New to AT

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: New to AT

Post by fiernaq »

Rings are indeed one of the easiest ways to pick up quite a few extra stats early on. At your level you should be able to complete the quests near the Crossroads Guardhouse (northeast of crossglen). Look for a character named Ailshara... she provides some very good gear that will last you a long time.

As for stats, like others have said there are many routes to take. Some of them excel early on, others excel mid-game, and others are best for later on. I personally chose the route of many attacks combined with high AC and AD and I make it my goal to kill everything within 1 round. If I can no longer succeed at that then I back off, find somewhere to level up a few times, and then go back and try again. Others prefer a crit build for massive attacks which can be extremely powerful but then they occasionally face off against a crit-immune monster and suddenly their build seems weak. Then there's the tank method where you stack BC and HP combined with a bit of DR to the point where you can survive any encounter long enough to kill your foe. The downside to that one is of course when you face an opponent with high BC... with all your points spent in BC you won't have as high an AC as a full on offensive character so you may find yourself missing over and over and over and over. Then there's always the balanced build like Mayweed suggested where you take just enough of each stat to make wherever you are currently fighting easier.

It's much easier to choose equipment based on the build you want than it is to pick equipment and then try to make your build fit the equipment. If it helps, the vast majority of people who play AT are not still playing the first char they ever made. I think I'm on my third or fourth char because the first couple I messed up pretty badly. Playing those first few characters gave me the experience I needed to make this build so powerful. In other words, I recommend playing a few characters. Play each one till things get difficult, figure out why it was difficult, make a new char that is adjusted so that when he reaches that point he will be better able to take on the challenge your first character faced. In the meantime, have fun, don't make AT a chore or a job, and play around a bit. The first 20 levels can be played and replayed fairly quickly once you have it figured out so don't force yourself to stay with one character just because you got him to level 17 already.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Sherfox
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sherfox »

Thanks to everyone of you guys, i made a new char now and i'm lvl 21 with it now.
I noticed that i'm a LOT faster doing levels and the quests than with the char before. might be the experience i made until now
I'm trying high AC now with a decent amount of damage but i think i need to get some BC now since monsters hit me pretty hard.

What do you think about Treasure Hunter? I took 1 point in it and got a good amount of gold now so i dont have to spend extra time on grinding for some gear i want to buy..
i took 2 points in IF, 1 in Combat Speed (Should i wait with this until i can take both of them at once?)

Would you tell me which.. lets say the 5 to 7 skills you like to get?

And by your experience, where do i get flesh at most and easiest? i know about snake cave but when i'm about lvl 20, would you recommend an other place?

Got to say i already like the community here since people are answering fast and are ready to help!
Lvl44 XP1.596.357 Gold15094 HP105 AP3/12 AC252% AD30-47 BC124% DR5
IF3 CS2 EV1 BS1 D1 OHSP2 HAP1 FS:DW2

working on taunt.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Sherfox wrote:Would you tell me which.. lets say the 5 to 7 skills you like to get?

you nailed it with Increased Fortitude & Combat Speed...
after that, it depends on your build.

for fighting: i usually take the Cleave or Critical Skills, but usually not both...

for "ease of play": Regen & Corpse Eater are nice ways to keep your Health up,
but i usually just leave the healing up to a massive bag of healing items - not skills.

i also like to take Evasion, so i can make escapes & dance through tough spots...
i try to focus on skills that grant abilities you can't gain anywhere else.

Sherfox wrote:And by your experience, where do i get flesh at most and easiest?

around level 20 is when i stopped hunting for so much meat...
i would grind the Prison for potions (to use & sell)
and also for the gear they drop - great sell prices! (swords & leather gear)

if the prison is too much for you at this moment in time,
then try the Crypt - same deal / they drop gear & potions.

and both places are decent sources of dropped gold,
so your treasure hunting will come in handy.

:D

future updates will introduce things with higher & higher price tags,
so - don't feel too rich just yet!

:lol:

Sherfox wrote:Got to say i already like the community here since people are answering fast and are ready to help!

what else can we say about this community?

it's incredible!!!

just gotta love you people!

"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Sherfox

Post by Sherfox »

nyktos wrote:
Sherfox wrote:Would you tell me which.. lets say the 5 to 7 skills you like to get?
you nailed it with Increased Fortitude & Combat Speed...
after that, it depends on your build.

for fighting: i usually take the Cleave or Critical Skills, but usually not both...

for "ease of play": Regen & Corpse Eater are nice ways to keep your Health up,
but i usually just leave the healing up to a massive bag of healing items - not skills.

i also like to take Evasion, so i can make escapes & dance through tough spots...
i try to focus on skills that grant abilities you can't gain anywhere else.
Do you think i should take CS near lvl 30? (both of them, because i don't think that single point provides any benefits, am i wrong?)
What does Evasion actually do? And how many points would you use on it?
nyktos wrote:
Sherfox wrote:And by your experience, where do i get flesh at most and easiest?
around level 20 is when i stopped hunting for so much meat...
i would grind the Prison for potions (to use & sell)
and also for the gear they drop - great sell prices! (swords & leather gear)

if the prison is too much for you at this moment in time,
then try the Crypt - same deal / they drop gear & potions.

and both places are decent sources of dropped gold,
so your treasure hunting will come in handy.
The crypt is where?
nyktos wrote:future updates will introduce things with higher & higher price tags,
so - don't feel too rich just yet!
Not really related to this: I know where to get good/decent equipment BUT i really can't find a helmet which i think it is good.
got some tips?
Lvl44 XP1.596.357 Gold15094 HP105 AP3/12 AC252% AD30-47 BC124% DR5
IF3 CS2 EV1 BS1 D1 OHSP2 HAP1 FS:DW2

working on taunt.
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

Sherfox wrote: Do you think i should take CS near lvl 30? (both of them, because i don't think that single point provides any benefits, am i wrong?)
yeah, there are benefits for the first level...
especially if you flee from battle for better position / or the use hit & run technique early on.

or, use a potion (5ap) & try to flee (6ap)
Heal and Run!!!

:lol:

i dunno - i play crazy?
attacking things i have no right to...
bleeding like mad

Sherfox wrote: What does Evasion actually do? And how many points would you use on it?
it makes it harder for the monsters to hit you first, and easier to run away.
some people swear by this skill, others think it's useless... just depends on what you like.

i usually take two levels of evasion, or none at all.
but: right now, at level 25...

Increased Fortitude 2
Combat Speed 1
Evasion 3 [first time i've ever had it this high / kinda epic]

when i hit lv 28 i am saving my Skill point for Combat Speed @ lv 30
(so i don't have to wait until 32 to get it)

Sherfox wrote:The crypt is where?
The Crypt below the church in Fallhaven, access is granted through questing...
by trying to gain access to the thieves guild & getting the Key of Luthor for them
Sherfox wrote:Not really related to this: I know where to get good/decent equipment BUT i really can't find a helmet which i think it is good.
got some tips?
the first helm i spend any money on is a very standard Leather Cap [+6 BC]
it's hard to say past that, because you start seeing negative effects / making it depend on your build...

i think it's sold in Vilegard?
let me double check that...

Richard Faila [of the forums] put together a wonderful directory...
it has maps, gear lists, NPCs, monsters - you name it!

here is a link to his thread on the boards:
[Page Andor's Trail Directory is complete]

here is a link to the actual directory:
[Andor's Trail Directory]

again, major props to Richard for all the hard work!

:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

+1 Lots of good tips from Nyktos here. IF and CS are the only one skills that i pick for any build

.. hmmm sorry i have also build without CS and it is pretty nasty one :twisted:

Evasion three is epic, cleave two (or higher) is really fun ... some builds will love high DR and currently there are those shiny new skills about profiencies and wielding, etc... with some really devastating combos..

good hunting
Last edited by Sarumar on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

Sarumar wrote: some builds will love high DR...
excellent point!

:shock:

especially when you start using DR gear in tandem with a high BC & DR Skills...

SICK!

as always - sage advice from Sarumar!
"Embrace the Shadow"

fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

Evasion 1 and 2 are barely worth it, Evasion 3 is where it's at and at least for now Evasion 4 is also not that great. In other words, if you're going to put points into Evasion you might as well go all the way to 3. Monsters standing in the square immediately next to you have a 15% chance to attack you. Evasion 3 takes that to a 0% chance. They can still move into you and get first hit but they won't attack you otherwise. I'll eventually want Evasion 4 just for the additional Flee chance but that's really the only benefit you gain from Evasion 4.

As for Corpse Eater and Regeneration, the one you choose depends on the build you want. If you go with a very high AC/AD char that kills things fast then you'll want Corpse Eater (and find it very useful). If you take your time, do a lot of evading and don't mind letting time take care of your wounds then Regeneration is better. I put 1 point in each and I doubt I'll ever put more than that but I do find both to be useful.

Nyktos already described the Combat Speed thing and I agree, even 1 point can be useful. The weapon you wield will make a difference as to how useful but there's no point in waiting till lvl 32 to grab both at once. I think I picked mine up at 24 and 30.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

nyktos wrote:
Sarumar wrote: some builds will love high DR...
excellent point!

:shock:

especially when you start using DR gear in tandem with a high BC & DR Skills...

SICK!

as always - sage advice from Sarumar!

...with typos of cource :-)
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

I just posted a very long entry about starting out and where to go for good XP.

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 571#p41571 <---- check it out on here!

Happy hunting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------