v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Actor conditions and new item effects

Discussions of the development process of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Actor conditions and new item effects

Post by oskarwiksten »

For those of you that follow the updates on our project page at code.google.com, you have probably seen that I have commited some code for the new Actor Condition system (previously called temporary effects), and a new system for indicating effects of items.

I am starting to get to the point where the new system works as expected, and where it is testable by other people. If you know how to compile and run the game, please download from svn and give it a try!

The new system for actor conditions allows us to introduce conditions such as bless, poison and regeneration very easily. Adding new types of conditions is also very easy, so we can be creative in what types of conditions are possible. The conditions can affect combat traits, max HP or ap, or have some effect on HP or ap every turn.

The new item system allows us to do a lot more interesting things with items than what was previously possible. Now we can introduce different effects for equipped items, effects for when the item is used, and effects that are applied when a successful attack hit has been made, or a monster has been killed. The effects include modifications to combat traits, max or current HP, max or current ap, move cost, and conditions that are applied to the player or the target.

This allows us to make, for example, a weapon that on hit heals the player some HPs, and has chance of causing poison condition on the target.

Please give the new system a try if you know how to compile from svn!
/Oskar
lord midnight

Re: Actor conditions and new item effects

Post by lord midnight »

ok, can eclipse do the svn by itself? I tried several clients in the past, and none worked for me well. I got the source downloaded, but I only got a partial zip before it erred out, that was 0.6.7.

I am especially interested, naturally.
AND/OR's ...
ingvar

Post by ingvar »

Yes, it can.

You can use subeclipse plugin under Find & Install updates
(URL for plugin is: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x)

Subeclipse:
http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectProcess

Hope this helps.
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

ok, I tried eclipse, I have never used it before, I couldnt really get used to it, everything was so tiny, Im just using crimson editor for now.

can you explain some things:

round vs full round
where you are defining what stats are altered, in the itemtypecollection, I see debug items, but I can actually find where you define the attributes affected.

couple other things, Ill get back shortly after these are answered.
AND/OR's ...
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

lord midnight wrote:round vs full round
A "game round" happens roughly once every 6 seconds (when not in combat).
A "full game round" happens roughly once every 25 seconds (when not in combat).
lord midnight wrote:where you are defining what stats are altered, in the itemtypecollection, I see debug items, but I can actually find where you define the attributes affected.
Let's take the "DEBUG ring of killeffect" as an example. In ItemTypeCollection, it is initialized with an ItemTraits_OnUse -object that states that "current hp" should be boosted by 4 points, and that it has an effect of "regen" for 3 rounds of magnitude 2.
The actor condition "regen" is specified in ActorConditionTypeCollection, as a StatsModifierTraits of 1 point on HP for every game round.

The definition of effects on items should be moved into resource files for the release, and not hardcoded like this. The stats should be editable from the content editors. It must not be hardcoded.

Hope this answers your question.
/Oskar
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

right, all of the other scrolls that work on monsters use the main attack item function, its pure addition, the switch case is for things that do stuff that cant be encoded in data, like instant death chance, inventory destruction, other stuff data wont cover. Im serializing the scroll data next as item data, now Im getting started on the stuff that has durations n such, actual status effects. Ill look over regen again, I just didnt see where it actually defined currentHP, lots of files to go back n forth through, though the CombatTraits is a pretty important class.
AND/OR's ...