v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Critical hits

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Critical hits

Post by Wyrmspawn »

Just saw a lot of stuff about critical hits being balanced out too much, and that it's now useless. I must say that I agree with some of you, as I stopped using my critical build after the version 0.6.11. Instead of making critical hits ineffective against a lot of monsters, and lower the chance of a critical hit happening, why don't we just do this instead?

When I first started the game with a critical build, I was surprised to find that although I only had 5 attack damage, I was able to land damaging hits on a hardshell beetle with the assistance of the venomous dagger (from before it was balanced out). I had always thought that with damage resistance, the damage critical hits would do would have to go through the following process: (your normal attack damage - enemy's damage resistance) * your critical multiplier. Instead, it was something like this: your normal attack damage* your critical multiplier - enemy's damage resistance.

If you think of this, it doesn't really make sense. If the enemy has a lot of fat and tough skin, I cannot send my dagger through him to cause him pain. So, my normal damage cannot hurt him. Which means it would be impossible to hit a critical spot of his either, since I can't even land a blow anywhere on him, let alone in a pressure point.

The point is that I think that using the above sum (your normal attack damage - enemy's damage resistance) * your critical multiplierto replace the calculations for critical damage which is being used now would sufficiently balance out critical builds without forcing them to buy two sets of gears in case a boss has critical resistance.
Hey guys, I'm back.
duallifes
android_version: 4.0

Re: Critical hits

Post by duallifes »

I have a differend opinion about critical hits, as I have seen differend kind of hanling of critical hits in differend games.

Usually critical hits are considered as hits to enemys weak point. Ie hits to neck, head, eyes, between the armour plates and so on. So usually normal armor or damage resistance doesnt have effect on critical hits as, for example if you hit between armor plates, well what the armor plates are good then?

Now, there are some ways to count the damage critical hits does, one is the critical hits bypass armor completely but does not deal "extra damage".
So for example if you have this full plated knight and you have a dagger as your weapon. Normally you wouldnt do more than scratch the enemy.
Now, with your critical hit you hit the knight for example in the arm pit, which usually has non-existent armor, it would be the same as if you hit unarmored knight.

On the other hand, if you land critical hit on the same armored knight, push your dagger through his/her visor holes and hit head/eyes, now that would deal more damage than hit againts unarmored knight in mid-section... so extra damage could be counted also.

All in all I like the way critical hits are handled now, but just to throw an idea, maybe we could have new value called "Find weakness", which would work exactly the same as critical hits, but would deal no more damage, instead it would just bypass DR partially or completely, how you like that idea? Of course to balance things, same weapond wouldnt have both values, critical skill and find weakness, only one of them.
"Sleeping by the side of night, holding your hands tight, dreamind of a dream made me so blind. You are just an illusion, you cant be real. Still I gave my heart for you to steal."
OMGitsMe
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by OMGitsMe »

Criticals sure are the target of a lot of scrutiny in recent days... :/ Seems everyone has issues but me .lol...
LVL: 56, HP: 77, EXP: 3140223, AP: 3/12
AC: 255%, AD: 51-65, C.HIT: 54, C.Multi: 3.0, ECC: 27%, BC:40%
RoLS: 2 RoL: 1 GoLF: 1 ShaF: 1 <~~~ Look at my tiny collection :D
The criticals come often, and hit HARD!
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

OMGitsMe wrote:Criticals sure are the target of a lot of scrutiny in recent days... :/ Seems everyone has issues but me .lol...
I love this new criticall system. It is not autokill anymore... I have only 40% chance to make 600+ points of damage :twisted: Nowadays some monsters have a small chance to try to attack (evasion3) :twisted:
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Sarumar wrote:
OMGitsMe wrote:Criticals sure are the target of a lot of scrutiny in recent days... :/ Seems everyone has issues but me .lol...
I love this new criticall system. It is not autokill anymore... I have only 40% chance to make 600+ points of damage :twisted: Nowadays some monsters have a small chance to try to attack (evasion3) :twisted:
Evasion = NINJA MODE!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Pyrizzle wrote:
Sarumar wrote:
Evasion = NINJA MODE!
... silent moves, carefull planned steps... and I get first strike... ewerytime :twisted:
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
OMGitsMe
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by OMGitsMe »

Pyrizzle wrote:
Sarumar wrote:
Evasion = NINJA MODE!
I agree with Sam... Mobs RARELY have an opportunity to land a hit on me... First strike, with TONS of damage... No amount of mob HP is more than a one-round challenge :D
LVL: 56, HP: 77, EXP: 3140223, AP: 3/12
AC: 255%, AD: 51-65, C.HIT: 54, C.Multi: 3.0, ECC: 27%, BC:40%
RoLS: 2 RoL: 1 GoLF: 1 ShaF: 1 <~~~ Look at my tiny collection :D
The criticals come often, and hit HARD!