v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

A prologue to Andor's Trail

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
lakra
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

A prologue to Andor's Trail

Post by lakra »

When playing through the game and even trying to contribute quests I stumbled upon the wiki (andorstrail.com/wiki). I recognized it as a nice source of background information but there are some things, where I had my own visions for filling some holes in the backstory.

So this is my view of a possible prologue to the game, with my view of the conflict between Nor City and Feygard:

Generations ago, the whole country was united under the royal banner of King Luthor. He was a righteous, strong leader. A man, the people would follow through the deepest and darkest hours, through the hardest periods of time -a man that would lead by example. The streets and trade routes were safe places guarded by the Feygard Royal Guard -a strong, well trained army of loyal soldiers. They protected the borders against monstrous threats, like the Gornauds in the Western lands, dark cultists from the Eastern misguided barbarians and they stood their ground against rising undead Lichs who tried to awake unholy armies in the deep, dark caves of forgotten landscapes.
People lived in peace with each other, honoring the law that was given to them by their King. Even different religions were tolerated in the forgotten kingdom. Every man and woman was allowed to follow their own gods, perform their own rituals, as long as they wouldn't try to convince other people to follow their ideals by force.

But dark clouds came up on the horizon. The King had misfortune with his wife. She died, before a son could have been born. So their was no heir to the throne, no legitimized prince. When the King took his last breath, the nobles started to arguee about their rights to claim the throne.

The Lords, once rulers of the bigger cities like Charwood, Blackwater, even Feygard and Nor City went to war. Some thought with their armies, some tried to build their power on a construct of lies and intrigues. But the price wasn't paid by the rich aristocrates, the price was paid by the simple people. The farmers, who lost their farms, the traders, who lost the safe routes between the cities and the soldiers, who lost their lifes in countless skirmishes and battles. Now, with the absence of the strong Feygard Royal Guard, the dark cultists started to secretly invade the county, building their unholy temples in the dark forgotten caves, performing their rituals and summoning unthought, unspoken evils. The monstrous armies saw their chance, to grab a piece of the former untouchable country, to get revenge for their lost wars. They only had to wait, until the last resistance was shattered by the private wars between the land lords.

Then, with most of the country side being burned to ashes, most of the Lords dead or ran away, two revolutions seemed to turn the fate of the tormented country.

In Feygard, Lord Geomyr climbed the throne as an "administrator of the Kingdom, until a new King would be crowned". People may be questioning his motives, but he restored order in Feygard and rebuilt the Feygard Royal Guard. After cementing his power in the former capital, he started to send out couriers to announce his demand for leadership and his goal to reinstall the old glory of the Kingdom. Some cities answered his message, some cities ignored him and some were offended by him. Not much after that, Feygard sent out troops. First, they rebuilt the Crossroads Guard House to secure the wide farm lands of Loneford. Woodcutters swarmed out, to cut down the trees and to expand the fields so the people of Feygard won't have to suffer from starvation anymore. More troops were sent to Blackwater and Charwood, to get access to the ore, they were digging out of the mountains. Ore, to create powerful weapons. Feygard started to get influence in most of the cities but they were unable to reinstall the old borders or to defend them. The army was only a shadow of the old glory. Many of the officers were corrupt, aiming to get their own benefits from those unsteady times.

The second big change was the revolution in Nor City. The former Land Lord was lynched by revolutioners. The strongest powerblock in Nor City was by far the cult of the shadow. The former priests became interested in the affairs of politics, offering a more self-determined future to the simple towns men under the banner of the shadow. Offering consolation to the widows and orphans, offering inspiration to armed forces, offering salvation for everybody who wanted to follow their ideals. They even experimented with necromancy, searching for a way to extend their lifetime or to awake long gone relatives. People were fascinated by the priests, who also created potions of decedents which were able to cure most of the common sufferings and even heal wounds from fights. People admitted those things and built cathedrals for their new spiritual leaders.

With the growing influence of the shadow cult Lord Geomyr became jealous of their success of spreading their words and was afraid of losing some of his own influence and power. He tried to force people under his banner, to apply pressure with increased military presence. He even prohibited rituals of the shadow and started to persecute priests who refused to give up on their practices.

Contrary to Feygard, Nor City didn't have a strong army. They were able to defend their city, but couldn't protect their chapels in the surrounding villages by armed forces. So they started a guerilla war, sabotating military convois, skirmishing with small patrols and recruiting free agents as spies or assassins. Feygard tried to fight those rebels with its Royal Guard, but was unable to gain successes against this enemy lurking in the shadows.

This is the time, where two brothers were up to forge their fate, to change the face of this country.
Last edited by lakra on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakra
Lvl: 76 XP: 7890637 AP: 12/3 HP: 249 AC: 394% AD: 58-65 CHS: -29 BC: 140% DR: 3
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 1 MC: 1 CS: 2 CE: 1 IF: 5
Reg: 1 WP:Da: 3 WP:1S: 1 AP:L: 3 FS:DW: 2 S:DW: 1
RoLS: 1
Status Effects: SR
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: A prologue to Andor's Trail

Post by ace »

Nice idea but You are forgetting a legend, king luthar.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
lakra

Post by lakra »

Hm, seems I didn't recognize this one when playing through. Could you give me a hint where to find this legend?
lakra
ace
VIP

Post by ace »

when you have to get a key in order to enter in the lower fallhaven or the basement of thieves guild. you have to enter the catacombs of fallhaven. loadar also talks about it when you obtains the broken sword.

and also I had an idea of similar nature but related to the house southeast of crossglen so what about if we merge our ideas then it will be awesome quest uncovering the truths of this world. you can find that here
Melarec

Post by Melarec »

Under the church. Fallhaven? Meh..
The one where you go to find the key to get for the Bandits. In the catacombs with the ghosts and spectres and the gargoyle. You fight the ghost of King Luther at the end.. iirc.. (Its been a while. ;) )

Edit: Herp.. Ace got his post in while I was typing...
lakra

Post by lakra »

ace wrote:
when you have to get a key in order to enter in the lower fallhaven or the basement of thieves guild. you have to enter the catacombs of fallhaven. loadar also talks about it when you obtains the broken sword.

and also I had an idea of similar nature but related to the house southeast of crossglen so what about if we merge our ideas then it will be awesome quest uncovering the truths of this world. you can find that here
Edited the name of the King in the story. I would be glad if those stories could help developing quests and I'm totally fine of merging the ideas. I planned to write some more short stories to develope an environment for quest writers, where they could possibly find inspiration or ideas. Here are some of the topics, I wanted to work on:

- Thieve's Guild and its role in the conflict (are they an independant guild with own interests maybe manipulating both sides or are they just a tool of Nor City?)
- Remgard as an independant City which possibly tries to refuse the dominance of Feygard
- the new city for the content update (I already wrote a pm to Zukero with options for that) with description on the role and maybe some NPC's where people could develope quests
- The influence of the destroyed path to the mines of Blackwater and the destroyed city of Charwood (no more access to ore, so a problem of weapon production for both sides)

Maybe we could collect ideas here for giving the world some more depth.
lakra
ace
VIP

Post by ace »

@lakra: I thought this story after reading the journal in BWM cabin. but this will just explain how all these things like shadow and light came into existence and when the creator fedup with these two he created humans that didn't possessed any special powers and he also made some other powerful creatures to look upon humans. but this don't tells after beginning of humanity what happened like your story does.
so if you are ok with merging these two ideas then write your stories chapter wise for sure we are going to write the book calomyran secrets :) . and further pm if any question startles you.