i.e. they have lots of money because they grinded out more levels than they needed just because there was nothing else to do in the game. I imagine that 0.6.10 will bring a lot of balance to the game that it's been missing. Re-arranged shops, new item costs, Venomous Dagger fix, etc. It'll be *huge*, and the plus of adding in a new Skill system as well.
qasur
i see, so we must then go shopping for bone meal then before the price rise, beat the inflation! as for the others, not keen to earn a few gold at all, no point, that is not the intention at all, rather want to spend time to get the infamous items
Level: 75, XP:7715779 , Gold: 538730
HP: 80, AC: 159%, AD: 36-40 AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 130%, DR: 0
RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0 rocks 3550,weak poison 272
test1
android_version: 2.2

Post by test1 »

I have been playing RPG’s for over 20 years and if there is one thing I have learned is, that the choices one makes within a game ultimately decide the outcome of the game. RPGs that are linear, where you can only follow a predetermined story line without having to make choices are boring, all games end the same. To reward those “who didn’t know” only seems to rewards those who are unable to live with the consequence of their action by introducing the possibility to regain the “sold item”. It should remain as is!
As far as amount of gold coins, what does it matter how many a player accumulates if there is nothing within the game that warrants the accumulation of a huge amount other than to satisfy their own vanity. I don’t consider the sum of coins a measure of success or failure. So, who cares if they want to waste their time buying and selling items from one version of the game to another. I’d rather be out there questing and adding to my exp points. Again, choices determine the music of the game. Let the merchant/trader mentally among the players have their kicks!
I also would like to say, in the case of “I didn’t know”, how about clearly and lengthy explanations of consequences about quest decisions before I make them?

BTW, if the coding allows a player to do something in the game, it should not be considered cheating. Just a bit of “wisdom” from an old RPG pro.

I like the venomous dagger as is, I earned it and I build my stats around it. Why should my choices be “punished”? Maybe some better stats need to be introduced on new weapons one can gain throughout the progress of the game. Or introduce some monsters with stats that counteract or where those stats have a negative effect like a guaranteed “revenge strike” on a critical hit.
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

I will be very sorry to see my venomous dagger downgraded, but I guess it is overpowered. I'll either buy the new version or switch to something else.
Oskar said that the major and minor potions of health and meat would not be removed by the change of versions, but what about the regular potions of health and the bonemeal potions? Those were not mentioned, and if the bonemeal price is to be raised, even if not to the value given by the new formula, it would seem that they might be removed. Should I sell most of my 1100 bonemeal potions?
I think I will sell the 100 of each of the gem types that I carry, since they are becoming worthless in the new version. Then I will collect them again in the new version. I do not consider that cheating, does anybody else?
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF