v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Complete russian translation

Discussions of the development process of the game.
dromoz
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Complete russian translation

Post by dromoz »

Hi!
We just have finished the complete russian translation of v0.7.0 on Launchpad.
Considering great interest to AT on Play from russian players, is it possible to launch release 0.7.0.1 with updated russian translation?
I've sent a couple of e-mails to Oskar, but he is not answering.
Does anybody else from dev. team could do that?
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Complete russian translation

Post by sdevaney »

Hello,

That's great thank you so much for working on the translation. While we are open to doing more frequent releases we will most likely wait until other things are finished before doing another release.

Thanks,
Scott
dromoz

Post by dromoz »

Let me advocate the relevancy of more frequent releases from my point of view.
Actually, I'm speaking of special subreleases for finished translations to some languages.

I think, it is clear, that translation of new string resources should be started after the end of development phase. It is not good to translate the resources that are under constant changing.
In large projects there is special time scale for translation, combined with marketing phase.
In small scale projects versions in other languages are launched after the main product with the help of localization teams.
If the localization of updates in some release will be bundled with some new updates in next release, then we come to situation, when none of releases will have complete translation to any other langugage. I found this both incomfortable to native players and demotivating to team of translators.
Thus, I guess, the complete localizations deserve they own versions.
I propose new dimension of version numbers for this - namely, 0.7.0.1 in this case - that is specially reserved for complete translations of any release of the game.
fiernaq

Post by fiernaq »

Dromoz is correct and I support his case. There's a good reason why most translation occurs after development stops rather than while code is constantly being changed and unless you want the translation to always be one version number behind current it's best to release a minor update that includes finished translations as soon after the regular release as is possible. If you're really worried about introducing new bugs you could always create a second project that has a release schedule shortly after the primary release to allow time for translation to finish.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Or, as I proposed several months ago, separate the game package from the translation package.
That way, we can keep the game update cycle separate from the translation cycle.
I think packaging all the translations in one single package wouldn't be too heavy either, but could make the game a little lighter, and saves the need for an in-game setting to choose english vs localized version (as proposed in the last survey).
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Thanks for your input everyone, you all make very valid points. I will bring this up with Oskar and everyone at the next meeting to see if we can get this started.
Mayweed
VIP
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mayweed »

Zukero wrote: I think packaging all the translations in one single package wouldn't be too heavy either, but could make the game a little lighter, and saves the need for an in-game setting to choose english vs localized version (as proposed in the last survey).
+1 for translation-only-updates and language packages, but I want to switch the language, too.
I usually play the game with german translation, but now and then I want to switch to english,
for example to retrieve a specific quest name to post in the forum.
MusicManiac
android_version: 4.0

Post by MusicManiac »

Yea, hello.
I can help with translation but i dont know how to work with all these files you were talking about so im wondering is there ez way to help? Just dont know how to work with all these "packages" you were talking about. =)
Name: Morfius Skywalker;
Level: 29->35, XP: 461'891->773'169, Gold: 1'195->9'042;
HP: 107->121, AP: 2/10->same, AttCh: 226%->224%, AttDmg: 23-28->24-30, EEC: 0%->same, BlCh: 12%->30%, DmgRed: 0->1;
SmRocks: 442->504, BMPotionsUsed: 576->771, MnstrsKilled: 4'879->6'496, No Leg items
Skills: WpnAcc(4), IncrFort(3), QckLearn(1), DrkBlessShadow(1)
Date: 23/12/13->26/12/13
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

fiernaq wrote:Dromoz is correct and I support his case. There's a good reason why most translation occurs after development stops rather than while code is constantly being changed and unless you want the translation to always be one version number behind current it's best to release a minor update that includes finished translations as soon after the regular release as is possible. If you're really worried about introducing new bugs you could always create a second project that has a release schedule shortly after the primary release to allow time for translation to finish.
I agree as well!

Dromoz: Great suggestion! Welcome to the forums!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------