v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Voices

Discussions of the development process of the game.
kabbie1882

Re: Voices

Post by kabbie1882 »

There have been 2 post removed from this thread. Next time I will BAN the user for a length of time. Last warning.
Ha Ha, Made you look.
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

There have been other discussions about sound of various kinds, and some players say that they prefer silence because they play during meetings at work. Personally, I think someone playing a game on their phone looks like they are playing a game, not like they are taking notes or checking data or something work-related, but obviously they do not want the game telling people they are playing a game. I would find music very distracting, and if we are talking about the conversations of the quests being audible rather than just printed, how would that work with the translations into French, Italian and German that people have been doing? What is a "cutscene"? I am not in favor of sound of any kind in Andor's Trail.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
test1
android_version: 2.2

Post by test1 »

Since Andor’s Trail is a RPG, I would prefer that more quests and maps rather than huge music files (which I would turn off anyway) stretching the limits of my processor. If I am in the mood for music, well, I got an app for that :idea:
LVL: 91
XP: 13,866,284
HP: 98
AC: 268%
AD: 34-41
AP: 4
CC: 36%
CM: 3.0
BC: 172%
DR: 4
RoLS: 2
ElyR: 1
RoL: 0
ChaR: 2
GoLF: 1
ShaF: 1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

test1 wrote:Since Andor’s Trail is a RPG, I would prefer that more quests and maps rather than huge music files (which I would turn off anyway) stretching the limits of my processor. If I am in the mood for music, well, I got an app for that :idea:
+1
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

test1 wrote:Since Andor’s Trail is a RPG, I would prefer that more quests and maps rather than huge music files (which I would turn off anyway) stretching the limits of my processor. If I am in the mood for music, well, I got an app for that :idea:
That's what Pandora is for. :)

+2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

Totally agree with posts about sound/voices not being required. I don't think it would add to the game. There is so much potential for this game to be huge. Love the idea of skills. More areas to explore, harder monsters, difficult quests are what we need and thats where the game is going. Of course I understand players might want soundtracks and voices but there are plenty of games on consoles and PC that offer that.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

nezkeys79,

I myself had an interest in having some action triggered sound effects, possibly theme music for foreshadowing, combat, or even associated with specific achievements. However limited music or sound might be applied to the game for enhancing the mood for some players, still would create a widespread burden to allow for its inclusion. Just some of the many variables would be; the additional lines of code Oskar would have to write and rewrite for its addition, the dramatic file size increase for both download and installation, and (skipping ahead here to avoid an extremely long paragraph) of greatest significance of all to your average player, the impact on battery consumption.

The battery isn't just going to experience additional drain from sending juice to the speaker(s), it's also going to be running down in an accelerated state from prefetching code to send to memory to be processed by the device's processor while additionally running formerly excluded software, the media player.

One of Andor's Trail's many attributes is the highly appreciated fact that in its current form, consumes a surprisingly modest amount of battery resources. No disrespect intended towards any owners of a fairly recent HTC manufactured device, but in all honesty, their weakest link is battery life.

In regard to kabbie1882's posts, it just simply has to be understood and respected that he is a forum moderator with the responsibility of illustrating the decorum of the forum.

I would like to suggest a type of compromise here. I am not fluent in any of the many programming languages widely in use today, but I have enough experience to know the time it takes for a midi file to be created from a keyboard fails to compare with the amount of time needed for code compiling, associating, and testing for device compatibility/impact. I mean no hurtful intent in my attempt to offer an alternative perception. My compromise/suggestion is this; contact Oskar directly with an offer to create a theme for Andor's Trail. It could play at the beginning of game play, as well as the end, where upon game completion the credits may very well scroll. This would place very little additional demand on the hardware, software, and overall battery consumption. It's also a good idea as it would promote brand recognition, as they might say in the world of marketing. Who here among us, that has played The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, has forgotten its title theme? :)
One of even fewer...
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

lady black wrote:There have been other discussions about sound of various kinds, and some players say that they prefer silence because they play during meetings at work. Personally, I think someone playing a game on their phone looks like they are playing a game, not like they are taking notes or checking data or something work-related, but obviously they do not want the game telling people they are playing a game. I would find music very distracting, and if we are talking about the conversations of the quests being audible rather than just printed, how would that work with the translations into French, Italian and German that people have been doing? What is a "cutscene"? I am not in favor of sound of any kind in Andor's Trail.
As one of the people who plays this game at work, I agree that playing during a meeting would be too obvious, and my current manager even took away a co-workers phone during a meeting after catching him playing tetris. But I usually play during work at my desk, when there's not much to do, or I'm about to go into a meeting, or leave for lunch or its the end of the day and there's not really time to start working on anything, so I use those few minutes to play a little Andor. If someone walked by, and I didn't hide it, they would probably notice, but if there was sound they would notice more easily.

As long as there's an option to disable it, I'm not against having sound in the game, but I wouldn't have it on, and I agree with others that the time to add it is better spent on adding levels, maps, new ideas like the skill system or the item price rebalance etc.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
ScorpionZ

Post by ScorpionZ »

In the event that Oskar decides to add any sort of noise/music/vocal/etc, I have a recommendation.

A recent game addition to my phone is the game Montezuma 2. It is a fairly advanced "three in a row" game. When I start the game, I get a popup that states, "Would you like to enable silent mode?" with a Yes/No button. I have noticed a similar feature in several other games. I normally have my phone only on vibrate with all volume levels off. Some games ask if they can unmute my phone so the game can have volume for game play.

If a feature is added that affects the volume of the game, I propose a similar feature that mutes everything for those of us who fight boredom in the office Andor style 8-) .
Level: 49
XP: 2108290
Attack Cost: 3
Attack Chance: 166%
Attack Damage: 22-23
Critical Hit Chance: 25%
Critical Multiplier: 3
Block Chance: 92%
RoLS: 1
SR: 2945