v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Playing the game at level 5

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Playing the game at level 5

Post by Mad P »

I finished prebuilding a new character to play the new release. I kept the character at level 5 to try the new skill fortitude from the earliest moment possible. But then I got the idea to try how far a level 5 could go in this 1.6.9. world. I'll share the story with you all, if you like it

The quest is not finished yet, but this is the increased difficulty order I'll try till I can't go further:
1) Bonemeal quest
2) Luthor's key
3) Make friends in Vilegard
4) Flagstone
5) Sleep in Prim
6) Get to Blackwater
7) Finish Blackwater or Prim quest

These are my level 5 stats: AC: 106%, AD: 19-23, AP: 4, BC: 14%, DR: 2, HP: 25
Mad P

Re: Playing the game at level 5

Post by Mad P »

While prebuilding, I took the following steps:
First, the quests on the first map (Mikhail, lazy husband, insect wings -> gained first level (+1AD) and bought the superior iron dagger. Second, running in circles through the maps east, southeast and south from Crossglen, only killing the small dogs and green snakes -> meat = money! About 30 meat is needed for the steel sword, another 40 for the hardened leather shirt: the little critters don't stand a change anymore. A little more, 120 meat, for the damage+6 rings. Add some swift attack gloves, fine leather cap and reinforced boots and the little kid, already level 5 (another 3 AD plus 5% AC), can take on Irugotu.
With the basic equipment, I thought it would be a good idea if I could change tactics. So I went shopping in the snake caves for a long time. Some meat supplies I kept to eat later, but most of it I sold to buy the jewel and the quickstrike (both not equiped yet).

Next post will be about the first quests
Last edited by Mad P on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

A level 5 kid, overconfident from slaying not-too-bright snakes, finds some deserted house.
Deserted? Not really. The place outside is crawling with foxes, ghosts and more so there's no evading danger.
Fortunately, a few hits generally finish off any monster so far.

Then his fate turns as the kid is sandwiched between 2 foxes, barely escaping with 5 HP left. :o

But strangely, this turned out to be the most awkward moment. Going through the catacombs was a walkover, getting 5 bones also.
The combination of high attack damage and be able to hit first (most of the times) is good enough for now. For the few still standing and hitting back there is the 2 damage resistance: most low level monsters hardly hit above 3's.
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

IIRC, King Luthor was rated easy...
So the second quest also went very nice. Still it is strange to see the experience slider with ten times more xp than needed and not levelling up.

I also begin to think I can have too much power even at level 5. The attack damage (19-23) is enormous, no monster comes even close.
In the beginning I thought maybe Vilegard would be just possible, with the rincel quest in de bug cave. Now I think I may even challenge Flagstone. :D
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

As he didn't need xp or gold anymore, he evaded the animals on the roads to Vilegard.
The bonemeals delivered and the guard fooled, there was only the quest of finding Rincel that remained.
The little kid knew where to look, but his path was blocked by an anklebiter.

The beast bit more out of my little hero than just his ankles, but luckily he survived. But it was close.
The problem I'm having with these kind of monsters is not my low level, but the choices I made when levelling up.
I chose AD and AC, for prebuilding purposeses, but for this challenge some HP would have been better.
Now, when HP drop below 18 I have to spend one of my attacks to heal up - otherwise the next round could see me finished.
But spending half my attacks on eating means not finishing the fight quickly and going through my meat-supply very fast.

Fortunately, beside anklebiters the kid didn't encounter other dangerous animals. Vilegard suddenly contains trusted friends all over!
Mad P

Post by Mad P »

Ah, the fabled prison of Flagstone.
The undead hordes crumbled with laughter when they saw babyface walk in. Then crumbled again when the steel sword hit the bone.

So far so good, but then there was that radiating demon that would be able to kill me in 1 round thanks to my low HP.
My rule for this challenge is that it's ok to die, as it is part of the game, but three deaths in a row against the same monster would mean failure to accomplish this quest. So I had to count on statistics this time.

Then I died.
Since I had been sandwiched between two small doggies and the bigger one in the early part of my meat gathering, I had not died. So to suddenly stand beside my own bed came as a shock (how come there's just one bed for me, Andor and Mikhail? Do we sleep in turns or is it just very eh..cosy at night??).
Walking all the way back and fighting myself in again, I once again stood before the demon.

I told the guy to behave and die like a good demon, which he did.
The respawning monsters were no problem really (as long as I hit the bone champions first), but there was still the boss demon to go.
He turned out weaker than the other and fell to my blade.

So, Flagstone can be done at level 5.
I am amazed that it was possible and, besides the radiation demon who fortunately was a worthy opponent, not even very difficult...
nezkeys79
android_version: 2.2

Post by nezkeys79 »

What a crock of shi@. I'm level 11 with similar equips and stats but double your hp and I die regularly
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

An enjoyable story anyway. Sounds far more fun than being stuck for two weeks in the Kazaul shrine grinding for the RoL.
Kinda wish I'd stayed up the mountain. I've left a trail of rocks in the hope of an easy exit (hopefully clutching a shiny new Rapier of Lifesteal).
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Plese continue your story Mad P.
Your skill of storytelling is awesome. It is nice to read your post.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
test1
android_version: 2.2

Post by test1 »

Yes, please continue to narrate the odyssey of your lvl 5 hero. I so much enjoy the tranquility of your style, seasoned with a dash of humor. ;)
LVL: 91
XP: 13,866,284
HP: 98
AC: 268%
AD: 34-41
AP: 4
CC: 36%
CM: 3.0
BC: 172%
DR: 4
RoLS: 2
ElyR: 1