v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Ideas for the "Help Menu" (Game Instructions)

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Ideas for the "Help Menu" (Game Instructions)

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Having quite a bit more information in the "help" section in "about/help" just off the main screen would be great! Come to think of it, I think that the "help" section should be directly on the main screen, maybe called "In-game Help", "Game Instructions", or something similar.

Some things also need a bit of a change in the "help" section. For instance, Each section in "The Hero" needs to be listed with a thorough explanation. For instance, Each line and abbreviation under Overview needs to be explained in more depth, giving the name on the line, the abbreviation, and an explanation as to what each line means to your character and how each line works (ie. AD=Attack Damage: How much damage your hero does before CHS, CM,
ECC, and your opponent's BC and DR). Of course, the other abbreviations will be explained as well to avoid confusion and clarify (as they could look up any abbreviation and know what it means). Or, you could just have each word typed out with abbreviations in parentheses. ;)

Also needed in the "Game Instructions" is something talking about Skills. (ie. Every four levels, starting with level four, you gain a "skill point". These skill points may be spent right away or saved untill you decide what to do with them. Some skills may only be bought at certain levels or when you reach specific prerequisites. Each skill has ranks, the number of skill points you spend in that skill, and some skills have rank limitations.)

Something else that also should be included is the fact that equipment can be of different rarities, listing each rarity and why that rarity of equipment is listed as such.

You get the idea. We should not assume that everyone will come to the forum, post, read, and ask questions. The "Game Instructions" section would be the perfect opportunity to help new players get an idea of how to play the game. It would be the app version of the game manuals that come with PC and Console games and give the game a more professional feel for those starting out. It would also alleviate much confusion, like I felt when I started (and I've been gaming since Pong, lol). :lol:

DARKSAVANT13

*edit* Decided to add things others suggest...
lady black wrote:One thing that should be included is that when the character button turns yellow, it means you can level up.
Last edited by DarkSavant13 on Fri May 25, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Ideas for the "Help Menu" (Game Instructions)

Post by sdevaney »

Some good ideas here.

The start of this is in v0.6.11

sdevaney
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Great Ideas! If you have any other ideas of what should be added please post em.

This has been something I have been wanting to see added to the game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

+1 some nice ideas here
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

One thing that should be included is that when the character button turns yellow, it means you can level up. It took me a long time to figure that out. :roll: At least once, I died and lost the yellow glow before I realized what it was. I did not even notice the yellow the first few level-ups, much less connect it with my experience points. (With the progress bar now in the game, I guess this is less important.)
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Antison

Post by Antison »

lady black wrote:One thing that should be included is that when the character button turns yellow, it means you can level up. It took me a long time to figure that out. :roll: At least once, I died and lost the yellow glow before I realized what it was. I did not even notice the yellow the first few level-ups, much less connect it with my experience points. (With the progress bar now in the game, I guess this is less important.)
I didn't know that it meant it was time to level-up until I had enough points level-up three times. :D
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

I feel less stupid now. I thought I was the only one! I watched my experience points more closely than you, so I never got multiple levels at once. Thanks for sharing that!
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Antison

Post by Antison »

I was more focused on figuring out why the rats kept coming back. I didn't know about spawning back then as I played for three months before ever looking at the forum.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

DarkSavant13 wrote:Having quite a bit more information in the "help" section in "about/help" just off the main screen would be great! Come to think of it, I think that the "help" section should be directly on the main screen, maybe called "In-game Help", "Game Instructions", or something similar.

[...]

You get the idea. We should not assume that everyone will come to the forum, post, read, and ask questions. The "Game Instructions" section would be the perfect opportunity to help new players get an idea of how to play the game. It would be the app version of the game manuals that come with PC and Console games and give the game a more professional feel for those starting out. It would also alleviate much confusion, like I felt when I started (and I've been gaming since Pong, lol). :lol:
+1

great suggestions here

i hadn't really given much thought to the next step in the process of developing "Instructions"
this really gets the mind working in the right direction.

nice post!

8-)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]