v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

End round at end of combat

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: End round at end of combat

Post by Voom »

So Corpse Eater is distinctly useful for fighting mobs. I don't think I agree with this change. It will be ignored in favor of Regen as fighting mobs is not as frequent as fighting a single monster at a time. The trade-off of having both rather than just Regen is worse than before this change. In other words, the opportunity cost is greater than the added benefit of Regen-ing when combat ends.

Maybe I'm wrong. I need to rethink this.
Voom
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Fighting multiple foes will likely become more and more important at higher levels. Just a feeling.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

yeah, my new build is focusing on an end-game that i can't predict...

(gotta have a flexible character to test new versions of the game)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

Zukero wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:25 pm Good analysis, but, at a first glance, I'd look into simply changing CombatController.

Try to replace this: ...
by this: ...

Gotta check the side effects though.
Just tried it and it doesn't work. exitCombat() isn't called in newPlayerTurn() when combat ends. It's called from playerActionCompleted(). And actually there are a few other places it seems to get called from like executeMoveAttack(), and MapController.handlePlayerDeath(). Although I think in the case of the latter, if you're dead it won't matter too much.

I agree with Voom that regen would eclipse corpse eater in terms of usefulness if this change was implemented. I'll try my fix next and see if I can't prevent regen from applying in this particular case.
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

OK. With my changes it works. And regen isn't triggered because it's not an actor condition, but sustenance from food like meat does apply. It does what I imagined it to do, making negative effects like bleeding and poison more potent (faster acting) but also giving sustenance a boost, allowing meat to heal faster.

The one thing I think doesn't fit is removing this line

Code: Select all

controllers.gameRoundController.resetRoundTimers();
It makes time flow awkward right after a fight; sometimes a round will end very shortly after, in effect going through two rounds at once.
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

I thought sustenance already ticks as soon as combat finishes. I just don't think the Regen skill should, otherwise it defeats the purpose of Corps Eater. Am I missing something?
Voom
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

Sustenance and negative effects such as poison currently don't tick as soon as combat finishes. It will tick during combat if you don't kill all the enemies in the first round though.

Like explained at the beginning of the thread, because the round timers are reset at the end of combat, if you just string kills fast enough and kill every monster in the first round you can get by without getting either sustenance or affected by negative effects like bleed or poison.

I found a way to correct that. And regen won't tick at the end of combat so corpse eater still has its usefulness.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

I have an issue with this. I breaks the consistency of what a round is.
I'd rather let regen apply, and boost corpse eater to 1-3HP per kill per level.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Zukero wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:10 pm I have an issue with this. I breaks the consistency of what a round is.
I agree. If Re is advertised as +1 HP per round, that's what it should be. IMO, everything that is "per round' should be executed at the end of a round, no matter how the round ends. If that makes CE under powered, then we adjust CE.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

Regen is already a bit of an oddball because it doesn't apply in combat, or when otherwise adjacent to a monster. I don't see why it should apply in this case.