v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Bridge Bug

A place to submit bugs to the Andor's Trail Development Team.
spic
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Bridge Bug

Post by spic »

My character is not able to cross a certain bridge when using my old save games. With a freshly created character however, this is not a problem at all (after a little persuasion).
The Bridge to Guynmart / Feygard, with the guard on it.
In my old savegame there is a "feygard_bridgeguard" and one mention of "guynmart_robber1" and "guynmart_robber2" each while in a (in this regard) functional savegame there is no bridgeguard but the robber1/2 two times each.
Of course you could tell me to start from scratch and enjoy the game once again. Unfortunately, that will not happen. I am enthusiastic about AT and played it from the very beginning (2000? ;). But I am not that type playing such a game 10 times through. So, the only solution for me is to somehow fix this bug for my old savegames. Just trying around with the saves however produced only crashes (about the format I only found out that the name is preceeded by the string length...) - do you have any idea for me how I could get rid of this obsolete bridge guard? Up do now I did not manipulate anything in the game, so the savegame is just as it has been created (and probably migrated internally from version to version?) by AT.

Or maybe there is a fix for the game itself in the making so waiting for the next release could do the trick, too (six years later :)?

Thanks for the great game btw!
Firefly84
android_version: 8.0

Re: Bridge Bug

Post by Firefly84 »

I myself had no problems with this bridge with my farthest save.
Firefly
Lvl: 114, PV: 497, FQ: 63
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, HoF: 0, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 4, SRoV: 6, VSH: 3, WMC: 1, GoW: 1, BD: 1
DP: 0, X: 0, M: 1, BoGt: 1, SotA: 0, RofLS: 1
HP: 505, AC: 262, AD: 89-105, AP: 4 each, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 156, DR: 4
spic

Post by spic »

For me, this bug is also not apparent in all save games. There is an older savegame with my character just at level 22 where the path is clear as it should. Seems to be a matter of luck right now to get the right kind of guard up three.

However, just as I decided to give up on the topic and wait for help my final tinkering did the trick:
Just replace the string feygard_bridgeguard (there is only one in my savegames) by a guynmart_robber1 - and replace the hex 13 in front of the string by an hex 10 (length). I am a little puzzled as to why just this version worked. Without having looked into the source I would have given the ten or so other modifications I tried before a bigger chance since this one looks quite different from what can be seen in the savegame that had been working correctly from the beginning. There seemed to be just one thing wrong in the game mechanics with my fix: the poor robber-guard passed away at the first gentle touch of my characters sword!
So the path is clear for my hero now to continue his restless exploring. Always great fun!
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

I think I can see how this would happen. Very well played hacking your way around. If you happen to have copies of the old, problematic, save, it would be nice of you to post it here.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
spic

Post by spic »

Glad the little hex edit worked. Made for a very pleasant evening yesterday exploring the new area. I very much like this detailed and condensed type of story with a balanced amount of enemies (instead of as in "hordes and hordes of enemies" ;).

Sent the savegame in a PM.
CUCHULAINN3
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by CUCHULAINN3 »

I found if you were in the same region as the bridge and updated the game it happened. But that was me. I fixed my game by editing the script but yeah happened to me too
Sinn Féin~~~saighdiúir éireannach
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

Thanks spic for sharing your save. I also managed to reproduce it using my own saves and returning to the bridge in v0.7.1 before saving again and updating the app.
The issue occurs when your save was made in v0.7.1 less than 3 minutes after last visiting the bridge map.

I will add a patching routine when loading affected old saves in the next version.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
spic

Post by spic »

Thank you for sorting this out. A timing related bug does not sound like the easiest one to track down. And, thanks again for maintaining and developing this game. For me, too, it is *the* best open source android game out there!