v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

taunt skill

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Re: taunt skill

Post by Wyrmspawn »

Evasion and dodge don't really go so well with each other. If you don't get hit at all, you wouldn't need to be able to flee or get the first hit. If you depend on getting the first hits, you'll want to hit hard and fast, ending the combat within one turn. These two skills are deliberately made to be incompatible so as to make Taunt harder to get.
Hey guys, I'm back.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

What Wyrmspawn said. Either go with Evasion and max out AC and AD or go with Dodge and max out BC. I suppose if you eventually get high enough level that you have nothing to put points into you could probably pick up both and then get Taunt but for the average lvl 100 or less player it's going to be less effective than going for Ev + AC/AD or D + BC.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Wyrmspawn wrote:Evasion and dodge don't really go so well with each other. If you don't get hit at all, you wouldn't need to be able to flee or get the first hit. If you depend on getting the first hits, you'll want to hit hard and fast, ending the combat within one turn. These two skills are deliberately made to be incompatible so as to make Taunt harder to get.
They might not be a perfect match but they still compliment each other pretty well. Assuming you just get the minimum of each skill for taunt, Evasion level 2 only gives you an extra 10% chance to flee successfully (and to get 1st attack), so if it fails, the 4 levels of dodge will help. And if you haven't used any regular level ups on BC, 4 levels of dodge is still only 36%, so there's still a good chance you'll get hit.

There's some monsters with really high HP, so ending combat in one turn won't happen right away, especially if you get mobbed, unless your base AD is well over 50. Evasion helps there so you can attack, flee, and then attack so you don't have to take turns, but like I said if you fail to flee some BC wouldn't hurt.

And Dodge definitely fits in with Taunt since the monster has to miss for it to possibly take effect.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Interesting that I agree with Wyrmspawn, fiernaq, and Mino. :) "Dodge" and "taunt" go well together, but "taunt" and "evasion" makes little to no sense other than being a prerequisite to make "taunt" harder to obtain.

My level 126 character has more than enough skill-ups in "Dodge", but never skilled-up evasion as it does not help me at this level nor did it help be when the skill was first introduced. On the other hand, my next two skill-ups are earmarked for "Evasion" as I want the "taunt" skill.

My level 41 block build is also being built with the idea of attaining "taunt" down the road.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mad P »

I agree taunt requires a strange combination of skills...but it lets us try out basic skills we wouldn't have chosen otherwise, just like Tek said.

Next we should develop some strange new high level skil ideas that require us to finally take merchant, treasure hunter and failure mastery :lol:
Still playing this game at level 5, collected all extraordinaries, now some precious ring would be useful...

Lvl: 5, XP: 190789
GoLF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, ChaR: 1, ShaF: 1
Gold:28158, HP: 66, AC: 191%, AD: 10-17, AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: 0, BC: -10%, DR: 0
pokerjunky
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by pokerjunky »

:lol: merchant 3 + failure mastery 5 + treasure hunter 5 = NUCLEAR SHOULDER CANNON

i've started a new build with a bee-line towards taunt. excited to see what happens! the only deviations i'm allowing are fortitude 1 and combat speed 1. that will get me taunt by level 36. starting with the fours levels of dodge since i haven't really explored the 'flee' side of the game. i turn tough fights into potion-filled slugfests, thus high BC has a lot of appeal. it sounds like some people have developed a pattern of attack->hit->flee->attack->hit->flee to wear a massive enemy down. i'll have to experiment with that.

i still haven't played beyond mid-game. i keep starting new builds that attract my attention. it'll be interesting to see what works best as the challenges get astronomically more difficult.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Eventually, I'll have enough AD & AC on my newest build to kill everything in one turn. But until then, I've been using the hit and run and then hit again tactic against the Arulirs and higher level Maonit brutes that I still can't kill in 1 turn. But mostly, I was using the Evasion skill to have a higher chance of first attack, because my character not only has no base BC, but with equipment its -3%, so I really want to be able to attack first.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Kruncha
android_version: 4.0

Post by Kruncha »

I've been convinced, I think i'd like to try taunt and use shadowfang, the combination should be pretty effective.
Shadow is faster than light - how else can it get out of the way?
pokerjunky
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by pokerjunky »

Mino wrote:But mostly, I was using the Evasion skill to have a higher chance of first attack
that does have a lot of appeal. like my old man used to say: don't go looking for trouble. but if trouble comes looking for you, make sure you throw the first punch :twisted:
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

I used an old build with all my skill points still unused and...

I was able to get taunt, but really didn't see much change as far as gameplay goes...

Think i am going to go a different direction with my build.
:mrgreen:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------