the power of criticals

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
pokerjunky
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

the power of criticals

Post by pokerjunky »

i had started to maximize my first character's critical skills but it seemed much weaker than my other options. i haven't pinned down the exact math on this but it seems like, on average, i always do more damage from maximizing the power of normal hits than from maximizing critical hits. maximizing critical hits means hitting the enemy less often as well as weaker normal hits. getting a critical on an already damaged enemy often means a lot of 'wasted' damage. hitting a wounded enemy for twice their total hp doesn't make them more dead. if it took more total hits then where is the advantage?

what is the highest % chance of criticals we can get to? what is the best damage/hit trade-off you guys have seen?
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: the power of criticals

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

Firm believer in high base damage. With the amount of damage resistance enemies have on the road to Remgard its vital to have high base damage otherwise a fight just drags and you lose HP. High AC and AD are IMO the way to build a dangerous hero. Lots of HP helps too. Criticals are great but a hero can still be very strong without them. Nothing new here.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Criticals were overpowered before version 0.6.11. Thats why so many still have crit build. I stil love crit, it is nice to wipe out severall enemyes in single round :twisted:

There are not max % in crit chance, but making it over 40% is really hard.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I agree the critical hit system isn't as powerful as it used to be, but I still find it helpful. If you can get your effective critical chance to over 25% (the more over the better), then you get an average of 1 out of 4 attacks being a critical hit. Using the Dagger of the Shadow Priests and Jewel of Fallhaven, you'll have 4 attacks once you've got 2 levels of Combat Speed (or max AP of 12), or until then you can use speed potions.

That critical hit is helpful against some of the very high HP creatures like the brutes and arulirs from the newest update. So if you're going for a critical hit build, unless you're trying to meet requirements for other skills, I would only use skill points on More Criticals, and ignore Better Criticals (the multiplier becomes less important as you build up your base AD, so its the chance you want to focus on). And of course, get all the critical chance boosting equipment you can (one of which is quest based).

But also remember some monsters are now immune to critical hits so you might want to switch weapons for something that gives you a higher AC and AD for them.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Post by Wyrmspawn »

Piggy the Slayer wrote:Firm believer in high base damage. With the amount of damage resistance enemies have on the road to Remgard its vital to have high base damage otherwise a fight just drags and you lose HP. High AC and AD are IMO the way to build a dangerous hero. Lots of HP helps too. Criticals are great but a hero can still be very strong without them. Nothing new here.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that you had a critical build that could hit into the 600s... :shock: That seems pretty powerful to me, and while critical hits may be a little bit of a gambit at the moment, offering no help against undead creatures, IMO it should be very fun to one-shot all of the enemies in the game by lvl 40.
Hey guys, I'm back.
Piggy the Slayer

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

I did have such a character but they met a violent death by the side of a motorway. Decided to leave criticals for now. Although hitting for 600+ is great. That character did base damage of over 100.

Dont leave your pocket unzipped when doing silly speeds on a motorbike.
My new build will end up much stronger.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Sorry to hear about your phone Piggy, and that's some good advice.
I'd also suggest that everyone sign up for something like Drop Box or Google Drive (since its probably safe to assume we all have a Google account) so you can occasionally upload your save files to the cloud in case you need to put it on a new/different device.

Or you can just e-mail it to yourself, which is what I used to do before cloud storage.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Thystonius

Post by Thystonius »

Mino wrote:Sorry to hear about your phone Piggy, and that's some good advice.
I'd also suggest that everyone sign up for something like Drop Box or Google Drive (since its probably safe to assume we all have a Google account) so you can occasionally upload your save files to the cloud in case you need to put it on a new/different device.

Or you can just e-mail it to yourself, which is what I used to do before cloud storage.
+1, email to myself is the old skool way but both google Drive and DropBox are nice.

I use DotSP with some crit hit equipment, gives me 21% crit chance (1 in 5 hits) and that helps a lot against big hp enemies. Some pieces with crithit are so much worse than others that I left those out, I have helmet, vest and boots with high AC and BC.

Not putting points in more crit until I know for sure the high level skills are getting useful (Concussion, Taunt, Bone Fracture, etc.)
Lvl 74|XP 7,280,442|€ 364,324|2013.08.27
HP 229|AC 238%|AD 46-55|AP 3|ECC 25%|CM 3.0|BC 140%|DR 10|SR
RoLS 2|ElyR 1|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 1|ShaF 1|SRoV 0|VSH 0|WMC 0|GoW 0
WA 1|HH 1|Clv 1|BS 5|CS 2|CE 1|IF 5|Reg 1|DPS 1|DP 1|SP 2|LAP 1