v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Playing the game at level 5

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Playing the game at level 5

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

Mad P you mentioned siding with Prim to get the Ring of Shadow embrace. That would nearly double your HP. IMO its a great drop and comparable with +6 ring of damage. The HP increase is excellent as is 10% AC bonus.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mad P »

The wyrms the wyrms...
Out in the cold...my feet are nearly frozen if it weren't for my reinforced boots.
Funny snowmen, they're no danger. It's the wyrms the wyrms the wyrms that I fear...

Hiding, running, dodging, falling, creeping, see no hear no speak no evil
Footprints in the snow are all the wyrms will ever see of me
I'm a shadow I'm a shade Every wyrm is just too late

And I'm up!
The ice and snow are beneath and I can see the green valleys below.
I step into the chapel and...

Four grinning skeletons turn their hollow eyes towards me. I make for the exit but the path is blocked. I try to deflect the blows but the trainer simply cuts through my defenses. His last blow is so ferocious I fall out of the chapel onto the stairs and tumble down, faster and faster, tumbling until I loose consciousness somewhere in front of the empty cabin I rested in earlier.

OK, that's one death against a trainer. Two more tries to go.

Strange thing is, although this was an experience I will not soon forget, the game actually thinks our hero should loose one third of his experience?!
I have never understood the logic of RPG's in this matter. And why would killing the umpteenth snake yield any experience, where sneaking past a big fearful wyrm does not?
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

And you must have a lot experience to lose, since you have not leveled up from five. Is loading from a save down in Prim or at the cabin legal by your rules, to avoid the loss of experience? I know you do not save and reload to avoid a death while fighting. I think you got a concussion during the fight, is why you lost experience. Be glad that you wake up at all, and do not have to start over with a whole new character.
Good luck in your continuing attempt to kill these monsters, brave little level five!
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

I needed luck to get past the wyrms
I needed meat to heal up - even I my health just dropped to 21
I needed favorable statistics to work my way into the chapel and further
I needed more meat as it was going fast
(started with 200, now there's only 20 left...)

Finally, the suspicious agent was there again.
Finally, I entered the cave town of Blackwater.
Finally, I was able to talk to Harlenn, listening to the same story I heard in Prim and telling the guy I was not buying it this time.
Private Mission 6, talking to Harlenn: completed! :o
First ever level fiver to do so, I believe! 8-)

He dismissed me, and I found some tunnel that lead to the empty cabin. Only to found my way blocked by a gate
Fortunately, there was a way to pass through it.
I read about it in another topic, wheresomeone named dirtydingo mentioned the method of quick travelling when experience doesn't matter: just die.
With only 20 meat left, I would not have been able to work through the trainers otherwise. So for a fee of 23451 experience, the ghost-thing allowed me to enter the cabin. I think I should ready myself for the strong gornauds again...
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

@lady black: thanks, I think I need your luck more than I need my meat - there's a good change I may get stuck up here in the cabin forever if the dicerolls fail.

There is only one situation where I will allow myself to reload, and even with that situation I'm not feeling very comfortable, it feels like cheating a little bit - making the experiment less worthful. I'll allow myself a reload if I feel my strategy is all wrong: replacing the maximum hits-per-round (quickstrike and fallhaven jewel) strategy with the maximum absorption (jinxed ring, irugotu's nacklace, hardened leather shirt) strategy.

I do not reload to prevent/circumvent xp loss. After the deaths against the radiating demon, the wyrm trainer and the ghost thing my current xp is 48554 where it could have been somewhere around 120k. That's not a very big deal, as I play for the fun and challenge of this experiment now!
pelligrini

Post by pelligrini »

Mad P wrote:Strange thing is, although this was an experience I will not soon forget, the game actually thinks our hero should loose one third of his experience?!
I have never understood the logic of RPG's in this matter. And why would killing the umpteenth snake yield any experience, where sneaking past a big fearful wyrm does not?
Good read, I've been enjoying it.

At least it's just experience you loose. In the early Wizardry games you could loose a Character. First you're dead, then ashed after a failed resurrection, if the resurrection failed again the ashed character was lost. I remember loosing a really high level Lord after countless hours of development. That was the first and only time I took my frustration out on a game controller...
Lvl: 95, XP: 15472157, Gold: 741302, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 1 , RoL 1, ChaR 4, GoLF 1, ShaF 1, SRoV 2, VSH 1
HP: 136, AC: 278%, AD: 42-46, AP: 3, CS: 76 CM: 5.25, CC:33%, BC: 130%, DR: 1, UPD: 2012/7/18
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

Loosing a character is also a big danger in this game - my first prebuild-level-5 hero permanently died somewhere back in August; My thumb proved too thick when saving another game... :cry:

With the new version coming soon I need to hurry up my story. It was meant to pass the time waiting for the new release and that moment shouldn't be too long. I'm really looking forward to the new maps and skills - with my main character, that is. My level 5 hero will receive the stunning amount of 1: ONE! skillpoint to go with for the rest of the game. I'm already wondering where to put it in, extra AC, AP or some evading/dodging skill? Mind?
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

Downwards, off this frozen mountain. Away from the creepies to the green valleys below!
I closed the door from the old cabin, skated past most of the young and hatchling wyrms on the remaining icefield and stood in a U shaped tunnel that smelled damp, rotting earth and mud and something...strange?

The smell came alive and something hissed in the dark. Enormous hands seized my ankles and I was crushed to the wall. The strong Gornaud thought I was dead and turned away. After a while I silently crept back to the cabin, to recover.
My XP is making more progress in going down than I do, I fear...
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

What a fool I am! I had put on the fallhaven amulet to compensate for the wyrms' fatigue. I forgot to switch it again when I was going down.
That was an unpleasant lesson, this death could have been prevented if I had not rushed down and had been giving my strategy a little more consideration.
Off goes the amulet, on with Irugotu's necklace.

Going down again.
Same spot same monster. I want revenge and when the strong Gornaud is reduced to only 8 HP I used my second attack to finish him off.
At least, that was what should have happened. But fate is not on my side this day. Normally, to survive this challenge, I keep myself to my strict rules: eating when below 21 HP, no matter the odds. Well, anyway, I missed. Now the roles where turned and the Gornaud had a chance to finish ME off, albeit a small one.

I still don't know how he did it (my combat speed prefs are "instant"), but indeed very instantanious I found myself back in the same cabin again. This really wasn't my lucky day :roll:

That's two deaths against the Strong Gornaud.
One more and I'm out.

Stupid me, jeopardizing my whole challenge in two subsequent acts of stupidity!
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

Be careful! We are all cheering you on! You can do it!
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF