v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

How important are 'consequences' to game-play?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
FDWojo
android_version: 11 - Android 11

How important are 'consequences' to game-play?

Post by FDWojo »

Hello all. I've been dabbling with Andor's Trail (and Deadly Dungeons) for the last 5-6 years. I'll admit I was never much of a 'grinder-player', more casual and in my spare time. But with the 0.71 update (last year ?) and the current beta (0.72), things are looking very interesting. So, now I've been going through the adventures again, trying to get lots further than my previous attempts and taking note of scenarios where you are asked to do some questionable things. I know that in the earlier part of the game you are asked to side for or against the Shadow (Loneford), or when you are in Fallhaven and you confront Larcal in the barn (?) and you kill him without much rhyme or reason for doing it. or later you are asked to choose between Vacna and Unzel. Oops! I mean Vacor and Unzel! [For some reason, I have always tended to think Vecna when I read Vacor (a name that should be familiar for any of you old D&D players]

Now I'll grant that sometimes it's just fun kicking some butt or being the guy who helps someone get even or else doing something to help the Thieves Guild. However, for long term play, I will admit to normally trying to be closer to the Chaotic Good side of things rather than the Lawful Good or (Shadow-forbid) the Chaotic Evil side of things [sorry, just some old knee-jerk D&D terms]

That said, I've seen in a few places here on the board where it's been mentioned that there already are a few requests to do non-Good things in the game with maybe minor plans to make you choices matter. Or maybe it should be said that the goal is to make them matter more in the scheme of things in the world of Dhayavar. So the question is: how much consequences are there currently in the game? Are there any situations in the current version where making a choice will stop you from getting a certain benefit, or vice-versa, make sure you get a benefit for doing something bad. And will that be increasing later on in the game to make things a more difficult choice to make as you play? (maybe when we get to version 1.0?)

Thanks for any responses, I'm really curious to know what you all think. Would you rather play the game and not have to worry too much about the choices you make? Or is the full reverse, that even if you do something questionable (like using BONEMEAL potions even when they're banned, or killing sheep for revenge) will make or break your ability to do certain things in the game?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. May you walk with the Shadow! (Is that even a bad thing?)

FDWojo

P.S. And yes, I know I'm being rather long-winded here...
Kayby is…
using v0.8.6.1
Lvl:57 XP:3360351 AP:12 HP:140 AC:279 AD:32-66 CHS:13 CM:3.0 BC:198 DR:3 ECC:11%
Items: RoLS PRoP Yat RoW AssBla DoSP JoF HoFS
herbert
android_version: 8.0

Re: How important are 'consequences' to game-play?

Post by herbert »

From another thread:
Zukero wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 pm Save early, save often, and make multiple saves at different points of your adventure. This way, you can reverse a decision without starting over.

In principle, there are no good choices, just different ones.
I guess that sums it up quickly ;)
Lvl: 46, XP: 1782863, Gold: 27255, RoLS: 1, SRoV: 1
HP: 125, AC: 221%, AD: 43-52, AP: 12/2, BC: 82%, DR: 8
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

It's a very good question.

Already built in to the game engine is a system for factions. Your alignment with a given faction can be affected by your actions. In theory, anyway, because to date this faction system has hardly been used, and so your actions do not have long term consequences. There are places, for example BWM, where you have to take one side or the other, and once you have chosen it's not reversible, but your choice has no effect beyond BWM. We do definitely want to use this faction system to make your choices have long term consequences, but it's yet another project on the list and there is no specific schedule for it. It is not even clear what the factions will be, beyond the obvious Nor City and Feygard (and getting a higher alignment with one of those will almost always mean a lower alignment with the other). The Thieves guild will almost certainly be another faction. Other than that, it's wide open right now.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
FDWojo
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by FDWojo »

Thanks for the info, herbert, but I was specifically referring to choices made which could have long term effect (like rjackson741 was referring to. I do save often, and *rarely* need to reload, but since you can only have 8 save games slots visible at any one time, it can be a real PitA to deal with more save steps. Still, thank you for the comment.

As for what I mentioned about you, rijackson741, thanks for the update. It's nice to know that one mistake won't block you out of everything that comes later. Yes, BWM seems to be a very large area (i'm only just now starting to get to it), so those repercussions are critical, but at least things would last until the day I die and/or find my brother Andor.

Thanks all!

FDWojo
Kayby is…
using v0.8.6.1
Lvl:57 XP:3360351 AP:12 HP:140 AC:279 AD:32-66 CHS:13 CM:3.0 BC:198 DR:3 ECC:11%
Items: RoLS PRoP Yat RoW AssBla DoSP JoF HoFS