v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Building AT on Android

Discussions of the development process of the game.
carceris-magister
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Building AT on Android

Post by carceris-magister »

Last week, I cloned a git repo of Andor's Trail 0.7.1 and built it (using AIDE) on my Galaxy Note. It worked flawlessy.

Is anyone else doing builds not just for Android but actually on Android devices? Was it an accident that it worked so well, or is one of the devs making sure that AT builds using AIDE? I'm watching to see if Android can actually become a FOSS development platform, rather than just a build target.

CM

p.s. I would use my tablet rather than phone for editing code, of course.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Building AT on Android

Post by Tomcat »

I have AIDE on my phone, an old HTC Glacier MyTouch. It pulls the code just fine, checks it successfully, but when I try to build, it runs out of VM heap space. I have no ideas if it is possible to increase this space, or if it hopeless on this old phone. I don't see anywhere how to change a setting. Any ideas? The guy who developed AIDE didn't even respond to a request for help.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
carceris-magister

Tomcat wrote:I have AIDE on my phone, an old HTC Glacier MyTouch. It pulls the code just fine, checks it successfully, but when I try to build, it runs out of VM heap space. I have no ideas if it is possible to increase this space, or if it hopeless on this old phone. I don't see anywhere how to change a setting. Any ideas? The guy who developed AIDE didn't even respond to a request for help.
"Heap space" is the available memory on your device. Compiling Java uses a lot of memory, and there just might not be enough of it on an old phone. You could try killing every other process to see if it makes a difference, but it might just not be possible.

CM
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

carceris-magister wrote:
Tomcat wrote:I have AIDE on my phone, an old HTC Glacier MyTouch. It pulls the code just fine, checks it successfully, but when I try to build, it runs out of VM heap space. I have no ideas if it is possible to increase this space, or if it hopeless on this old phone. I don't see anywhere how to change a setting. Any ideas? The guy who developed AIDE didn't even respond to a request for help.
"Heap space" is the available memory on your device. Compiling Java uses a lot of memory, and there just might not be enough of it on an old phone. You could try killing every other process to see if it makes a difference, but it might just not be possible.

CM
That was what I suspected. Killing other processes isn't enough, of course. I do want to upgrade my phone at some point. I wish I could be sure ahead of time that I was getting enough memory to make the game.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
carceris-magister

Tomcat wrote:That was what I suspected. Killing other processes isn't enough, of course. I do want to upgrade my phone at some point. I wish I could be sure ahead of time that I was getting enough memory to make the game.
A Nexus 7 is less than half the cost of a full-price phone, if you don't need something that makes calls.

CM
Xero
android_version: 2.2

Post by Xero »

Galaxy s4... is .... it's a galaxy s4...
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

carceris-magister wrote:
Tomcat wrote:That was what I suspected. Killing other processes isn't enough, of course. I do want to upgrade my phone at some point. I wish I could be sure ahead of time that I was getting enough memory to make the game.
A Nexus 7 is less than half the cost of a full-price phone, if you don't need something that makes calls.

CM
I'm not sure how much I'd use a tablet, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
Norbert
sorrow
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by sorrow »

I have a T mobile prism and I've done coding on it. And this phone sucks

Sorrow
Lvl:80 XP:9214038 Gold:1mil Hp:243 AC:301 Ad:28-49 Ch:21 Cm:2.0 Ecc:15 BC:148 Dr:3

skills:
WA:2. HH:2. CS:2. TH:2 QL:2 IF:2 REG:2 MF:5 DBS:1 2HSP:1 LAP:2 HAP:1 SREG:1
L/E
CHAR:1 ROLS:1 ELYR:1 GOLF:1 SHAF: 1
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

sorrow wrote:I have a T mobile prism and I've done coding on it. And this phone sucks
Coding is one thing. Being able to build AT is all I care about at this point.
Norbert
Shadow Slayer
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat
Location: Vacor's Hideout (Temporarily Retired)(Real Life Location, I WILL NOT TELL YOU:))

Post by Shadow Slayer »

Does anybody know how to build AT wh AIDE, When I tried it said it installed successfully but when I tried to turn it on I just got the notification - Unfortunately, Andor's Trail has stopped, does someone know what could have gone wrong?
They called it the Shadow, and started creating a small cult around it, Only the smallest core of the cult actually knows that this power comes from the Kazaul-era dark arts...