v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

new loot notification - yay or nay? (toast including items)

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.

Do you want this type of notification or i'm the only one?

Yay!
83%
Nay!
17%
Meh, whatever (I won't use it but why not include it for those who want it)
No votes

Total votes: 6

ghormoon
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

new loot notification - yay or nay? (toast including items)

Post by ghormoon »

Hi,

I've been all the game switching between toasts when not looking for anything specific and toast + dialog for items when searching for quest items/legends. but you have to click through a lot of pebbles and other garbage. how about a toast that says the items also? See screens.

Will need to figure how to get the proper item name (it wants the player object to get players name (I guess some items use it?), but I can't figure out how to get it from that context yet) it's alive!

Not tested yet what happens with a lot of drops (does anyone pls have save before finishing up hirazin or something that drops a lot? guess the notification is fine.
Screenshot_20190226-160752.png
Screenshot_20190226-170953.png

EDIT: I guess you can fit a lot in the toast:
Screenshot_20190226-164923.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: new loot notification - yay or nay? (toast including items)

Post by rijackson741 »

Ha Ha. Someone has read THGTTG :)
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ghormoon

Post by ghormoon »

I've had some issues with intellij fixing linebreaks for me (some file have inconsistent) so i did it separately to not get random things like that included with commits: https://github.com/ghormoon/andors-trai ... linebreaks

and then the code itself: https://github.com/ghormoon/andors-trai ... tive_toast (based upon the previous branch)

both came out of tag v0.7.5
is it ok like this? should i shoot the pull requests against master or where?

edit:
i'm thinking if I should do similar for loots from ground before actually merging it ...
Last edited by ghormoon on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that this will not be included as is, not because the change is not worth it, but because the Android team broke something with toasts in Android 9, backported by some vendors in Android 8.1, that make AT (and countless other apps) crash when a toast is created while a previous one is still displayed.

See here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/519 ... -p-preview

To deal with this, the solution is to use a custom re-implementation of the Toast feature. I already found some free-to-modify code on the web that can serve as a drop-in replacement for toasts, but that also use a custom layout, meaning we can customize its look further (use the selected AT theme, display icons...). See here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/ ... 6#comment8

If you want to try to refactor our usage of Toasts using the fix proposed above, and even try to make the custom layout using the theme's background, you're more than welcome to try, and see what you can come up with!
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
ghormoon

Post by ghormoon »

Honestly, I've seen android development for first time (apart of one hello work at uni course i stopped attending after first class), but might try, this seems as something that will need to be done anyway, can't promise any timeframe though.

Do you have internaly any sort of "freezes" for testing? i.e. is there any "deadline" when it needs to be included in 0.7.6?

honestly, the toasts now are not 100% reliable anyway. if you fight/click too fast, you see only some of them, but i think it was happening with the previous ones too. (hehe, " the new toast just overrides the old toast and starts again. " this is why :) - from the first link)
Capeditiea

Post by Capeditiea »

:O that kind of HGTTG notification would be awesome.

Don't Panic.
:3
Player Name: ESC LVL: 47 (ChillIin' with Kayla, awaiting next update.)
Player Name: E LVL: 28 (The Fated No IF Build)
i am spoiler happy now that i have figured it out. :3
:D
ghormoon

Post by ghormoon »

That was just filler to check if I can put a lot of text there (the original toast had limit of 60 chars so i set 6000 there and put some random text), it's just a placeholder for a lot of lines with item drops, in reality now it just shows the items :)
I just disliked that the toast had a lot of useless text around and not saying what you actually dropped. So i made mine.
Capeditiea

Post by Capeditiea »

ghormoon wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:45 pm That was just filler to check if I can put a lot of text there (the original toast had limit of 60 chars so i set 6000 there and put some random text), it's just a placeholder for a lot of lines with item drops, in reality now it just shows the items :)
I just disliked that the toast had a lot of useless text around and not saying what you actually dropped. So i made mine.
well... i request that we use this. because it is necessary! especial since most of the time we're just going crazy anyways so if a randomizer would be implimented into this with some cute little demonic awesome saying of doom, then we would be able to keep striving forward in getting RoLS... but the dark side of this all, we may have some folk end up sleep deprived hoping to see one of these cleverly amazing inspirational sayings that provide us just a little push into obtaining the RoL. :3 which could be in relation to like the dead kinda rebuddling with words like, "ugh, you killed me... here is this bone." or "i have a bone to pick with you."

:O but then the game could potentially cheesy. which at this point you are left with some crazy mob outside of your house probably a bunch of folk that were lost in
the green maze
IRL! :O that would be scary, however the game has developed a conscious and carefully tells you, "Go to sleep, you could be hallucinating currently."

which is probably what i should do... :D
Player Name: ESC LVL: 47 (ChillIin' with Kayla, awaiting next update.)
Player Name: E LVL: 28 (The Fated No IF Build)
i am spoiler happy now that i have figured it out. :3
:D
ghormoon

Post by ghormoon »

Tjat would need much more coding than just iterating through lost of drops :D
I can imagine that this is a property of the item itself and there's some option to enablw that, but I'm not sure it it woild be accepted. I think someone was aready suggesting some jokes which were denied