Alpha test v0.6.9

Discussions of the development process of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Alpha test v0.6.9

Post by oskarwiksten »

It's that time again. A new alpha of Andor's Trail is out for those interested that want to help test the new version.
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/downloads/list

Please note that this is an ALPHA version, which means that there may be several bugs still left in the game. It is therefore very important to SAVE YOUR GAME to some untouched slot and to BACKUP YOUR SAVEGAME before even installing this alpha version. The game might still contain bugs in the storyline or otherwise that are not reversible. Savegames produced by this version might not be readable by the release version.

That being said, there are a lot of interesting new things for you players in this version. It seems that every release now, we double the amount of available dialogue. So is also the case for this release - hope you will enjoy it!

Anyway, note that this is an alpha test, so the purpose of releasing this version is that we want input on things that work and things that does not work. For example, can your old savegames be loaded? Do you get any force-closes?

Specifially, I would like to hear input about the following things:
- Are there any misspellings in the conversations?
- Are the conversation options fluent everywhere?
- Are the new monsters too difficult or too easy?
- Can you solve the new quests? I have not actually playtested them so they might not all be solvable.
- Did you find any unique items? :shock:

I am also very interested in hearing from anyone of you that can test on a tablet device. We did a lot of changes to improve tablet gameplay support, for it is not tested in anything other than the emulator.

Positive reports are of course also welcome. For example, "My old savegame loaded OK", "I managed to complete the first quest by choosing the non-combat alternative ..", "OMG, I found this new magic thing ..".

Changelog for v0.6.9:
- Completely new resource editor that combines the previous editors into one.
- Actors (the player and monsters) can now be affected by "actor conditions" such as poison or bless.
- Rewritten framework for how items stats are determined and applied.
- Quickslots available (by Olivier Samyn)
- Player respawns on last place of rest.
- Revamped combat UI (by Uwe Jugel)
- Italian translation update by liogiu.
- French translation by LeSanglier and Misty Soul.
- German translation by Bomber and Samuel Plentz.
- Proofread English texts by taws34.
- There is now a new preference that you can enable to make the game display in double size
- Better support for scaling correctly on tablet devices. (Hopefully, not tested yet!)
- NPCs can now be removed from a map through conversation (without having to resort to combat first)
- Decreased memory usage from maps (only active map is loaded into memory)
- 800 lines of new dialogue
- 87 new monsters and NPCs
- 57 new maps, including the major dungeon of Blackwater Mountain.
- 6 new quests.
- Completely new sets of monster icons available.
- Bugfixes

Thanks in advance for testing, and we developers hope you will enjoy the new version!
/Oskar
kabbie1882

Re: Alpha test v0.6.9

Post by kabbie1882 »

I decided to put the alpha version on my Nook Color. It works great so far. Some of the maps still display at 1/4 the screen. I did try the "scaling" and while it does make the smaller maps bigger, on the Nook Color they look blurry.

After trying the games already saved on the NC, I transferred the saved games from my phone to the NC. All seems to be working just fine so far.

I don't understand the little chest in the lower right corner ????
Ha Ha, Made you look.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

kabbie1882 wrote:I don't understand the little chest in the lower right corner ????
This is the quickslot chest. Longpress a slot to equip an Item like meat.

There is a major bug in it. You cannot enter the area around guthbered in prim. So currently the main quests couldn't be solved.
The iceworld-glitch is fixed now.
Putting the dagger back to place is not intuitive, perhaps the questlog or bjorgur should give a hint.
Never forget the milk ;-)
There are 2 new items like the RoLS! I will report on that later. ;-)
Here I gathered this points: (to prevent repeating myself)
Samuel wrote:3) I would like to know how the effects work from ingame. I think I know what poison mean. But I didn't figured out the effect of "dazed" yet.
IMO there should be an overlay when I hover or click on an active effect. (Or there should be an ingame (effect) wiki.)
The effects look good and will add depth.
If I am right currently the only way to discover how they work is to check the source code.

4) I really love the quickitem slots. I miss a counter how many items are left, beside from this they are really great.
Should I be able to equip something twice? (Meat on slot 1 and 2 at the same time?)
Should I be able to heal if I have full HP?

5) Could you add an option to switch the language? Sometimes I want to see the English original sentence.
As the northern maps are not included, the other points are not so important anymore.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Jfaulk

Post by Jfaulk »

cant talk to guthbered in prim
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Oskar,

How does the RoLS regeneration functionality work ? Doesn't seem to be doing anything.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
kabbie1882

Post by kabbie1882 »

Jfaulk wrote:cant talk to guthbered in prim
+1
Ha Ha, Made you look.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

The +1 is not working for the RoLS regeneration.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

tek wrote:The +1 is not working for the RoLS regeneration.
It works just wait 25 seconds. (an +1 will pop up over your hero.)
You need them to be equipped. ;-)

If I talk to the red agent the first time and tell him I do not want to start the quest I am able to enter the cave. Then there are 2 red agents wandering around. (there is another one after the first cave and he talks to me as if I started the quest. If I go back the first agent is still there.)
I did the BW-kill-everything way.
The inner chamber is very cool. Good idea about the tp puzzle.
There is some height problem with the fence in the inner chamber. (I can stand on the fence)
There is some height problem with the fence around Waeges.
I can talk about the "inn in prim" to the guy in the gold mine before I was in the inn in prim and did talk to the girl there.
IMO the quest clouded intent should be solved if I help bw. (and vice versa - there should be no unsolveable quests - or is it possible to solve both?)
I didn't find someone to talk / to improve about blackwater misery. Is this included yet?
The ice world looks great. The black areas are... Mh I don't like them much.
Is there anyone out there who doesn't unfold all spoilers? :D :D
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Czar Kloos

Post by Czar Kloos »

Haha to tell u the truth I looked at the second box first cuz I didn't wanna read much but then I had to go back and read the other one.
Level: 18, XP: 102435
Gold: 5132, RoLS: 0, SR: 46

I take on one day at a time... unless they all decide to attack at once

Creator of Andor's Snuggie along with ctnbeh13
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

Thank you everyone for alpha testing the new version! I am impressed that you found so many new things in it, and several things to improve! :)

I have now uploaded v0.6.9a2 in the same location:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/downloads/list
Jfaulk wrote:cant talk to guthbered in prim
Fixed.
Samuel wrote:Could you add an option to switch the language?
This is not something that should be done in the game, but rather an OS thing. Check your Android OS settings, there is a setting in there to change this.
tek wrote:How does the RoLS regeneration functionality work ? Doesn't seem to be doing anything.
While wearing the ring, you should get a condition called "regeneration" with a red cross in the bottom left corner. While being affected by the regeneration condition, every 6 seconds outside combat, you get a blue swirl and +1hp. At least, that works for me in the emulator. Does that not work on your device?
Samuel wrote:If I talk to the red agent the first time and tell him I do not want to start the quest I am able to enter the cave.
Fixed.
Samuel wrote:There is some height problem with the fence in the inner chamber. (I can stand on the fence)
Fixed.
Samuel wrote:There is some height problem with the fence around Waeges.
Fixed.
Samuel wrote:I can talk about the "inn in prim" to the guy in the gold mine before I was in the inn in prim and did talk to the girl there.
Fixed.
Samuel wrote:IMO the quest clouded intent should be solved if I help bw. (and vice versa - there should be no unsolveable quests - or is it possible to solve both?)
Hopefully fixed. There should be conversation options available that create quest logs like "he does not want to talk to me anymore.." that closes the quest.
Samuel wrote:I didn't find someone to talk / to improve about blackwater misery. Is this included yet?
There will be no quest attached to it. This is an expreiment on item stats. I wonder if anyone can figure out how to use the Blackwater curse to their advantage :twisted:
/Oskar