v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Andor's Trail Walkthrough: From fly to dual-wielding monster

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
Link
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: How to - Andor's Trail: The perfect start & beyond

Post by Link »

r0tt3nj4ck wrote:Second Point at level 8 - I used it on Quick Learner - as it will start early on to give you an extra 5% Exp. Once you've reached your first million points, 50.000 exp will come from this decision alone

Why not take regeneration. By the time you make 1 million exp. 50k is just 1 run vs. a skill that regens you always forever.

Scratch that. ;)
@r0tt3nj4ck: Because you cannot! Regeneration is only available with 30HP base points. And because I find choosing +5 HP on Level-up a total waste of valuable points in AC, BC & AD - I simply take it later ;) (see the next level batch: 11-20)
valshaq wrote:I'd ignore the rat cave at the first levels. Saveloading is not (my idea of) fun!
And as far as points distribution goes:
IMHO, your first point should be damage, your next one attack chance and so on. Actually I only cared about BC after Level 20.
Oh, and another life saving hint:
Always take your bread with thee!
As you don't have regeneration yet, this one really can mean the difference between life and death (10 x +1 HP) and comes very cheap, even at the first stages. I use it occasionally even on later levels just to shorten the time I'd have to hide in some corner. (Hint: What's you most valuable resource? And no, it's not gold coins...)
Oh and about attacking:
Forget about that axe. One hit per round is a no-go!
@valshaq:
  • 1st point: No real need for actual save loading (just a matter of safety for those that like it - if you don't, ditch it). The main point here, is that your father's house and your bed are very close by. And nothing comes cheaper than resting in a free bed, money as well as time wise. Btw. the first 5 levels took less than an hour. ;)
  • 2nd point: By investing a good amount into BC, you really prolong your lifetime substantially. Try it! However, you're right about AC & AD are very important. In a nutshell: atm (level 22) I'm on about 181AC, 76BC and 10-21AD. Guess were the next points go?!
  • 3rd point: same as above
Zukero wrote:@Link: I haven't had the time to read it all yet... but keep up the good work ! It's awesome !

I'd suggest renaming the topic though (edit your first post, and change the title) to something more "precise" like: "Andor's Trail walkthrough: from level 1 to invincible dual-wielder".

Also, when incorporating tips and ideas from other players, make sure to:
- Give their names when citing them directly
- Make sure it fits with your described strategy
- State them as alternatives (like, give different item sets).
@Zukero: +100% on all. Will do pretty much all of what you suggested
Duke wrote:Link, I think you listed the wrong stats for the Bar Brawler's Gloves and the wrong cost for the Gloves of Better Grip.
And, I would recommend rings that do dmg over the Challenger's Ring. AC and dmg is in my opinion way more important early than a lowly 4BC. But, this is your guide and you are doing a great job with this, please don't take my words as golden, they are just my opinion. And what is great about this game, is that there are so many choices to be made. :-)
I'll look into that. Thanks for the hint.

@all:
Thanks again for all the valuable tips. Your names will be listed in the first post in a separate list. Together, we'll make this walkthrough a really valuable resource for beginners (I really hate the word "newbie").

Cheers,
Link
Level: 100|Exp:18063694|Gold:699883|AP:12/3|HP:396|AC:336%|AD: 56-69|BC:133%|DR:4
Skills: WA:2|HH:2|CS:2|QL:2|CE:2|IF:5|CL:2|EV:1|Reg:1|OhSp:2|Sh:1|FS-W&S:2|Spec-W&S:1
Items: RoLS:1|ElyR:0|RoL:1|ChaR:1|GoLF:1|ShaF:1|SRoV:1|VSH:1|WMC:0|GoW:0

1st RoLS at: 2916 Trainers and 2731 Masters
1st RoL at: 5843 imps
My shiny new website: http://www.lifendive.com
last updated: 01-23-2014 16:59 CET
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Andor's Trail Walkthrough: From fly to dual-wielding mon

Post by rijackson741 »

In your "Grinding Areas until level 10" why do you not list
Snake Cave?
The first two chambers can get you a lot of XP, and very importantly a lot of meat, which you can either use for regeneration (albeit with a certain amount of danger :) ) or sell for a lot of gold (it's a lot at that point in the game, anyway). It's also very close to home, so it's easy to rest. As an extra, there's a few Forest Snakes close to the entrance that are easy pickings.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Link

Post by Link »

rijackson741 wrote:In your "Grinding Areas until level 10" why do you not list
Snake Cave?
The first two chambers can get you a lot of XP, and very importantly a lot of meat, which you can either use for regeneration (albeit with a certain amount of danger :) ) or sell for a lot of gold (it's a lot at that point in the game, anyway). It's also very close to home, so it's easy to rest. As an extra, there's a few Forest Snakes close to the entrance that are easy pickings.
Dunno, never found it appealing. But I'll investigate your suggestion and might add it. Give me a minute.

----- edit -----
You're absolutely right. It's actually a really great place, especially with regard to the source of valuable meat. One drawback though, the exp is not as high as in Irogotu's cave and the snake trainers are really tough at this stage. The snakes however are very thankful victims. New title: "Snake slyer"?! - would also be much more appealing to some that don't like slaying puppies.
Ergo: I'll add it with a little comment.
Level: 100|Exp:18063694|Gold:699883|AP:12/3|HP:396|AC:336%|AD: 56-69|BC:133%|DR:4
Skills: WA:2|HH:2|CS:2|QL:2|CE:2|IF:5|CL:2|EV:1|Reg:1|OhSp:2|Sh:1|FS-W&S:2|Spec-W&S:1

rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

I've only built two characters, but for me it was the key both times. There's no better way to get gold early in the game, and early in the game gold is very important. Those fancy items you list are not cheap :) I would like to add these tips:
Getting through the first cavern is certainly doable by level 10. Getting through the second cavern is a lot harder, so it might be wise to leave the Basilisk alone, and only clear the first part of the second cavern. Consuming some of that meat that was just won and resting in the doorway between the first and second caverns is a great way to replenish HP. If food poisoning doesn't get you that is :lol:
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
fiernaq

Post by fiernaq »

It's amazing to see the differences in game play between when I first started a character till I made my final character and progressed beyond the starting zones. Interestingly, several of the choices I made back then just don't work as well now (meat having a chance to poison you comes to mind). Nice job on the write-up, Link. Also, while this doesn't make much of a difference to your walkthrough, QL is basically just a QoL skill (see what I did there?). I definitely agree about taking IF first but you could literally pick just about any other skill at level 8 and do better for yourself than picking QL. QL is best taken much later in game when you no longer need to worry about collecting the important skills.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

I hadn't noticed the QL recommendation. I have to agree with fiernaq. Well, except to the extent that I would not even get it later in the game. If you use a skill point for QL what does that get you? Every 20 levels or so you get one extra level up, so you could get, for example an extra 3 points in BC. So by about level 60 you could get as much extra BC as if you had just taken one level of Dodge instead. By the time you get to about level 80 you have also gained one extra skill point to spend, so I guess then you could get the level of Dodge you didn't take at level 8. No thanks. The only use for QL is to try and get as much XP as possible and as many levels as possible. IMO, other than for that, it's useless.
Bad Hair Day

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Dear Link,

Thank you so much for creating the guide. I found it to be tremendously helpful and enjoyable. I particularly liked that you were giving advice and took care to not to spoil the fun along the way. It was very helpful to be told which quests were within reach at which levels. It was also nice that you didn�t give away any plot details as well. I also found your equipment advice to be most helpful. I am not trying to optimize my character with every single equipment buy. I have no desire to learn the math algorithms that lead to concluding that sword X has a 0.02% stronger rate of return than sword Y. But I also don�t want to buy a 400GP sword that has a 5% attack bonus when a 420GP sword has a 10% attack bonus but is available in a different smithy.

I also enjoy your advice about which pieces of equipment I should have at what point along the way. I put on Vacna�s boots as soon as I could, and that was fun.

I was reluctant to sell the poisoned dagger I picked up (I think in the snake cave) because when I tried to sell it the computer warned me that it was a one of a kind item and I wouldn�t be able to get it back. I kept it around for a few levels in case I needed it. I eventually sold it. Or am I going to miss that eventually?

I am at level 15 right now. I have not done much grinding, so I am pretty far behind the curve as far as equipment goes.

I would also find it helpful if, in your narration, you would list your stats at, say, levels 10, 15, 20. This way I can compare my character to yours. I know you are running for optimization, but I would like to be able to compare so that if I have too much attack bonus and not enough damage bonus, then I should put my level advances into damage. Right now, I don�t have a clue. I just pick what I need based on what I have seen in combat lately.

Thanks for the guidance.

BHD
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Bad Hair Day wrote:I was reluctant to sell the poisoned dagger I picked up (I think in the snake cave) because when I tried to sell it the computer warned me that it was a one of a kind item and I wouldn�t be able to get it back. I kept it around for a few levels in case I needed it. I eventually sold it. Or am I going to miss that eventually?
You won't miss that one, because there are much better weapons available. But you should heed that warning. If you don't then at some point you may sell one you will regret later. Possibly a lot ;)
Link

Post by Link »

Bad Hair Day wrote:Dear Link,

Thank you so much for creating the guide. I found it to be tremendously helpful and enjoyable. I particularly liked that you were giving advice and took care to not to spoil the fun along the way. It was very helpful to be told which quests were within reach at which levels. It was also nice that you didn�t give away any plot details as well. I also found your equipment advice to be most helpful. I am not trying to optimize my character with every single equipment buy. I have no desire to learn the math algorithms that lead to concluding that sword X has a 0.02% stronger rate of return than sword Y. But I also don�t want to buy a 400GP sword that has a 5% attack bonus when a 420GP sword has a 10% attack bonus but is available in a different smithy.

I also enjoy your advice about which pieces of equipment I should have at what point along the way. I put on Vacna�s boots as soon as I could, and that was fun.

I was reluctant to sell the poisoned dagger I picked up (I think in the snake cave) because when I tried to sell it the computer warned me that it was a one of a kind item and I wouldn�t be able to get it back. I kept it around for a few levels in case I needed it. I eventually sold it. Or am I going to miss that eventually?

I am at level 15 right now. I have not done much grinding, so I am pretty far behind the curve as far as equipment goes.

I would also find it helpful if, in your narration, you would list your stats at, say, levels 10, 15, 20. This way I can compare my character to yours. I know you are running for optimization, but I would like to be able to compare so that if I have too much attack bonus and not enough damage bonus, then I should put my level advances into damage. Right now, I don�t have a clue. I just pick what I need based on what I have seen in combat lately.

Thanks for the guidance.

BHD
Wow, thanks for these really nice lines. They are very motivating.
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to continue the guide, even though the model character "Linkus", has surpassed level 40 by now. Fact is, I started my new job in the Maldives as a marine biologist/dive instructor and that keeps me quite busy as you might imagine. Just today a very naughty little moray bit my finger while I was trying to take a picture of a Lionfish, Black Cheek Moray to be exact. Cheeky little buggers, indeed.

In case anyone is interested in more details, check out these sites:
Website (last post is in English, rest German): http://www.lifendive.com/blog/2014/03/2 ... baa-atoll/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lifendive (Please feel free to like and share as much as you like. You can help us in this way.)

Link

Post by Link »

Hi everyone,

long time nothing to hear from me and I'm very sorry for that. However, I'm still on building this character in my extremely scarce free time.
But here is a quick update on the current stats of Linkus:

Level: 45 (1.650.319 Exp)
AP (Attack points total/costs): 12/3
AC (Attack Chance): 236%
AD (Attack Damage): 26-39
BC (Block Chance): 74%
HP (Health Points): 109

Skills:
Fighting Speed - 2
Quick Learner - 1 (that one was wasted!!!)
Corpse Eater - 2 (LOVE IT!!!)
Increasing Fortitude - 3 (Next Skill point will go in here too)
Regeneration - 1
Fighting Style Dual Wield - 2

If you want to know why I don't manage to write more content into this guide, read this post:
http://www.lifendive.com/blog/2014/07/2 ... nstructor/

All the best from the Maldives,
Link