v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

What should I do (or go) now?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Gaya
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

What should I do (or go) now?

Post by Gaya »

Hey, guys! First, let me say I adore the game, even though the difficulty to level up and kill some monsters makes me so frustrated. I'd like your opinion on the way I'm distributing the experience and skills points and all that and where I could go next- I started playing Andor's almost a month ago and let me tell you only got through some parts reading some posts here (you guys are lifesavers!).
So, I've just turned level 23, with total experience of 209533 points, 75HP, 169%AC, 11-22AD, Attack Cost of 4AP, BC53%, Critical Hit Skill of 14, Critical Multiplier 2.0, Effective Critical Chance of 11% and Damage Resistance 1 (Not much yet, I know)

I currently have 13615 Gold, 199 Meat, 97 Regular Potions of Health, 93 Minor Vials of Health (both acquired in endless grinding).

The equipment I'm wearing consists of Fine Green Hat, Fine Shirt, Irogotu's Necklace, Flagstone's Pride, Strong Wooden Tower Shield, Troublemaker's Ring, Ring of the Guardian, Troublemaker's Gloves and Vacor's Boots of Attack (I have my eye on the Ring of the Protector, but I'll have to get more gold first. The one I have I plan to buy bonemeals with it.

The skill points I had so far I distributed: Weapon Accuracy (2), Hard Hit (1), Dodge (1) and Magic Finder (1)

As for the quests, I've completed all that appeared so far, except A Lost Potion, The Path Is Clear To Me and Destined For Great Things (I know Search For Andor and Lost Treasures are impossible to complete as of this moment, so I didn't include.

Anyway, I've been to Fallhaven, Flagstone Prision, Vileguard, Foaming Flask, Gargoyle Cavern, Snake Cavern, Wolf Cavern, Crossroads Guardhouse and Loneford. I've tried killing that troll on the bridge but I'm not that strong yet. I tried to go east of Loneford, but the monsters are too tough and just about endless(and I had like, 4 bonemeals left and am spretty sure I wasn't even halfway there). Luckily I had one slot saved just before I had entered and just loaded that. I even ventured (despite reading on other posts) entering Blackwater but considering killing those rabid hounds made me turn around.

I've tried going through the river shore south of Loneford but there are just too many poisonous monsters. I've been using the Snake Cave, Flagstone and Gargoyle Cave to do some grinding, but I'd like to know, do you think there's somewhere else I could go where I wouldn't wound up unconscious (and therefore loosing those precious ex points)? And what do you think of my stats? I would sure love some feedback.
palemantle
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Re: What should I do (or go) now?

Post by palemantle »

*waves* Not an experienced player by any means but here's my 2 p anyway:

1 - Regeneration (lvl 28) would make hit-and-run tactics practical and would save you gold in the form of potions/food. The troll that you mention - with no movement or actor conditions - then becomes a ripe "withdraw, then return" (curious to know if anyone recognizes that obscure reference) target. Improved Fortitue (starting lvl 5) is a skill that's touted as a must-have too.

2 - You mention your DR being "not much". You can bump that up with a cheap-and-cheerful armor upgrade (easy-to-find vendor). If you whack that troll (and finish a certain quest), you can get even nicer armors too. A necklace upgrade (vendor again) can also get you more DR although other opportunities exist on the necklace front.

3 - In terms of places to visit, BWM should - with some care - be doable at your current level, and the parts east of Loneford not long after. You mention "Destined for Great Things". That's one you could pursue too.

I'll shut up now and leave it to people who actually know what they are talking about :D
Tagnar
Lvl: 29, XP: 40493, AP: 11/7, HP: 94, AC: 153%, AD: 9-20, CHS: 15, CM: 2.0, BC: 116%, DR: 5
Skills: BS: 2, CS: 1 (damn Kazaul Rotworms!), DS: 1 (thanks Kazaul Rotworms!), IF: 2, Reg: 1
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

At that level, I agree BWM should be doable. Grinding back and forth along the Dulein Road should get you more xp than snake cave and rabid dogs. And get Jewel of Fallhaven.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Push your boundaries:

Try BWM -> do some preliminary Green Maze -> beat the Troll west of Gaurdhouse -> complete the Gaurdhouse quest by going past the dead Troll

By completing Loneford and Gaurdhouse quests, I have always had a good gold bump.
Voom
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

There are some very important skill choices that you did not take:

1) Increased Fortitude. For each level of this your base HP increase by 1 for every level gained. An absolute minimum for this skill is 1 level, because then your max HP gradually builds over time (I personally consider 2 levels to be a minimum, but not everyone agrees with me :D ). Ideally, to get maximum benefit it should be taken as early as possible. This should, without question, be your next skill.

2) Regeneration. With this skill you recover hit points over time, even with no potions or food. It's very useful, because it allows you stand in corners and heal. You need 1 level of this.

3) Combat speed. This adds action points to your total. You can get no more than 2 levels of this, but you should get both. In your position I'm not sure if I would take Re1 then CS1, or the other way round, but those should be your next 2 skills after IF1. You can't get CS2 until level 30, but by the time you have IF1, Re1, and CS1 you will be there, so the next skill after those should be CS2. Only CS1 is not much use on it's own, but see below. With CS2 you get 3 attacks per round with a 4AP weapon rather then only 2 attacks per round, so a 50% increase in damage. There is no other way to spend 2 skill points that will get you this much of a damage boost.

You should also get the Jewel of Falhaven. It lowers your attack cost by 1, so a 4AP weapon becomes a 3AP weapon. That means with a 4AP weapon you will get 3 attacks per round instead of only 2. With the JoF and CS2 you will get 4 attacks per round. I said CS1 is not much use on it's own, but it is useful with the JoF and either the Cowards Boots or the Villain's Leather Armor. The latter two items lower your move cost by 1, so with CS1 and JoF and a 4AP weapon you can get two attacks per round and a chance to flee.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
BethelAbba
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by BethelAbba »

Sell the meat -- grab Bonemeal potions --- that will get you through the troll on the bridge.

there are more quests that you haven't done yet.... keep looking, they're out there. At 23rd level, I rather doubt you've finished "I have it in me". I'm 53rd level at the moment, and grinding towards 56... before I even start that one.

The other folks here have given you other options... they have far more experience in playing this and working out the game mechanics than I do (I've only been playing roughly 2 years) but suffice it to say, if you stock pile the Bonemeal potions, you're grinding will be tons easier. Right now I have been grinding in the same area from level 42, and my stats show 905 Strong Maonit Trolls killed.... with similar numbers for all other Maonit variations. I have 780 Bonemeal potions (and 190 COOKED meat) and that makes it so grinding isn't a --- KILL, KILL, KILL... wait, wait, wait.... KILL, KILL, KILL --- event. I'm actually grinding through 6 full screens of the map, rather than waiting out one section to restock it's monster supply (and likewise awaiting for my health points to come back up.)

Bonemeals.... they really are a great way to go, if you don't mind being a bit *ahem* illegal. :D
Last edited by BethelAbba on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alsa - Lvl:60, HP:174 AC:230%, AD:27-34 BC:174%, DR:4 BM used: 12 (Lodars)
Most Kills: Shdw Garg Mstr:3700(+3281 trnrs)
Gold:313,705 | HoF: 1 ChaR: 2
WA: 2, HH: 2, Clv: 2, IF: 3, Re: 3, MF: 2, DP: 2, LAP: 1, HAP: 1
BethelAbba
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by BethelAbba »

Oh, and early on.... Blackwater Mountain is one of the best places to grind.
Alsa - Lvl:60, HP:174 AC:230%, AD:27-34 BC:174%, DR:4 BM used: 12 (Lodars)
Most Kills: Shdw Garg Mstr:3700(+3281 trnrs)
Gold:313,705 | HoF: 1 ChaR: 2
WA: 2, HH: 2, Clv: 2, IF: 3, Re: 3, MF: 2, DP: 2, LAP: 1, HAP: 1
Berogarn
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Berogarn »

Gaya wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:40 am Hey, guys! First, let me say I adore the game, even though the difficulty to level up and kill some monsters makes me so frustrated. I'd like your opinion on the way I'm distributing the experience and skills points and all that and where I could go next- I started playing Andor's almost a month ago and let me tell you only got through some parts reading some posts here (you guys are lifesavers!).
So, I've just turned level 23, with total experience of 209533 points, 75HP, 169%AC, 11-22AD, Attack Cost of 4AP, BC53%, Critical Hit Skill of 14, Critical Multiplier 2.0, Effective Critical Chance of 11% and Damage Resistance 1 (Not much yet, I know)

I currently have 13615 Gold, 199 Meat, 97 Regular Potions of Health, 93 Minor Vials of Health (both acquired in endless grinding).

The equipment I'm wearing consists of Fine Green Hat, Fine Shirt, Irogotu's Necklace, Flagstone's Pride, Strong Wooden Tower Shield, Troublemaker's Ring, Ring of the Guardian, Troublemaker's Gloves and Vacor's Boots of Attack (I have my eye on the Ring of the Protector, but I'll have to get more gold first. The one I have I plan to buy bonemeals with it.

The skill points I had so far I distributed: Weapon Accuracy (2), Hard Hit (1), Dodge (1) and Magic Finder (1)

As for the quests, I've completed all that appeared so far, except A Lost Potion, The Path Is Clear To Me and Destined For Great Things (I know Search For Andor and Lost Treasures are impossible to complete as of this moment, so I didn't include.

Anyway, I've been to Fallhaven, Flagstone Prision, Vileguard, Foaming Flask, Gargoyle Cavern, Snake Cavern, Wolf Cavern, Crossroads Guardhouse and Loneford. I've tried killing that troll on the bridge but I'm not that strong yet. I tried to go east of Loneford, but the monsters are too tough and just about endless(and I had like, 4 bonemeals left and am spretty sure I wasn't even halfway there). Luckily I had one slot saved just before I had entered and just loaded that. I even ventured (despite reading on other posts) entering Blackwater but considering killing those rabid hounds made me turn around.

I've tried going through the river shore south of Loneford but there are just too many poisonous monsters. I've been using the Snake Cave, Flagstone and Gargoyle Cave to do some grinding, but I'd like to know, do you think there's somewhere else I could go where I wouldn't wound up unconscious (and therefore loosing those precious ex points)? And what do you think of my stats? I would sure love some feedback.
Hey I just turned lvl 23 as well.
However, my AC 160, AD 7-16, Critical Hit skill 15, BC 60, 61 HP. Although my total Exp is 222906, I am low in skill levels than you I guess.

But I started the Blackwater mountain quests some levels ago and now I am about to finish them.

My advice is, buy some bonemeals, (I usually keep 30 at hand before beginning a difficult quest. I think you can keep a lot more, seeing your gold). Buy some good armour as well.

I have completed path is clear to me and destined for great things as well. So, stop worrying and move forward with a plenty of bonemeal potions and meat at hand. Save constantly.(Having different saving slots helps me. I usually save in one slot before entering a quest area and after that, until I finish the quest, I save in a different slot, so I can withdraw if I feel that I am not up to that particular quest yet.) If I can do those quests with what I have, I am pretty sure you can move forward more confidently since you have more resources than I do.

(My skills: Weapon Accuracy(1), Hard Hit(1), Quick Learner(1), Cleave(1), Increased Fortitude(1): and I got two more skill levels thanks to a quest I completed. I am not going to say which quest or which skill levels, but if you move forward, you will get those two too. - I have only completed 2 more than you, so you can guess it. Make sure you have plenty of bonemeal potions before doing those quests)

Remember, for 'destined for great things', you only need to find 4 people, so if you found 4, then turn around and go back to the charwood cabin, it will give you more experience. And again... about 40 bonemeal potions would really help. It is a difficult quest in our current level, but with bonemeal potions, it is possible. I usually use bonemeal potions and meat together. Try to avoid monsters where possible. If you save constantly, it would be easier.

Also, I constantly revisit and check if I am advanced enough to try some areas which I could not do before, after each level up. That is how I usually find new areas for me to explore and advance in the game.

This is my experience. I am not a very experienced player, but this is how I have come this far. I only started 2 or 3 weeks ago, so my methods may not be good, but they worked well so far.
unknownperson
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by unknownperson »

Hey, mid-gamer right here. So, i am currently playing on the Very Hard difficulty, with FOUR lives left. :shock:
I am currently level 24 with 80 Max HP, 254278 Total Exp, and currently 12924 gold.
My equipment is: Balanced Steel Sword, Two Villain's rings, Chainmail tunic, Superior Iron Shield, JoF, Woodcutter's boots, and Goatskin hat.
I invested my skill points on IF and Re twice, and CS once. I have an extra skill point ready to be invested, but i don't know where.
I have 160 AC, 23-35 AD, 51BC and 2 DR.
And i'm currently grinding for a RoLS or two. Ask me about what should be my next step of plan.

So, like i said, i'm open to suggestions on my current run....I swear, if i die permanently, i'm gonna rage out.
PD Ascendant.
Guyne Ninzo II-Level 60
WA:1 CS:2 IF:3 MF:2 DbotS:1 OneHSProf:3 ShProf:1 LAProf:3 FS-W&S:2 Spe-W&S:1
HoF:1 BD:2 RoLS:1 RoL:0 WMC:0 GoW:1 GoLF:0 VSH:0 SRoV:0 HS:0 ElyR:0 ChaR:0 ShaF:0
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I would save it. At level 30 you can get IF2, and CS2.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1