v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Two-handed weapons discussion

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!

Do you think two-handed weapons are efficient?

Yes they are.
5%
No. They should be improved.
95%

Total votes: 22

Covenant
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Two-handed weapons discussion

Post by Covenant »

fiernaq wrote:Exactly, Covenant. You're so high level at this point that build doesn't really matter. You could accomplish the same results of killing things with whatever weapon you chose to go with. At lower levels, a 2H simply won't provide the damage necessary to offset the low number of attacks you get which makes fights last multiple rounds which is much slower than the single round you can kill a monster in with a low AP cost weapon.
Yes, I agree with you. Just wanted a different perspective added to the conversation.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

Interesting points! I'll definitely bring this topic up at the meeting.
It's great to discuss with you guys! :D
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Very one sided vote here.

Definitely something we should look into more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Post by Wyrmspawn »

Well, it isn't all bad news... the gutsplitter seems to be a great weapon for 2-handed specialization, just from theorycrafting.

- Full DR gear (minus the shield, but oh well.)
- Gutsplitter
- 3 skills into 2 handed weapons

Gives a pretty good rate of damage, and I just like the general idea of some sort of Executioner type character... Axe, Dark helmet (Dark Protector), and overall resistance to damage. Not sure how it works out in the real game, though. But even before you get combat speed, this build would still be usable with Jewel of Fallhaven + Coward's Boots, allowing some form of Hit-and-Run to complete quests.

Edit: Actually read through the thread this time, and I think I missed the point. What this thread is saying is that in higher levels damage no longer matters.

I agree that using 2-handed weapons probably doesn't pay for higher level characters. But I feel that changing every weapon into a percentage based calculation would make the game mechanics change too drastically. It's already confusing that the % of AC and BC doesn't work normally for noobs; it would be even odder if the AD was also presented as a %age.

What I suggest, is that 2 handed weapons need this to carve out their niche: The proficiency skills could make them add to your base AP.

On purely logical grounds, this makes sense since you will get more space between yourself and your enemy; allowing you additional breathing space. True, it takes more time for you to swing your weapon around, but it also takes more time for the enemy to get under your strikes and get close enough to you to hurt you.

In the gaming sense, this would also balance things a little. Using the Skullcrusher
AP cost: 7
AC: 20%
AD: 0-26
CHS: 5
CM: 3
as an example, if I had a JOF equipped, I would get 6/12 ap cost. But if the Skullcrusher could add +2 to AP, then I'd get an Attack cost of 7/14, and I'd get a chance to equip a more defensive necklace instead.
Hey guys, I'm back.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

hmm how about this; You got differend (partially random) amound of your bace AD when using light, one-handed and two-handed weapons?

Something like this, every time when you hit you gain only some part of your bace AD...:
-light weapon (barehanded, dagger, scepter, etc) you inflickt 25-75% of your's bace AD
-one-handed weapons, you inflickt 50-75% ...
-two-handed weapons, you inflickt 75-125%...

There might be room for some new skills too?

any comment?
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1