v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

whispers at the corner table

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: whispers at the corner table

Post by fiernaq »

BBcode forums really aren't ideal for free-flow discussion. The original forums (think greek philosophers) had a system that worked for voiced discussion (not written). One person would start a discussion on a particular topic and then other people would address the topic one at a time with valid discussion. Things like "+1" or "oh look, a squirrel!" were reduced to simple applause and cheers in between "posts" and were not given complete posts themselves. That's why a lot of forums use a reputation system or the simpler +1 mechanic on individual posts to limit topics to just relevant discussion.

Other features that bring this more inline with an actual forum are topic shoutboxes (mis-nomer since they originated as people whispering about the topic while someone else was talking about it), moderated round table discussions (require nomination, invitation, or reputation to post), white-boarding (brainstorm ideas as words or phrases instead of complete posts), topic and post previews (topic preview being a manually updated summary of major topics while post preview is just the first few lines of the post you're previewing), and many, many others. Unfortunately, most publicly available forum software won't include all of those features which leaves you with picking and choosing which ones you really want and which ones you can do without or else custom building your own forum.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

ctnbeh13 wrote:
Sarumar wrote:Once again i need to give +1 to you Ctnbeh13 ! Your post are gold! But at same time my head hurts (perhaps thanks for my limited skill of english) and I am forced to give you also -1..... Can you please express your thought more shortly please please ?
I wish to offer you my appreciation, and hopefully an acceptable explanation regarding my writing, as well as the customary length of each.

In part, what you have already addressed is true. Even for those whose native language isn't American English, I have come to realize that even among those who are extremely fluent in American English, my vocabulary and descriptive text often introduce words for which a similar word in another language either doesn't exist or convey the full or accurate meaning. That is my limitation with only being able to read and write American English.

As far as the length of my average posts, there are many reasons for that, which I will try not to cover them all. :)

Obviously I fall into a minority grouping of people who don't really care for the societal norm of brief, incomplete, and insincere communication by any means.

I enjoy playing a casual game of chess on occasion. I'm not a Grandmaster or even anything close. I do try to stem the tide of potential follow up posts that may request clarification or additional information.

I also try to encourage the free flow exchange of thoughts and ideas, while not doing so to encourage the brief statements that follow one another like a text messaging exchange. Too many times have I been notified by email that a new post was made under a topic that I'm subscribed to, every couple of minutes, only to find some form of empty exchange that would be more appropriate for Twitter.

The Fallhaven Tavern is a great section of the forum where people can freely discuss just about anything, as long as the Forum Rules are followed. However, and I must state, in my opinion, there are many examples even here, where the use of the forum's private messaging system should probably be taken advantage of.

I have some awareness of how I and/or my writing is perceived, both in the general sense, as well as to certain members of the forum community. It is in part due to this, as well as feedback such as you've provided, that my posts and presence on the forum are limited. ;)
+1 Dude i love you

all the best
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

found this interesting topic and now thinks that I have to show my stats to challenge you lord sarumar.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

i think i smell smoke... :o

is something on fire? :shock:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Another classic thread resurrected.

Has anybody heard any good rumors lately?
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

what, you don't smell that?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Embrace the Shadow"

Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

nyktos wrote:i think i smell smoke... :o

is something on fire? :shock:
I'm a little slow today. I just realized the message here. But it took pyrizzle being back for me to figure out the criptc message.
Last edited by Antison on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Rumor has it that there's a Firebug residing in the caves full of Shadow Gargoyles... He's searching for something...

Poor Mael is going to be left alone so he can watch as I destroy thousands of his minions in search of my precious.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

just messaged Sarumar...

it's been ages, trying to bring the old ones back...

one... by... one... :twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

That would be cool
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6