v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Factions

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
fDroid
android_version: 7.0

Factions

Post by fDroid »

I heard there are going to be faction mechanics and I wanted to encourage that, because I love politics. I think alot about factions in real life. Mostly I just love to hate politics, but politics would have so much potential if it wasn't for all the politicians in it. So, anyway, here's my thread to get people thinking about factions. I have to start off in a very general sort of way, because I've only played Andor's Trail v. 0.7.1 from 2014, so, I need an update on how the factions have developed in the game (and someone needs to update the app on fDroid.org, because all liberty-loving people should avoid Google like the gestapo plague from hell that it is). Anyway...

I love factions. ...but I hate people. ...but sometimes it's the opposite. Factions would be great if not for the people in them, but sometimes people would be great if not for the factions misguiding them. I love the idea of factions in theory, but in practice they are full of idiots screwing up perfectly good ideas which sound great on paper. We can't have better groups until we have better individuals. [I am an individualist and you should be too. Individualists unite! (Ironic, isn't it?)] That's why I am anti-faction, because I'm pro-faction. You might think that's contradictory, but it's not, it's Orwellian political double-speak. There are too many wolves in sheep's clothing leading sheeple to the slaughter and turning suicidal lemmings into homicidal wolves. So I infiltrate factions and bend them to my will, altruistically. I am often willing to work with any individual from any faction if they have a few good ideas. I am any faction or no faction, whichever mask I want to wear.

What faction would that be? Is there a faction for that? From the old version of the game, I would say it's a cross between Shadow and Darkwater.
I expected to find a place to share a love of a game, but found political oppression for daring to mention tyranny & genocide. 450k die per day, but no one cares, because the world is addicted to grinding.

The Troll of Rhino Bridge, Lvl52, 2.4mil
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Factions

Post by rijackson741 »

Since this post has very little to do with the game, and is mostly political babble, I moved it to the Fallhaven tavern.

I thought about just deleting it.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Faction mechanics? I don't think we are on the same page, fDroid. Political babble indeed.
Voom
Crazyj1981
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Crazyj1981 »

You talking about Feyguard and the Shadow, Droid? Or is it some political non sense.......lay off the kool aid partner
LV-72 EXP-6806269 HP-222 AC-232% BC-175% DR-13 AD-38-49,,,BS-5 CS-2 IF-5 EG-1 OHSP-1 THSP-1 SHP-2 LAP-1 FS,WS-2 MF2.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

lol.. there might be faction based decisions and quests in future updates but I am not sure. and, it looks like you expect too much from politicians, although they play a major part in our progress, still, they are humans and they prioritize themselves, their families and their religious propaganda over other people.

Also, your name looks like the name of a robot and "thinking robots" are supposed to hate humans, so your post is quite funny :lol:
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
fDroid

Post by fDroid »

Faction mechanics were mentioned in the update. Didn't you read it? ...but nobody was talking about them, and factions are nothing but politics, so of course any discussion of factions is going to be political, I talked about how The Shadow defends the people's liberty against Feygard's tyrannical police state and Blackwater uses spies to infiltrate their opposition, but I didn't even mention how US police kill 1,000+ people a year (http://KilledByPolice.Net), so are you going so say everyone talking about the in game struggle for liberty against the police state is talking political babble and is not related to the game? I was asking for clarification on the story line and how the in game factions are aligned. How can anyone think elaboration on in game factions is not related to the game? Faction mechanics were mentioned and I wanted to see a discussion about factions, so I started a thread on it. Are you saying you want to veto faction alignment mechanics and delete them from the update? ...because you people sure don't want have a polite discussion about them.
I expected to find a place to share a love of a game, but found political oppression for daring to mention tyranny & genocide. 450k die per day, but no one cares, because the world is addicted to grinding.

rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

You premised the first paragraph with "I think a lot about factions in real life." How does that set the tone that it's about the game, rather than your political leanings "in real life"? Especially given your signature, which I note you have not changed, despite a request to do so.

You premise the second paragraph with "I love factions. ...but I hate people." Way to go, given the first paragraph and your signature!

If you want to come across as less overtly political, think more about what you write.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
fDroid

Post by fDroid »

When it comes to me, you seem to have an extremely broad view of what constitutes "politics", but in case you haven't noticed, people play the game based on "political" preferences in real life.

People with "political" positions play games.
But in Soviet Russia, game plays you?
No personal politics allowed in decision-making?

I notice there was a thread on people playing "Gandhi", pacifists I presume. Have you given them a warning for being "political"? It's hard to be more political than Gandhi.

rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

A lot of how your post came across was because of your signature. Which you have now changed. Thank you.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

@fDroid
When I meant your post looked like a spam, it is because it did *look* like one: wall of text, with links, a generic topic name that could have been scrapped from the existing posts by a spambot, and more links in the signature. Reading the words proved you weren't a spambot. End of story.

Political opinions can be expressed here, as long as the forum rules are respected. The section called "The Fallhaven Tavern" is dedicated to off-topic discussion, and political discourse has happened there a few times. Freedom of speech is important, and yours will be respected within the frame of what we deem acceptable for every member of this community.

I personaly believe (and I think the dev team members will agree with me) that when I write posts on this forum, I do so as the lead developer of Andor's Trail, and as such, it would be highly inappropriate to use this position to shove *my* political opinions down anyone's throat. When I want to express on political matters, I do so on other, relevant media, using another persona. I am proud that the Andor's Trail community is a welcoming, inclusive, and open-minded one.
There is one exception to this, which I believe I am allowed because it is closely tied to the Andor's Trail project: Free (as in speech) Software. I sometimes guide people to posts by Richard Stallman on the FSF's website, and try to recommend only Free Software, even when the proprietary alternative has more features (Amaze file manager for android instead of ES File Explorer, Eclipse for code editing instead of Android Studio...). I also refuse to integrate the Google Play Services (or anything similar) into Andor's Trail for the same reasons (even though a cloud save system is often asked).

The corollary to that is that not only will I do all I can to support the F-Droid.org staff to keep AT updated there, but we also host our APK here, on our servers, for people to be able to sideload it without any "App store".

As for being the "Lead Deviloper from hell", if you carefully read all the posts where I write to you, you will find no request to either stopping political discussion, or to change your opinions, or even your posts (although I am glad and thankful that you did). Expressing one's view (or refusing to) is very different from censorship or proselytizing.

All in all, thanks for the edits you made, I hope I clarified the situation for the better, and welcome to the forums!
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2