Worldmap

Discussions of the development process of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Worldmap

Post by oskarwiksten »

For v0.6.11 I would like to add a worldmap to the game. My personal preference about what would look best is a conceptual map with representations of roads, forests and cities that looks like it could have been painted in the game world. Something like this.

What's your opinion? Also see the previous discussions we've had about a worldmap.

Now, to make this happen, we would need the actual image that is the worldmap. Do we have anyone on the forums that is skilled in the use of GIMP (or similar image handling program), that would like to help create the actual worldmap?

I have started a rough sketch of what I would like the map to look like, see below. The file that I have started can be found here, which also contains layers of the roads, mountains and forests that we should add.
andorstrail_artistic_worldmap.png
Looking forward to seeing a worldmap in v0.6.11!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Oskar
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Worldmap

Post by sdevaney »

Your example from LotR gives a 403 error.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome

Post by oskarwiksten »

sdevaney wrote:Your example from LotR gives a 403 error.
Really? Hm, odd. Thanks for noticing it Scott!

Here's another link to the same image: http://www.wallpapervortex.com/wallpape ... h_map.html
/Oskar
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

I am trying to put together a ruff drawing of a world map using the old world map posted a while back before v0.6.9 came out.

The only problem is that i need to come down off the mountain to sketch in the newest trails in the game. I was thinking of taking a swing at designing some more of the maps from vileguard going east twords Nor City. Pretty basic roads, but i have a few cool ideas for a laberanth we could squeese into a dungon somewhere eventually.

I will post my World Map sketches when i can.

Plz let me know if you want help with anything else. I started reading the Map amaking tutorial but i can't play around on it until i get home because i can't download things onto my work computer. (tomorrow i may bring my tablet to work with me)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Should we add prim and BWM to the map or are they considered as a dungeon?
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Samuel wrote:Should we add prim and BWM to the map or are they considered as a dungeon?

IMO Primm seems to be outdoors so would need to be on the world map but the Blackwater Settlement seems to be underground and could be left off the map.

The map that i was graphing out seemed to be a combination of indoor and outdoor screens. So I wasnt sure what to do with BWS so i just started from the hallway leaving the settlement leading back down the mountain to the abandoned cabin. I am gonna be wondering back down the map and sketching things as i go and just show any and all main map areas consittering that the BWM path goes in and out of caves along the way.

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

I planned BWM as a huge dungeon (that is why oskar didn't put any quests there according to the main andor-questline.

So you don't have to mark the two settlements at the map, just draw a bigass mountain with a snowy top named Blackwater Mountain ;)
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

very exciting...
to say the least!

i love seeing how this game is coming together
i feel like im all behind-the-scenes... :D

you have revived the old school RPG in my eyes,
THANK YOU & way to go!
Pyrizzle wrote: (tomorrow i may bring my tablet to work with me)
thats AWESOME! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
theGleep
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by theGleep »

I have gone to the trouble of building a worldmap - you can find it at http://thegleep.com/images/3/3b/WorldMap.gif

Other maps can be found at http://thegleep.com/index.php?title=And ... %27s_Trail

If you look closely, you'll see there are some issues with the map - I could use some advice on how tille blocks (what are they called? Regions? Blocks? Maps?) fit together. Sometimes they seem to line up, sometimes they seem to overlap.

Oskar? Please send an email? theGleep - at - bigfoot - dot - com

Thanks!
mirajp1

Post by mirajp1 »

theGleep wrote:I have gone to the trouble of building a worldmap - you can find it at http://thegleep.com/images/3/3b/WorldMap.gif

Other maps can be found at http://thegleep.com/index.php?title=And ... %27s_Trail

If you look closely, you'll see there are some issues with the map - I could use some advice on how tille blocks (what are they called? Regions? Blocks? Maps?) fit together. Sometimes they seem to line up, sometimes they seem to overlap.

Oskar? Please send an email? theGleep - at - bigfoot - dot - com

Thanks!
thats awesome work too
Logic:
Lvl: 38, XP: 1006224, Gold: 69410, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, GoLF: 1, ChaR: 0, SHAF: 0
HP: 83, AC: 219%, AD: 24-30, AP: 3, BC: 55%, DR: -1, CC: 22%, CM: 3
Restore HP/Kill: 2

currently affected by rotworm :D