v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Coding in business school

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Coding in business school

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:I like it. I wish I had your ability for coding. I go to business school and will most likely learn only a very limited amount. I attempted mapmaking and completed several area blocks, they were awesome, but my brother started deleting unnecessary programs and defragging the computer and deleted everything, even Tiled! After that I was just angry and never attempted again.

Anyway, you could do far more than I could...for now. Keep it up.
I'm in business school too!

I learned coding on my own and decided to keep it as a hobby instead of majoring in it (long story).
ideas plox
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Github Fork: Attacked Monsters Follow Player when he Flees, Mons Flee when low HP, Basic Ranged Attacks Support

Post by Voom »

twirlimp wrote:

I learned coding on my own and decided to keep it as a hobby instead of majoring in it (long story).
Oh great, but how did you learn to code? Which language? Where? I used code academy to learn HTML & CSS, but is for web design... not to get off topic.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Re: Github Fork: Attacked Monsters Follow Player when he Flees, Mons Flee when low HP, Basic Ranged Attacks Support

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:
twirlimp wrote:

Oh great, but how did you learn to code? Which language? Where? I used code academy to learn HTML & CSS, but is for web design... not to get off topic.
Originally I tried with C++ but it was just too irritating for a beginner.

So I stopped when I reached the chapter about pointers.
It's really a bad language to work with when starting out.

Then I learnt Python and that's when everything just clicked.

Then I learnt Java (because I had to in my first CompSci semester before I transferred) and discovered that it doesn't have all the really irritating things in C.
ideas plox
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: Coding in business school

Post by Zukero »

Understanding how pointers work is rather important whichever language you use, especially Java. Mastering them for use in C/C++ is another matter though ;)
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Ok. For instance, what language would be good in the case for coding AT script? I assume Java, right? My brother is learning Python and he manages...
Voom
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

There's no scripting per se in AT (yet ?). You either code in java, or use the dialogue system, which is already used for some form of scripting in the game. It is in essence a very simple condition/transition/reward system.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:Understanding how pointers work is rather important whichever language you use, especially Java. Mastering them for use in C/C++ is another matter though ;)
Oh since then I've had plenty of work with C :p

I'm just fond of garbage collection, that's all.
Manual de allocation is only necessary in, like, dwarf fortress, crysis, and nasa simulations.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:Ok. For instance, what language would be good in the case for coding AT script? I assume Java, right? My brother is learning Python and he manages...
If he's still learning then he has mistakes he needs to learn and get used to.

Java is not more difficult than Python tbh. Actually not even c is hard, it's just too nit-picky.

Why just today I had a null pointer exception.
(If weapon in hand slot has ID of a bow.... Oops theres no weapon in that slot!)
ideas plox
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Here's my two cents worth. Over the years I have written code in more than 10 languages, and with the exception of one (C) I didn't choose any of them. I either had them forced upon me by some professor (Fortran: a horrible langauge), or learned them because I inherited legacy code (Algol, and some Pascal), learned them because they were used for scripting in some piece of software (more versions of Basic than I care to think about, Python), or for some other reason. So if you want to learn a programming language, the first thing you have to decide is what you want to do with it. If you want to write code for embedded processors, learn C (which is very different to C++). If you want to do numerical computing, Python is a good choice. If you want to write an app for Windows use one of the .NET languages (I would personally recommend C#; I've not written a lot in it, but it's a good language). If you want to write an app for Android, learn Java (which I have never written even one line of code in!).

It's not that different to choosing a spoken language to learn. Spanish may be a lot easier to learn than Chinese, but it won't do you much good if you are going to live in China ;)
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Python it is. Thanks. That was really helpful. I'm definitely more numerically minded, but if I wanted to code for an Android app, I'll learn Java, just like you said. I will if I have to.
Voom